This is my first post! I'd like to use the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake recipe as my base, but I'm trying to make it a little denser. I don't want it to be super heavy or fudgey, but it's a pretty fluffy cake. It's also wonderfully moist, so I don't want to lose too much moisture when I alter the recipe. Can someone suggest how to modify this to add a little density? Recipe below. Thanks!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
I think you could add a box of instant pudding mix, but try it out first.
This is my first post! I'd like to use the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate
^^^ this cake is light and soft and delicious. Search recipes for a fudge cake.
Thanks for the replies so far. I've heard about the instant pudding idea; I'll try that. But I don't want to use a whole new fudge cake recipe because I don't want something super heavy. I'm just looking for a tad more density in this recipe since it's really fluffy.
This is a dense but not over fudgy cake here in the UK lots of bakers use this recipe - it contains real chocolate hence it holds shape, has lots of bubbles and tastes divine. Using cocoa wont give you the real chocolate cake experience.
Lindys Delicious chocolate fudge cake recipe:
This makes a 20cm (8in) round cake 7.5cm (3in) deep – ideal for celebration cakes
- 225g (8oz) unsalted butter
- 225g (8oz) good quality chocolate
- 1 (15ml) tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 450g (1lb) caster sugar or soft brown sugar
- 150ml (5 fl oz) water
- 4 large eggs
- 35ml (1.1fl oz) vegetable oil
- 100ml (3.4 fl oz) sour cream or you can use natural yoghurt or Crème fraiche
- 125g (4 .5 oz) self raising flour
- 125g (4 .5 oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees C (315 degrees F, gas mark 2-3)
- Line the 20cm (8in) deep cake tin with baking parchment
- Slowly melt the butter, chocolate, coffee, sugar and water in a pan, once melted allow to cool.
- Add the eggs, oil and sour cream to the chocolate mix and stir well
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre
- Pour the chocolate mixture into well and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined tin and bake for 1 hour 45mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin