Worst Intro By A Customer Ever

Business By costumeczar Updated 29 May 2014 , 2:14pm by kblickster

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 May 2014 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 14

I just got a call where a lady started off by saying this: "I need a birthday cake in the shape of a dog, for about 15-20 people, and I need someone to make it for a reasonable price...That wouldn't be you, right?" :?

13 replies
pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 27 May 2014 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 14

Bet she thinks a reasonable price is $30!

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 27 May 2014 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 14

AI love the 'reasonable price' comment. It's right about there that I know I probably won't get the order. Because my 'reasonable' is most certainly NOT the same as yours!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 27 May 2014 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 14

AWhen someone starts like that, I always find it challenging to restrain myself from explaining what is reasonable and what's not or just hanging up on them.

Adding the "that wouldn't be you" part might just be enough to send me over the edge and say something like you're right, I have to charge enough to put food on the table. You're looking for someone without those sorts of concerns.

I've never said that, but it's been on the tip of my tongue many a time.

howsweet Posted 27 May 2014 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 14

ABut in a helpful tone of voice, of course haha :)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 14

I'm betting you won't be making her cake, Or she'll end up being one of your best customers. Good luck.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 May 2014 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 14

Oh, I passed on the opportunity. What I don't undertand is why, if she was so sure I wouldn't do it for what she considers to be a reasonable price, she called me to begin with? Hope springs eternal.

howsweet Posted 27 May 2014 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 14

ROTFLMAO!!! :lol:

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 28 May 2014 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 14

"Oh, would that be the price for the shelter adoption or will that be for a pure bred?"  ($425 here to adopt from the shelter and about $1000-5000 for the purebred from the breeder LOL)..  I'm going to be the oddball out here but you NEVER know when you're going to have someone who wants to keep things reasonable for a shape cake at $300 budget and want the shape more than the servings...  You never know until you ask... 

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 28 May 2014 , 7:10pm
post #10 of 14

It's like a cake pickup line!!!! Where's the wingman?

She wanted to get creative hoping maybe she could pick you up by her wittiness? 

Love it. 

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 28 May 2014 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I need someone to make it for a reasonable price...That wouldn't be you, right?" :?

That's a new one to me. Wow.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 29 May 2014 , 12:08pm
post #12 of 14

You could look on it as a backhanded compliment, she knew of your reputation, knew you weren't cheap, that makes you NOT the cheap cake maker in town :grin:

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 29 May 2014 , 1:44pm
post #13 of 14

AI gotta say, the word "reasonable" makes me see red!

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 29 May 2014 , 2:14pm
post #14 of 14

I have brides all the time that are looking for a "reasonable" wedding cake.  I try to keep my response "reasonable".  

"I would love to help you keep your cake cost "reasonable", but I haven't figured out a way to bake, decorate, deliver, and set up a wedding cake for 150 in a "reasonable" amount of time."  

Usually squelches their "reasonable" expectations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%