Freezing A Decorated Cake.....

Decorating By Alice6269 Updated 22 May 2014 , 3:55am by maybenot

Alice6269 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice6269 Posted 20 May 2014 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 8

OK - Have to make & freeze a decorated cake.  Has yellow roses on it.  Fondant or Royal Icing roses????  Thoughts?

7 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 May 2014 , 12:33am
post #2 of 8

Make your royal icing or gumpaste roses in advance and keep them dry, dry, dry. Don't add them to the frozen cake until you have thawed it out. And don't freeze the flowers at all.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 21 May 2014 , 12:36am
post #3 of 8

I routinely freeze unassembled cakes and tubs of frosting, but had never frozen an assembled cake until recently.  It was either that or throw it away, so there was nothing to lose, and it ended up being a very useful learning experience.  I made a cake and had to freeze it for a week.  (For a friend, miscommunicated date).  It was 2 tiered 12" and  8", covered with fondant, fondant decorations, with a fondant plus tylose bow on top.  I separated the two tiers and took them of the fondant covered board.   I removed the bow and kept it and the board  at room temp.  Each tier was placed in a bakery box and then sealed in several layers of plastic bags and duct tape, then frozen.  The night before it was really due, I took them out of the freezer and let them come fully to room temp before unwrapping.  the fondant was a little damp, but I didn't touch it and it dried very nicely.  Because I wasn't sure if this was going to work or not, I had already remade one of the tiers, so I sacrificed the frozen one it was replacing so I could test the cake.  i took a big slice out of it, and it was perfect inside.  the fondant and the fondant decorations looked great.  I put the bow back on and reassembled.  My friend reported that the tier that had been frozen was perfect inside.  I would suggest that if you know in advance that you will need to freeze a decorated cake, leave off as many decorations as you can.  They can be kept at room temp and placed at the last moment.  I have not tried it, but I would not freeze royal icing decorations, as dampness and moisture would be likely to soften and ruin them. HTH, good luck 

Alice6269 Posted 21 May 2014 , 12:41am
post #4 of 8

Normally I would not add the flowers until it was thawed but the person I am making it for....trying to put this delicately...has no artistic sense?  I am out of town & they are coming to pick up the cake.   I was planning on having extra roses for "oops" during travel & such, and planned on having those NOT be frozen, but wanted to have the cake ready for her to pick up the day before her event.   

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 21 May 2014 , 2:10am
post #5 of 8

I have a quick question about freezing a decorated cake...  I generally freeze my cakes to make them easier to carve, I have a scheduling conflict and need to carve a cake, decorate & then refreeze.  Is that possible or will it hurt the cake to refreeze ?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 21 May 2014 , 4:22am
post #6 of 8

You most certainly can freeze the fully decorated cake--with either fondant OR royal roses.

Take the assembled, finished cake and box it.  Wrap the box in a saran wrap and a layer of foil.  Place in freezer.  24 hrs. before pick-up/delivery, place still wrapped box in refrigerator.  A few hours before pick-up/delivery, place still wrapped box on counter to come to room temp.  Right before pick-up/delivery, remove wrappings.

The cake will look & taste like the day you made it.

I've done it when absolutely necessary.  This cake--navy blue flowers, royal vines, fondant pearls and all-- was frozen for a week following the directions above and then driven 30 miles.  This pic was taken AFTER the process--perfect.  Only the heart topper was added at the venue by the bride.

Alice6269 Posted 21 May 2014 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you!    Were the flowers fondant/gum paste  or royals?  I have placed royal flowers on a cake that I placed in the fridge the night before an event and although they softened like buttercream - they were ok the next day.

This will be a 2 tiered buttercream cake for a small backyard wedding. Like the Wilton course 3 tiered cake.  She will assemble it at home upon arrival.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 22 May 2014 , 3:55am
post #8 of 8

The navy flowers are fondant, but I've done it with royal poinsettias, too, and they were just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%