Tiered Caker Ap

Business By kisamarie Updated 27 Mar 2015 , 7:36pm by LaMousseline

jenbug1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbug1 Posted 26 May 2014 , 5:11am
post #31 of 64

AIf you are looking for the doodle app try You Doodle ... I think that's the app FromScratch is using. Jennifer, could you explain how you are creating your flowers/details? Did you say you were defining/cutting out those images in photoshop or I made that up? Sorry I don't know the correct terms...I know graphic artists would be rolling eyes at me lol.

I'll try to do it tomorrow once I charge my iPad.I also have sketchbook pro but have not tried to import images for my sketches. I had no issues doing that in photoshop Touch but never thought about saving those frequently used images. Doh! Why didn't I think of that!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 26 May 2014 , 6:00am
post #32 of 64

All flowers/details are created in the ap, then saved to the notebook in the ap.

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 26 May 2014 , 4:40pm
post #33 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

All flowers/details are created in the ap, then saved to the notebook in the ap.

Can you snap a pic of the ap so I have a visual of what I am looking for in the app store?

Ellie33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie33 Posted 26 May 2014 , 4:57pm
post #34 of 64

AThank you everybody for such great info! I just recently got this ap and so far I like it a lot. Although when I'm creating a double barrel tier, it still show the same amount of portions as the single tier. Is there a way to change it? Does anybody have the same issues?

kisamarie Posted 26 May 2014 , 5:14pm
post #35 of 64

A

Original message sent by jenbug1

If you are looking for the doodle app try You Doodle ... I think that's the app FromScratch is using. Jennifer, could you explain how you are creating your flowers/details? Did you say you were defining/cutting out those images in photoshop or I made that up? Sorry I don't know the correct terms...I know graphic artists would be rolling eyes at me lol.

I'll try to do it tomorrow once I charge my iPad.I also have sketchbook pro but have not tried to import images for my sketches. I had no issues doing that in photoshop Touch but never thought about saving those frequently used images. Doh! Why didn't I think of that!

Jen, the You Doodle that is free does the same thing to my transparent layers as Sketchbook Pro :( I'm trying to decide whether to buy the pro, or pay the 9.99 for the photoshop touch.

FromScratchSF Posted 26 May 2014 , 8:55pm
post #36 of 64

Adouble barrel- add it as an additional tier.

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3241848/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

jenbug1 Posted 26 May 2014 , 9:21pm
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie33 

Thank you everybody for such great info! I just recently got this ap and so far I like it a lot. Although when I'm creating a double barrel tier, it still show the same amount of portions as the single tier. Is there a way to change it?
Does anybody have the same issues?

Ellie you will need to edit the tiers in the Stacker.  You can send any of your cakes listed in the calculator results to the Stacker or you can manually build them in the stacker as well. If you use the sliders to change the height of the cake, it will not change the servings.  This is more of a design feature, so it is best to edit the tiers to create a double barrel and have the servings doubled.

For example: On one of your calculator results you can tap on "Edit in Stacker"

Then tap on "Edit Tiers" in the upper left

That will bring up the screen to edit your tiers.  Here I added an additional 8 inch round. This will give me a double barrel and will increase the servings accordingly.

And here is the image of the cake with the double barrel. 

Hope that helps!

Sorry! I had to edit to fix the images.. My first time adding any photos in a thread!

jenbug1 Posted 26 May 2014 , 9:33pm
post #38 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisamarie 

Jen, the You Doodle that is free does the same thing to my transparent layers as Sketchbook Pro icon_sad.gif I'm trying to decide whether to buy the pro, or pay the 9.99 for the photoshop touch.

I don't understand image files as well as I should. I would think a transparent background would stay that way and I am unsure why the image is doing that.  When you save those 'snippets' what is your file ext?  I have never imported any images into Sketchbook pro or You Doodle. I have only created my snippets in Photoshop touch and applied them to my cake images in photoshop touch, so I may not be much help.  I still have not changed my iPad or I would try it out and see myself. Im sorry :( My parents have been visiting this weekend and my husband is out of town, so things have been a little crazy (but fun!) around here.  

kisamarie Posted 26 May 2014 , 9:53pm
post #39 of 64

ALol, I understand about being busy! I have been saving them as jpegs with transparent backgrounds, but maybe I need to bring them into touch and lasso the images and cut them out, then move them to the cake :/, what a pain in the butt! I'll let you know if that works. That Doodle App, doesn't allow you to build an album of snippets like Jen showed, maybe she has a different version.

