How Do I Make A Perfect Character?

Decorating By katespate Updated 20 May 2014 , 2:05am by FioreCakes

katespate Posted 19 May 2014 , 1:32am
post #1 of 7

Hi all!


I need to make a buttercream cake with a Jayhawk on it. (


I see so many beautiful cakes piped with perfection. I have tried frozen buttercream transfers which were OK but not my first choice. Are people just freehand artists that pipe the design?


This cake for example - how would I do this?


Thank you!

6 replies
FrostedMoon Posted 19 May 2014 , 2:54am
post #2 of 7

That looks like a FBCT to me.  If that's not working for you, try using melted chocolate or candy melts with the same process as the FBCT.  Of course no need to freeze it though, just print the reverse image, tape down wax or parchment paper over it, and then pipe melted chocolate or candy melts in the appropriate colors.  When it's cool you should be able to gently peel off the paper and place it on the cake.  

FioreCakes Posted 19 May 2014 , 3:48am
post #3 of 7

Since the piping on that image isn't flat, I doubt that's a transfer, although a transfer would work. Unfortunately most of those perfect designs are done using a projector. Down facing projectors are pricing, or you can buy a cheaper one, but you'll have to make a stand for it to be down facing and spend more time getting the sizing just right. 

Smckinney07 Posted 19 May 2014 , 4:17am
post #4 of 7

AFondant will take more time, but I prefer the cleaner look, here's an example of a sports logo cake.

I prefer using chocolate, as Frosted Moon suggested. I've skipped the usual transfer method though and just printed the image with acetate (or wax paper/whatever you have handy) and just piped like you would on a cookie. It dries much quicker but it isn't as thick as a FBCT so you'll need to be extra careful.

doramoreno62 Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:00am
post #5 of 7

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but have you thought of printing the image out on edible paper and the mounting it on a gumpaste plaque?

katespate Posted 20 May 2014 , 1:52am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the replies - that must be it, a projector! Do many people use those?

FioreCakes Posted 20 May 2014 , 2:05am
post #7 of 7

Yep! Lots of people use them for cakes and for cookies! You can get a cheap one from the craft store ($30 with coupon) and put it on a table or music stand to project down, but it takes some fooling with. The ones made to project down are pricey….I use mine for spacing. I am good at free handing but getting it perfectly spaced on the cake it a learning process! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%