How Do I Do This? Nevermind, I Wont Take Your Advice.

Lounge By FioreCakes Updated 23 May 2014 , 8:28pm by MBalaska

FioreCakes Posted 21 May 2014 , 2:31am
post #1 of 55

Hey CCers!

 

So I have recently started sharing advice on here and along with all the usual annoying posts about pricing, etc. I have noticed another VERY annoying trend. Someone will ask a "I am trying to make this cake...and I was thinking of doing this...any advice?". Then you proceed to give them advice, explain why their technique is not the best or their thought process is inaccurate and they post back days later "Thanks everyone! I decided to go with my original plan, maybe I'll try your advice next time, and here is the cake!" 

 

:-? Why did you ask? Why did you waste our time?? uggggghhhh.

54 replies
Mimimakescakes Posted 21 May 2014 , 3:55am
post #2 of 55

Surely you could spoonfeed a tutorial to go along with your advice , that is probably where you are going wrong. 

 

( please note that my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek )

FioreCakes Posted 21 May 2014 , 4:07am
post #3 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimimakescakes 
 

Surely you could spoonfeed a tutorial to go along with your advice , that is probably where you are going wrong. 

 

( please note that my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek )

 

So true. 

maybenot Posted 21 May 2014 , 4:46am
post #4 of 55

Yep, it's rampant--"I'll ask because deep in my heart I know I should, but I don't really care what you say........I'm gonna do it my way and then complain when there's a problem".  My DIL has run into this at her job--and after the problem is discovered, the culprit wants to throw anyone they can think of under the bus rather than accept responsibility.

 

I'm pretty sick, too,  of the "and if you don't agree with me you're a mean, nasty, un-supportive, thoughtless person who should just keep your opinion/knowledge to yourself because you made me feel bad about my choices and I don't like that and don't want to hear it".

 

Where does this "everybody has to be a cheerleader no matter what" business come from? 

 

Sometimes, people do things that are wrong, but even when explained rationally and nicely to them, it never fails that someone comes along and tells them to just go ahead and do it anyway because no one will know/care/die, etc........................

AZCouture Posted 21 May 2014 , 5:04am
post #5 of 55

Watch out now, I predict quotes about "more rainbows and puppies" coming soon. :roll::lol: Because if it's not rainbows and puppies, then it's just mean.

MBalaska Posted 21 May 2014 , 7:03am
post #6 of 55

All right!!  just hold it right there............I still believe..............

 

Mimimakescakes Posted 21 May 2014 , 8:36am
post #7 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 
 

Watch out now, I predict quotes about "more rainbows and puppies" coming soon. :roll::lol: Because if it's not rainbows and puppies, then it's just mean.

I can live with being mean , I am comfortable with who I am and it's okay if people don't like me . Their loss not mine cause I am AWESOME. 

 

( my tongue may still be in the vicinity of my cheek wall )

cazza1 Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:33am
post #8 of 55

Chelle if you take your tongue out of your cheek and just stick it out at people it would be much quicker than all the words!

cazza1 Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:36am
post #9 of 55

MB is that unicorn meat a bit like spam.  If it is you might be able to sell it to some of our English friends, but apart from that there will not be much of a market.

Mimimakescakes Posted 21 May 2014 , 11:36am
post #10 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 
 

Chelle if you take your tongue out of your cheek and just stick it out at people it would be much quicker than all the words!

But where is the challenge in that ? *pokes tongue at Cazza when she is not looking* 

 

 

( We are going to have so much fun at conference next year )

AAtKT Posted 21 May 2014 , 11:45am
post #11 of 55

I love that there is "super glue" listed in all that other wonderful stuff on the unicorn!

cazza1 Posted 21 May 2014 , 12:09pm
post #12 of 55

I'm going to tell your Mum on you.

cazza1 Posted 21 May 2014 , 12:13pm
post #13 of 55

Superglue is a little bit of magic in it's own right when you think about how strong it is. And you need something to make all the disco dust stick. And REALLY, who is to say that the unicorn won't charge and gore you when you are unprepared.  Who has met one that can say they are all sweetness and light.

MimiFix Posted 21 May 2014 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 
 

 

 

Tutorial, please.

MimiFix Posted 21 May 2014 , 3:45pm
post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 
 

Yep, it's rampant--"I'll ask because deep in my heart I know I should, but I don't really care what you say........I'm gonna do it my way and then complain when there's a problem ... and if you don't agree with me you're a mean, nasty, un-supportive, thoughtless person who should just keep your opinion/knowledge to yourself because you made me feel bad about my choices and I don't like that and don't want to hear it".

 

... Sometimes, people do things that are wrong, but even when explained rationally and nicely to them, it never fails that someone comes along and tells them to just go ahead and do it anyway because no one will know/care/die, etc........................

 

This is partly to blame for the revolving CC membership. Those with knowledge and common sense get run off by the  :-X.

Claire138 Posted 21 May 2014 , 3:57pm
post #16 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 
 

 

This is partly to blame for the revolving CC membership. Those with knowledge and common sense get run off by the  :-X.

 

This^^

Sparklekat6 Posted 21 May 2014 , 4:00pm
post #17 of 55

We have a saying at my job.  Right Facts.  Wrong Conclusion.

 

I would submit to the gallery that people who post asking for advice and then come back a week later saying they didn't use it (and look at this wonderful cake they made) are simply fishing for compliments on that cake.  I suspect it was their original intention to begin with.  

