Tutorials

Decorating By Mimimakescakes Updated 28 May 2014 , 12:43pm by Dani1081

Mimimakescakes Posted 20 May 2014 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 14

I am just curious , in this day and age of the youtube tutorial and pinterest etc, Doesn't any one work out how to do a cake or flower or figure themselves anymore? 

 

I always find that is half the fun and challenge of caking.  It keeps me interested and challenged. 

 

I find the need to be spoonfed constantly even for the simplest task almost offensive. 

 

No doubt I will probably be found offensive because of my opinion, but I did work it out for myself. 

13 replies
thecakewitch Posted 20 May 2014 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 14

ANot offensive to me!

I don't mind teaching/giving ideas to amateur home cakers, but I read a lot of 'cake decorators' who accepted an 'order' from their 'clients' about designs or cake flavors or what not that they don't even know how to make. That irritates me the most! They can't even be bothered to research on their own, or use their imagination and creativity. Everything needs to have a tutorial! That's why so many of these cakes look the same! Or worse lands on cake wrecks!

I don't even bother to reply to those posts because it's such a waste of energy.

AZCouture Posted 20 May 2014 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 14

AI'm one of those "figure it out myself" people, and I totally get you. I'm constantly answering questions on my Facebook page with "I don't know how to explain how to do it, I just do it. You just look at it and do it." There are still some out there that continue to dream up new things and I hope they resist the urge to make a dang tutorial for them too. :D Make people use their noggins, [B]figure it out![/B] Create!

AZCouture Posted 20 May 2014 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 14

AOh gosh, I had some girl post on my wall the other day in an absolute panic because she had an order for a fondant cake in three days and didn't know how to make fondant. I didn't see her post because I don't allow them to go public until I approve them, and well, I'm just not on "panicked newbie watch" on my page. So she posted [B]again[/B], instead of googling for help, she was relying on her invisible posts to some strangers wall. By the time I saw it, she only had a day left. I shook my head and deleted her posts.

howsweet Posted 20 May 2014 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 14

AYou're not on panicked newbie watch? Hahaha! :-)

I agree, but this point of view is outnumbered by the masses who love tutorials for every little thing. At least I got that impression when I made a joke about a tutorial for something incredibly simple. I compared it to Ellen's hilarious stand up bit where she jokes about needing instructions on a shampoo bottle. Even after I apologized, they still went after me like a bunch of angry villagers with pitchforks.

sweettia Posted 20 May 2014 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 14

AI think trying to make something on your own is the best way. Sometimes your mistakes in the process turn into an even better surprise than you were working to get to

Pastrybaglady Posted 20 May 2014 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 14

It's not just cakes.  I asked my daughter to clean her room, what did she do first?  Googled it.  Sure enough there was tutorial about how to clean your room.

Mimimakescakes Posted 20 May 2014 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 14

I am so glad I am not alone. I don't mind giving advice. I teach as well as demonstrate a lot and as first point of contact for our cake club , I am used to answering questions.   

 

Cakewitch , yes if you don't know how to bake it , what hope have you got to decorate it.  

 

I have to admit that I do take orders for things I haven't done before , but I am confident in my ability to work out how to do something or develop my own technique to achieve what I am after. I love the challenge, I enjoy  learning something new. 

 

AZ , that is unbelievable .  I think I would have deleted it too.  I have no time for anyone that is too lazy to even use google . Gee in the olden days we had to go to the library to do our research. I mean that was a whole other building. 

 

Howsweet , I love the shampoo reference. Bring on the pitchforks 

 

No wonder all these people get bored so easily , they have no imagination . Quite frankly I think that Imagination is the first pre-requisete for a cake decorator. 

Claire138 Posted 20 May 2014 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady 
 

It's not just cakes.  I asked my daughter to clean her room, what did she do first?  Googled it.  Sure enough there was tutorial about how to clean your room.

 

What???

Mimimakescakes Posted 20 May 2014 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 14

Pastrybaglady, OH MY , what hope have we got. 

AZCouture Posted 20 May 2014 , 10:18pm
post #11 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

 
Even after I apologized, they still went after me like a bunch of angry villagers with pitchforks.

Then it must have been incredibly funny, dead on accurate, and made sense. 

AZCouture Posted 20 May 2014 , 10:21pm
post #12 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimimakescakes 
 

I am so glad I am not alone. I don't mind giving advice. I teach as well as demonstrate a lot and as first point of contact for our cake club , I am used to answering questions.   

 

Cakewitch , yes if you don't know how to bake it , what hope have you got to decorate it.  

 

I have to admit that I do take orders for things I haven't done before , but I am confident in my ability to work out how to do something or develop my own technique to achieve what I am after. I love the challenge, I enjoy  learning something new. 

 

AZ , that is unbelievable .  I think I would have deleted it too.  I have no time for anyone that is too lazy to even use google . Gee in the olden days we had to go to the library to do our research. I mean that was a whole other building. 

 

Howsweet , I love the shampoo reference. Bring on the pitchforks 

 

No wonder all these people get bored so easily , they have no imagination . Quite frankly I think that Imagination is the first pre-requisete for a cake decorator. 

Amen! Shoot, I do new things all the time on paying orders Ive never done before. But I know my limitations, and what I can reasonably figure out, just like you said. This panicky pleading for tutorials in the eleventh hour is ridiculous though. 

Mimimakescakes Posted 28 May 2014 , 11:28am
post #13 of 14

Anyone got the pitchforks?

Dani1081 Posted 28 May 2014 , 12:43pm
post #14 of 14

I love tutorials for basic instructions, so I'm so happy that there are other people out there that are willing to help and share.  I started decorating 4 years ago. I took classes, googled everything, read every book, online class, article, and you tube video I could get my hands on.  And I practiced. And practiced. and practiced.  And I NEVER took an order for something that I didn't know for SURE, one hundred percent, that I knew how to do.  I'm with AZCouture...people who take orders and don't know the basics of how to achieve the design are absolutely rediculous.  You have no business being in business if you don't know how to make fondant, or bake a cake, or make buttercream, or smooth buttercream, or stack a cake, or fill a cake. UGH!!!!!!!!!!  COME ON!  Research, learn, practice, practice, practice! BEFORE you EVER accept a dime from a paying customer. But again, to all of the decorators that share....Edna De La Cruz, for one!!!....thank you from the bottom of my heart.  You inspired me to develop my skills so my imagination could soar! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%