I Ice Better With Medium...

Decorating By bakeforfun21 Updated 25 May 2014 , 4:51am by FioreCakes

bakeforfun21 Posted 25 May 2014 , 2:31am
post #1 of 3

I am taking the Wilton course 1 class. On class 2, the class was cancelled and I wasn't able to learn how to properly ice a cake. No worries, the class was rescheduled. I had just baked my cake and was finishing my buttercream recipe when I got the call that it was cancelled so I decided to try it on my own. The wilton course 1 book says to use thin icing to ice the cake. I find it easier to ice with medium. Am I just doing something wrong with my thin icing? Also, I leveled my cake. I torted it. And I still wasn't able to get the icing even. There was more on the bottom of the sides than on the top of the sides. Please help me fix this. I posted pictures of the cake in the gallery.

2 replies
Norasmom Posted 25 May 2014 , 2:45am
post #2 of 3

When I took the Wilton course my idea of thin butter cream was my instructor's idea of medium.  It's really what you find easiest, so experiment with consistencies.

As for the uneven buttercream, did you use a spatula or a bench knife to spread it?  The bench knife will give you an even coating of frosting if you hold it at a steady 90 degree angle.

Keep practicing and it will come more easily

FioreCakes Posted 25 May 2014 , 4:51am
post #3 of 3

Hi Bakeforfun. You should search youtube or google for "how to ice a smooth cake" there are SOOOOOOO many videos out there with so many different methods! You definitely have to find what works for you. I also ice with what wilton would consider a medium consistency. You'll find that wilton courses are a great jumping off point, but they are in no way the only way and they teach 1% of the tricks there are to cake decorating! Just read these threads for awhile, cakecentral will help tremendously in advancing your skill level. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%