Ellie33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie33 Posted 26 May 2014 , 10:29pm
post #40 of 64

AJen and FromScratchSF thank you for your responses. What if tier is 5 or 6 in? It would not recount portions? I made default cake height 6 in, it still gives 16 portions for 8in round. FromScratchSF, thank you very much for showing an option how to draw on saved images! So cool!

FromScratchSF Posted 27 May 2014 , 6:09am
post #41 of 64

A

Original message sent by jenbug1

I don't understand image files as well as I should. I would think a transparent background would stay that way and I am unsure why the image is doing that.  When you save those 'snippets' what is your file ext?  I have never imported any images into Sketchbook pro or You Doodle. I have only created my snippets in Photoshop touch and applied them to my cake images in photoshop touch, so I may not be much help.  I still have not changed my iPad or I would try it out and see myself. Im sorry :( My parents have been visiting this weekend and my husband is out of town, so things have been a little crazy (but fun!) around here.  

I think you are overthinking a bit... For purposes of what I'm doing I open a cake photo, erase all the bits I don't want leaving just a flower or just ruffles, then save to the notebook (obviously this is ap specific). This is not a final sketch, just something I can quickly do at the table to give a general idea of where my head goes when designing a cake. When it comes to sit down and actually make the sketch for reals, I use the tiered caker build as a base then open other cake photos in Photoshop, lasso them and paste them all together if I am in fact doing a bare bones sketch. But honestly The more I think about my time here the more I'm leaning towards just using iPad for everything. The quickie drawing I do on doodle versus what can take me sometimes way too long in PS (I'm not that good at it) and the difference in being able to present my vision in a mock form is very small between the 2 finished products but one takes much more time. I am not designing a ton of cakes at the moment but I suspect I'll probably just start doing them all on my iPad as soon as I buy a stylus for it (those are pretty cheap and you can get a little better detail). I always wanted to learn to use a Wacom tablet when using PS and now it looks like I probably never will and will be A-OK with it.

But again, without having the base of Tiered Caker all this would be moot. Without the foundation you have zip.

Go buy Tiered Caker.

Oh and note for Chris (I'm sure he's reading this). I'd LOVE for in the next build that the cutting chart says under each diagram what the size of the cake is along with the total number if servings if cut that way. And an additional section for "notes" that print under it would be awesome. For example, I build the cutting chart, email it to myself then drop it onto letterhead in Word. Then under each picture I manually type the cake size and serving amount, then under the whole thing I type out the cake flavor, how many dowels/what the support is, which elements are not edible or how to remove flowers without breaking them etc. Yes I can do that in Word but re-formatting all that is a pain and I want the don't to match for a more professional appearance.

jenbug1 Posted 27 May 2014 , 12:43pm
post #42 of 64
Quote:

Lol, I understand about being busy! I have been saving them as jpegs with transparent backgrounds, but maybe I need to bring them into touch and lasso the images and cut them out, then move them to the cake :/, what a pain in the butt! I'll let you know if that works. That Doodle App, doesn't allow you to build an album of snippets like Jen showed, maybe she has a different version.

Quote:

Jen, the You Doodle that is free does the same thing to my transparent layers as Sketchbook Pro icon_sad.gif I'm trying to decide whether to buy the pro, or pay the 9.99 for the photoshop touch.

I asked Chris and he said that you need to save those images (flowers and such) as png files because jpegs do not support alpha channel which he explained in simple terms that it relates to opacity.  So that is why your jpg images have a solid background.  

jenbug1 Posted 27 May 2014 , 12:59pm
post #43 of 64
Quote:

Lol, I understand about being busy! I have been saving them as jpegs with transparent backgrounds, but maybe I need to bring them into touch and lasso the images and cut them out, then move them to the cake :/, what a pain in the butt! I'll let you know if that works. That Doodle App, doesn't allow you to build an album of snippets like Jen showed, maybe she has a different version.

oh and I forgot to say that if you do end up using Photoshop Touch it has an awesome feature called the Scribble selection tool and it makes cutting out the images so easy! I'm thinking it is not cool to post links in here so I can pm you the link to a you tube tutorial on using it.  Also if you use photoshop touch and start doing a detailed sketch... SAVE your work a lot. I would get wrapped up in my sketching and then photoshop touch would crash and I'd lose so much I had done.  