Claire138 Posted 21 May 2014 , 4:03pm
post #18 of 55

Oooh sneaky, I never thought of that but did wonder about people who did that. It always seemed a little odd or that they had some sort of magic cake fairy helping them out or doing it all bc they also say that they have no experience, it's their first cake etc etc.

johnson6ofus Posted 21 May 2014 , 4:46pm
post #19 of 55

I agree... much advice goes unheeded. But I am guilty of another thing myself, I want to hear it to "know" how and I may modify it for my own situation.Like.....

 

Tell me to level really well with an Agbay... nope. GREAT advice, but not in my budget.

 

Tell me to add coffee, don't drink it, just don't have it in the house, won't buy it for 1 recipe. 

 

Tell me Valhorana (sp?) chocolate is the best.... only source requires I buy 10 pounds and expensive, as you all know....

 

Tell me to freeze 3 days ahead, sorry, work got in the way, so I only had 1 day...

 

 

 

So, I may well be learning the "right" way from you, and modifying how I need at the time. Next time, I may well do it "your" way. Mind you, there are some who just blow you off, and do whatever and I agree, may do it for the reasons previously posted, as this is just me...

 

And yes, I do realize some things are just not "fudgeable". 20 years ago, a neighbor in CA ate my brisket (before people outside TX even knew what it was), LOVED it, asked how to make it. I explained--- 1 day of marinating and 1 day of slow cooking. She calls me 1.5 hours before her party and says, "help?". I said go buy hamburgers. She cooked the brisket anyway, fast and hot, and it sucked....:razz:

 

So to those who post great, thoughtful answers, remember too, the lurkers are reading and learning too. So even if the OP blows you off, I am sure other readers may not....

acakedecorator Posted 21 May 2014 , 5:00pm
post #20 of 55

So to those who post great, thoughtful answers, remember too, the lurkers are reading and learning too. So even if the OP blows you off, I am sure other readers may not....

 

Very true. I lurked for a while before joining CC and learned a lot of great things.

AZCouture Posted 21 May 2014 , 5:15pm
post #21 of 55

ASome people come here thinking they're going to be received the same way they are on their widdle happy Facebook fan pages. Just tell them they're awesome, the next Buddy Valastro, and say you'll like their page if they like yours. And send them on their way back to la la land.

FioreCakes Posted 21 May 2014 , 5:58pm
post #22 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparklekat6 
 

We have a saying at my job.  Right Facts.  Wrong Conclusion.

 

I would submit to the gallery that people who post asking for advice and then come back a week later saying they didn't use it (and look at this wonderful cake they made) are simply fishing for compliments on that cake.  I suspect it was their original intention to begin with.  

 

I've thought the same thing, and honestly, it works because they always get responses that say GREAT CAKE! IT LOOKS WONDERFUL! 

 

I was also a lurker for a long time before a joined! I had a question so I joined and the answer to my question was so obvious I was embarrassed! I thanked the person to take time to answer though! 

MBalaska Posted 21 May 2014 , 10:17pm
post #23 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by FioreCakes 
 

:-? Why did you ask? Why did you waste our time?? uggggghhhh.

 

FioreCakes this is a good thread.;-D

Mimimakescakes Posted 21 May 2014 , 10:58pm
post #24 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 
 

 

Tutorial, please.

You just made me spit my coffee. 

rexygirl Posted 21 May 2014 , 11:52pm
post #25 of 55

AI am definetly in the lurker category for years but have recently been making some great connections and gave lots of feedback on someone I learned from on here!! But I have to say I know I'm guilty of asking for tutorials, but only because I'm kinda over the tired tutorials on cc and when I see something done especially well, I'd love to watch and learn. That said I would never ask someone to give up details of a technique they've perfected if they think it would hurt their business by doing such. I understand people don't want to be exploited but I teach in my profession and I just like to learn. I do bridal hair and teach my techniques, I'm never afraid to show people how I do what I do because I know everyone is going to do the same technique differently. So yes I would love to watch tutorials from all of you amazing cc'ers,... I promise I'll give feedback!!

MBalaska Posted 22 May 2014 , 12:13am
post #26 of 55

well my unicorn tutorial is a lot like my smoked salmon tutorial, and It taste like chicken.

cazza1 Posted 22 May 2014 , 3:36am
post #27 of 55

MB I think your brain is filled with Pixie dust if you think unicorn meat tastes like chicken.  And I cannot take you advice from the tutorial if the supplies are not readily available so I will have to do it my own way.  No Unicorn meat here, so if it just tastes like chicken can I substitute chicken or frogs legs (which some people will also tell you tastes just like chicken) ?

winniemog Posted 22 May 2014 , 4:11am
post #28 of 55

ACazza1, probably an emu would be easier to find where you are....and the legs are much bigger than a chicken or frog, so make sure you add plenty of magic fairy dust. You might need extra superglue too!

cazza1 Posted 22 May 2014 , 5:11am
post #29 of 55

Good thinking winnie but MB is letting the team down.   I've been waiting for FOREVER now and she still has not supplied  a tutorial so how is a girl supposed to know what to do?  How can I even start to ignore her advice if she hasn't given any?  HELP ASAP. I offered it to a client for in 2 hours!  I was feeling very confident about meeting the deadline because superglue sets so quickly but now I am in a panic.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 22 May 2014 , 5:51am
post #30 of 55

Because people stink.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%