Why Should I Pay You More For A Box Cake,cupcake,cookie?

Lounge By peppercorns Updated 28 May 2014 , 5:43am by SystemMod1

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 27 May 2014 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 35

AAnyone can bake from a box, follow instructions and be done with it. But wait a minute, I thought you're baking my cake from scratch, and that is why I pay more? Explain.

34 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 27 May 2014 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 35

As a customer I would ask and expect it to be a scratch cake if I am paying premium price, but that is because I bake myself. I suppose non bakers wouldn't care and are paying for the artistry of the decorator. Anything bespoke, hand knitting,cake art or simply unique would be worth paying for IF.....and thats the rub IF I couldn't do it myself.

peppercorns Posted 27 May 2014 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 35

A

Original message sent by cakebaby2

As a customer I would ask and expect it to be a scratch cake if I am paying premium price, but that is because I bake myself. I suppose non bakers wouldn't care and are paying for the artistry of the decorator. Anything bespoke, hand knitting,cake art or simply unique would be worth paying for IF.....and thats the rub IF I couldn't do it myself.

ditto!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 27 May 2014 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 35

So you didn't really have a question?

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 27 May 2014 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 35

A

Original message sent by peppercorns

Anyone can bake from a box, follow instructions and be done with it. But wait a minute, I thought you're baking my cake from scratch, and that is why I pay more? Explain.

"more" than what? More than the cost of the cake mix?

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 27 May 2014 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 35

AAre you trying to instigate a war between scratch baking vs. from the box? Because that has been done before. What is the purpose of your this thread again?

stefkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefkovic Posted 27 May 2014 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 35

I start with a box cake mix as my base. And I have to measure, pour and dump in my bowl the same as you, the scratch baker. Only thing I don't measure and dump is the flour, sugar and leavening. I put just as much work and time into my cake as you do yours, so why am I not going to charge it?

peppercorns Posted 27 May 2014 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 35

A

Original message sent by thecakewitch

Are you trying to instigate a war between scratch baking vs. from the box? Because that has been done before. What is the purpose of your this thread again?

done before? I'm a baker and a customer as well, most of the time I can tell the difference between box cake and from scratch, whenever I go to a different place, state, country, continent, I always look for a good place for tea. Forgive me if I recall this one visit, 30 km south of Munich is a town called Bad Tolz, there is an awesome bake shop that doubles as a tea garden . They have a large selection of scrumptious desserts to choose from albeit expensive, but I came back a few times, and even now I can see their display, I don't know about you but I eat with my eyes first. Oh yes beautifully decorated cakes but will I go back and buy your stuff again and again?

peppercorns Posted 27 May 2014 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 35

A

Original message sent by Sassyzan

"more" than what? More than the cost of the cake mix?

Hmmpp. Not starting a heated argument but the bottom line is I'm your customer, would I be going back to buy your product again and again and not only that but do advertising for your product free as well?

howsweet Posted 27 May 2014 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 35

AIf only it were that simple. Some customers have never even tasted cake from some scratch. Where are they going to get it?

Most people are so bombarded with foods that are engineered to make you take another bite that their pallets aren't conditioned to appreciate the subtle goodness of a scratch cake. White almond sour cream cake is so popular, I've had new customers request it before I even tell them my flavors.

I do both scratch and mixed based recipes.

peppercorns Posted 27 May 2014 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 35

A

Original message sent by howsweet

If only it were that simple. Some customers have never even tasted cake from some scratch. Where are they going to get it?

Most people are so bombarded with foods that are engineered to make you take another bite that their pallets aren't conditioned to appreciate the subtle goodness of a scratch cake. White almond sour cream cake is so popular, I've had new customers request it before I even tell them my flavors.

I do both scratch and mixed based recipes.

I agree flourless cake and use almond instead. Guess what I mill my own almond and make marzipan from scratch.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:40pm
post #12 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppercorns 

Anyone can bake from a box, follow instructions and be done with it. But wait a minute, I thought you're baking my cake from scratch, and that is why I pay more? Explain.

anyone....... are you sure     ha ha ha ha     poor Betty Crocker, so misunderstood.

bilbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bilbo Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 35

I pre-qualify by customers and you sound like a pita. Why would I want to even waste my time dealing with you?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 27 May 2014 , 10:41pm
post #14 of 35

A

Original message sent by peppercorns

I agree flourless cake and use almond instead. Guess what I mill my own almond and make marzipan from scratch.

So......your niche market is very small and even only a few of them would have any appreciation of those facts-good for you. Not everyone can appeal to the mass market--and you've clearly chosen not to....that doesn't make you any 'better' than others, just 'different'.....

My clients love my cakes and return to me over and over. They want what I provide--just as your customers do, I would imagine. My clients want to pay for what I provide--why should anyone have an argument with that?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 May 2014 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 35

A

Original message sent by maybenot

So......your niche market is very small and even only a few of them would have any appreciation of those facts-good for you. Not everyone can appeal to the mass market--and you've clearly chosen not to....that doesn't make you any 'better' than others, just 'different'.....

