Need Help With Tiered Cake

Decorating By busymom2kidz Updated 23 May 2014 , 9:31pm by busymom2kidz

busymom2kidz Posted 23 May 2014 , 1:08am
post #1 of 4

AI'm a newbie to the CC forums, but need some help. I am making my first large tiered cake (as a gift) and I'm not sure what sizes my cake tiers should be or even how many tiers it should have. The layers will be round and it has to serve 150 people. (It will be a graduation-themed party cake.)

Any suggestions welcome. I have made small tiered cakes with success, but I think I'm so nervous about this cake that I'm having "brain-loc"! Thanks!

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 23 May 2014 , 1:34am
post #2 of 4

Go to the Wilton site and find the wedding cake cutting guide.  It will tell you how many servings each tier will serve.  As I remember a 6" serves 12; an 8" serves 20 (or is it 25?) and a 10 serves 48;  a 12 serves 56.  I could be wrong - it's been awhile since I had to remember the #s :)  I'm thinking a 14, 10 or 9 w/a 6 should be about right and look nice.

YES!, do use the wedding cake chart to figure the # of servings, then base the price on that #.  You do say it is a gift, but you probably will get people asking how much you would charge for 'a cake like this' so be prepared :)

kakeladi Posted 23 May 2014 , 2:05am
post #3 of 4

Another look is to use this combination: a 12,10,8,6 inch which is about 130.  I personally don't like just a 2" difference between tiers and I think it makes it much harder to transport.

Check with your 'client' to see if they are o.k. w/just 130 servings OR add a 1/4 sheet cake to make up the difference.

busymom2kidz Posted 23 May 2014 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 4

AThanks so much for the replies. I am so grateful to at least now have some direction!

Quote by @%username% on %date%