And if you prefer staying with the You Doodle, Did you see what FromScratch posted about opening an image of a cake that has the elements she wanted and just erasing all the bits that she did not want (maybe everything but a flower) and then saving that in the notebook of the you doodle app? Once they are saved then you can open up your TieredCaker image and apply those images from your notebook. I was also looking for a lasso type feature in there and could not figure it out.. but now I understand how she is doing it.

FromScratchSF Posted 27 May 2014 , 4:59pm
post #44 of 64

Quote:

Jen and FromScratchSF thank you for your responses. What if tier is 5 or 6 in? It would not recount portions? I made default cake height 6 in, it still gives 16 portions for 8in round.
FromScratchSF, thank you very much for showing an option how to draw on saved images! So cool!

OK lets back up - wedding standard is 4" tall.  Some people make taller or shorter, but standard is 4".  No matter how tall or short your cake is, the Wilton default chart that pretty much every caterer uses to cut is 1" x 2" pieces, and they try and cut them based on the circular cutting chart that has been the standard since, well, forever.

I make 5" tall tiers, but I base my servings still on 1"x 2" pieces and I follow standard cutting charts.  I don't go past 5" tall.  I work with a lot of high end venues and caterers and nobody so far in my experience has dessert plates that can handle a 6" tall cake.  I made one once and the venue actually broke apart the cake in the middle and served it that way.  I was really, really mad because each layer was a different flavor and the guests were supposed to get the whole flacvor profile, but the venue didn't get it at all.  But anyway, if you want to make a 6" tall cake, the venue will still cut it 1" x 2".  BUT... if you want them to cut it different, you can change that in Tiered Caker in your settings and tell the ap whet size pieces you want them to cut.  The app will then do ALL the work for you, including re-doing your cutting chart based on whatever size pieces you tell it and do in a standard circular cutting chart AND a straight line cutting chart.  That's why it's awesome. 

If I make a double barrel it's a 2nd cake that is stacked on top of another cake, it's a considered a separate tier.  That's where you change the # like Jen said above.

FromScratchSF Posted 27 May 2014 , 5:18pm
post #45 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenbug1 

And if you prefer staying with the You Doodle, Did you see what FromScratch posted about opening an image of a cake that has the elements she wanted and just erasing all the bits that she did not want (maybe everything but a flower) and then saving that in the notebook of the you doodle app? Once they are saved then you can open up your TieredCaker image and apply those images from your notebook. I was also looking for a lasso type feature in there and could not figure it out.. but now I understand how she is doing it.

Yeah I keep it very lo-fi and want to do it as fast as possible at the table.  I also HATE when people are just staring at me. Fast and simple.  I don't care if it isn't perfectly lassoed out, and neither do they.  In the moment, I am just looking for very quick elements that I can throw on a mock cake so the client can get an idea of the type and style of my work.  It shouldn't take more then 2 minutes.  (SOAPBOX) But I also do not price at the table and don't formally start sketching until I have a contract and a non-refundable retainer in hand.  So keeping this part FAST is even more important to me because I feel sketching is work we should ALL get paid for and not something we should be doing for every client that we meet.  I also will not price past the base price shown in Tiered Caker at the table and don't care if the clients won't hire me because they leave not having an exact cake and exact price.  If you want and exact cake and an exact price, do to Safeway and pick a Deccopac cake out of a book.  I learned very fast and early in my career that we get into trouble when we throw together these drawings on the spot, slap a price tag onto it in order to get the sale without having any time to really think it thru or run it thru an accounting program, then cry in our buttercream because the cake takes so much longer then we though when it comes time to make it and we send it out the door with a pit on our stomach because we made no money.  So I don't do any of that stuff anymore and haven't for the past 3 years.  Yes, it's different.  Yes, I've lost business because of it.  But yes, I make money off every cake I make. (end soapbox)

The page in my notebook I didn't show you is the page of elements from cakes I didn't make - stuff like gold/silver leafing, various flower types etc.  Its not that I haven't or can't make those things, but I don't have a full photo studio set up in my shop to perfectly light, style and photograph every cake I do.  In fact, I'm lucky I get the shots I do get of my cakes!  So when I come across a cake someone else has made and it's the right angle, lighting etc I'll take a snapshot of it on my ipad, open it in Doodle, erase all the bits of the cake except the element I think is cool/beautiful/better lit then something I've made in the past, then save it in my notebook under the page "CAKES I DID NOT MAKE" (I want the client to understand the elements are not things I've made - I'd never take credit for anyone else's work).  