My clients love my cakes and return to me over and over. They want what I provide--just as your customers do, I would imagine. My clients want to pay for what I provide--why should anyone have an argument with that?

Well said!

AZCouture Posted 27 May 2014 , 10:54pm
post #16 of 35

AI don't even get the original post, was that a question, a statement, wondering out loud, trying to get opinions?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 May 2014 , 10:54pm
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 
....that doesn't make you any 'better' than others, just 'different'.....

Different, yes that's the word, thank you maybenot. So different, in many ways.

MimiFix Posted 27 May 2014 , 11:02pm
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I don't even get the original post, was that a question, a statement, wondering out loud, trying to get opinions?

I was pondering this same thing, AZ. At first I thought it was just to start a conversation, to have a yakfest. But as the thread moved along I thought it was intended more as a bragfest.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 27 May 2014 , 11:13pm
post #19 of 35
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I don't even get the original post, was that a question, a statement, wondering out loud, trying to get opinions?

Yeah I thought it was an opener for general opinions or chat. Should have scrolled on by lol! You live and learn.

peppercorns Posted 27 May 2014 , 11:51pm
post #20 of 35

A

Original message sent by bilbo

I pre-qualify by customers and you sound like a pita. Why would I want to even waste my time dealing with you? I am your customer I may not be right all the times but I am still a consumer, I go home, go to work, chat with my neighbors and at break time talk usually revolves around food, what can I say about your product? Don't short charge buyers they are your best advertisement agents.

AZCouture Posted 27 May 2014 , 11:56pm
post #21 of 35

AStill don't get it...are you talking about the people who question the price?

bilbo Posted 28 May 2014 , 1:08am
post #22 of 35
Quote:

I am your customer I may not be right all the times but I am still a consumer, I go home, go to work, chat with my neighbors and at break time talk usually revolves around food, what can I say about your product? Don't short charge buyers they are your best advertisement agents.

No you are not my customer. I don't deal with troublemakers, it would be a terrible business decision. But since you know nothing of business, pricing and now marketing I wouldn't assume you would understand. Taste is subjective, if it weren't, chain store cakes would never be bought and there would be only artisan pastry shops. Your "taste" may not be 95% of my market so why should I take your advice?

peppercorns Posted 28 May 2014 , 1:37am
post #23 of 35

A

Original message sent by bilbo

No you are not my customer. I don't deal with troublemakers, it would be a terrible business decision. But since you know nothing of business, pricing and now marketing I wouldn't assume you would understand. Taste is subjective, if it weren't, chain store cakes would never be bought and there would be only artisan pastry shops. Your "taste" may not be 95% of my market so why should I take your advice?

oh I see.

howsweet Posted 28 May 2014 , 1:42am
post #24 of 35

Just for the record, I did not bring up anything about almond milling when referring to WASC cake.

MimiFix Posted 28 May 2014 , 1:50am
post #25 of 35

Are we done here?

peppercorns Posted 28 May 2014 , 1:51am
post #26 of 35

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Still don't get it...are you talking about the people who question the price?

yes, I do. I'm trying to be the devils advocate, because I have seen a few businesses go down very quickly, my cousin after six months spent all her inheritance for nothing. Our neighborhood bakery down after less than a year, there's another one in a very nice mall here who advertised they've won the cupcake war, naturally at first there's a very long line, but less than a year later, they have to close. What went wrong here? Is it taste, presentation, customer service? Price?

MBalaska Posted 28 May 2014 , 1:51am
post #27 of 35

Hope so, Mimi.

MBalaska Posted 28 May 2014 , 2:00am
post #28 of 35

Not really, more like a Provocateur and instigator (meaning to make something start) than devil’s advocate (somebody who argues about something merely to provoke discussion) as there was no discussion going on.

What was your question BTW? Maybe you really do need help and there's an issue that could be discussed to everyone's benefit.

bilbo Posted 28 May 2014 , 2:01am
post #29 of 35

Quote:

yes, I do. I'm trying to be the devils advocate, because I have seen a few businesses go down very quickly, my cousin after six months spent all her inheritance for nothing. Our neighborhood bakery down after less than a year, there's another one in a very nice mall here who advertised they've won the cupcake war, naturally at first there's a very long line, but less than a year later, they have to close. What went wrong here? Is it taste, presentation, customer service? Price?

One of the biggest problems is people like you spouting 3x ingredients to price their wares on 2 separate threads the last few days. Uninformed people listen to hobbyists like you instead of business owners like mimi and howsweet and the other countless members giving good advice. You think it's funny or amusing to play devils advocate, I hope no one took you seriously on those other 2 threads. They cannot make ends meet with that price structure and will work themselves to the bone for less than minimum wage. What went wrong? Bad business advice and thinking anyone with an oven can run a profitable baking business.

AZCouture Posted 28 May 2014 , 2:18am
post #30 of 35

AOh really Bilbo? I need to go read those replies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%