VACakelady Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 2:40pm
post #1 of

Generally speaking, we all have a certain price per serving that we charge for wedding cakes, but what about other tiered cakes? I have been getting an increased number of inquiries for birthday cakes that are tiered and serve something like 100 people. My question is... do you charge the same per serving for a tiered birthday cake as you do a wedding cake? Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

4 replies
whimsette Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 5:09pm
post #2 of

I charge by the complexity of design and number of servings, so each cake is priced differently. I do not charge more for weddings as a rule, but most of my wedding cakes are more expensive because more work goes into them. My personal feeling that charging more for a cake just because it's for a wedding is wrong and akin to price gauging.

VACakelady Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 11:27am
post #3 of

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I personally will not lower my wedding cake pricing, it's getting to be a supply/demand issue at this point. I just can't see paying just as much (per serving) for a small tiered cake to serve 50 people or so.

paolacaracas Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 11:52am
post #4 of

I charge my cakes by the time it takes me to make them.
I have a base prize per person, and the more complicated the more it costs, about 90% of orders I keep in that prize range
But sometimes people come for less expencive cakes, specially for birthday party, I do the printed image with some airbrush color very inexpencive, cause I make those so fast.
I have also a very simple pretty model that is also very fast at a lower prize, change the color and it can be wedding, baby, christeninig, is they wanna diferent top thats extra, but is god to have a less expencive choice so the client pays less if they want to.
But the reason for the party makes no diference to me.

indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:19am
post #5 of

Here's a similar conversation.....
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-764871-.html#764871

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%