Cookie Stencil Business

Baking By cakeymom Updated 29 May 2014 , 6:24pm by gingerbreadtogo

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 21 May 2014 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 12

A[LIST] Hi [/LIST] I have been wanting to start a home business and the thought of producing cookie stencils is very interesting. I wonder what machines are being used???? There is no way it is a Cricut or Silhouette as you would burn up one of those babies mass producing stencils each:-D week.

Does anyone have an idea what machine is being used??? PM Please......:smile:

Cakeymom

11 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 21 May 2014 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeymom 

... you would burn up one of those babies mass producing stencils each:-D week.

Unique idea! Although I'm not sure what you mean by "mass producing" or the sales volume this would generate. Writing a business plan can help you answer that question and understand what's involved in this venture. Good luck!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 May 2014 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 12

Well, those companies (I assume you're referring to the stencil manufacturers??) are most likely using high end professional die cutting machines, that cost thousands and thousands of dollars. 

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 21 May 2014 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 12

Lots of people are making stencils and cookie cutters using 3D printing machines these days. Google 3D printer. The cutters they produce are made of plastic and thats why all those etsy sites scream "DO NOT PUT IN DISHWASHER". What made you decide to start a business that you are unfamiliar with? 

cakeymom Posted 21 May 2014 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 12

I'm referring to the quantity made when I say Mass Production.  In that, a Cricut or Silhouette would not be able to handle the large volume of stencil cutting.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 May 2014 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 12

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Well, those companies (I assume you're referring to the stencil manufacturers??) are most likely using high end professional die cutting machines, that cost thousands and thousands of dollars. 

cakeymom Posted 21 May 2014 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 12

I'm just researching at this point.  But I have some money to invest and I am interesting in looking into the possibility of a worthwhile venture. 

Cakeymom

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 26 May 2014 , 1:24am
post #8 of 12

Have you looked at Ponoko? You can send them your design and they'll cut it out for you. Also, is there a market for cookie stencils? You would be competing with the regular stencils in the craft stores (plastic and metal), specialty cooking stores, and the online people. Remember,  just because they are listing them on Etsy doesn't mean they're actually selling them. If you have some unique designs, try to sell a few at first. As far as machines go, see how much it would be for someone else to produce them for you.

Just some food for thought.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 May 2014 , 2:32am
post #9 of 12

Tried to make my own stencils.  I bought the plastic sheets, and the cutters and drew out my ideas, and made a total mess of things.  It was nearly impossible for me to cut cleanly and follow my drawings.  If you have the ability to cut stencils for cookies, power to you.  I wish I could have been able to do so.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 26 May 2014 , 2:39am
post #10 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Tried to make my own stencils.  I bought the plastic sheets, and the cutters and drew out my ideas, and made a total mess of things.  It was nearly impossible for me to cut cleanly and follow my drawings.  If you have the ability to cut stencils for cookies, power to you.  I wish I could have been able to do so.

LOL I did the same thing…those plastics are a nightmare to cut! However, projector transparencies work great! 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 May 2014 , 2:59am
post #11 of 12

Are they thicker or something.  I bought the craft sheets specifically for cutting (burning) with the tools.

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 29 May 2014 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 12

There are quite a few stencil businesses out there. "the cookie countess" "designer stencils" to name a few that I have purchased from. I have no idea what equipment they use, I know a lot of  cookie decorators use them.

Quote:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%