And a bride has a Pinterest and a cake(s) she really likes, at the table I'll open her Pinterest on my ipad, snapshot it, open in Doodle, erase bits I'd so similar, drop onto Tiered Caker mock, move on.

Keep it simple!!!

jenbug1 Posted 27 May 2014 , 6:48pm
post #46 of 64

Quote:

Yeah I keep it very lo-fi and want to do it as fast as possible at the table.  I also HATE when people are just staring at me. Fast and simple.  I don't care if it isn't perfectly lassoed out, and neither do they.  In the moment, I am just looking for very quick elements that I can throw on a mock cake so the client can get an idea of the type and style of my work.  It shouldn't take more then 2 minutes.  (SOAPBOX) But I also do not price at the table and don't formally start sketching until I have a contract and a non-refundable retainer in hand.  So keeping this part FAST is even more important to me because I feel sketching is work we should ALL get paid for and not something we should be doing for every client that we meet.  I also will not price past the base price shown in Tiered Caker at the table and don't care if the clients won't hire me because they leave not having an exact cake and exact price.  If you want and exact cake and an exact price, do to Safeway and pick a Deccopac cake out of a book.  I learned very fast and early in my career that we get into trouble when we throw together these drawings on the spot, slap a price tag onto it in order to get the sale without having any time to really think it thru or run it thru an accounting program, then cry in our buttercream because the cake takes so much longer then we though when it comes time to make it and we send it out the door with a pit on our stomach because we made no money.  So I don't do any of that stuff anymore and haven't for the past 3 years.  Yes, it's different.  Yes, I've lost business because of it.  But yes, I make money off every cake I make. (end soapbox)

Yes! This is exactly how I envision TieredCaker being used in cake design session.  I LOVE beautiful and detailed cake sketches that are done in photoshop (Liz Marek is the bomb at doing and teaching this awesome skill and has a great Facebook group for Digital Cake Sketching) but as you and Liz both point out, those are the kind of sketches for after the fact with a contract signed and deposit made...and like you said you don't want to spend all of this time sketching out a detailed cake that someone will just take to another decorator.  Using a very fast and simple sketch while with the client will give them a great and professional visual without sacrificing a ton of time and can be a way to seal the deal and sell them on the cake. Then, if you are into creating beautiful and detailed sketches of your vision, you can do that knowing that your work is not in vain. I love that you are using the app that way and I am so glad it is working for you!   I'll also make sure that Chris sees all of your suggestions! Thank you!

jenbug1 Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:24pm
post #47 of 64
Quote:

Jen and FromScratchSF thank you for your responses. What if tier is 5 or 6 in? It would not recount portions? I made default cake height 6 in, it still gives 16 portions for 8in round.
FromScratchSF, thank you very much for showing an option how to draw on saved images! So cool!

Ellie are you saying that you are changing your default cake height in the Cake Viewer settings?  If that is the case, the Cake Viewer settings will not change the servings. Those settings are just for how your 3D cake images are displayed in the app.  You can use the "Help me decide" screen (Located in the apps Settings screen) if you would like to change your default serving size to account for your taller cakes.

We get lots of requests to have the serving size adjust with the height of the tier. It is currently not supported but is on the roadmap for a future update.  I still have some concerns about how well this will work. 

Quote:

OK lets back up - wedding standard is 4" tall.  Some people make taller or shorter, but standard is 4".  No matter how tall or short your cake is, the Wilton default chart that pretty much every caterer uses to cut is 1" x 2" pieces, and they try and cut them based on the circular cutting chart that has been the standard since, well, forever.

I make 5" tall tiers, but I base my servings still on 1"x 2" pieces and I follow standard cutting charts.  I don't go past 5" tall.  I work with a lot of high end venues and caterers and nobody so far in my experience has dessert plates that can handle a 6" tall cake. 

I see how having the cutting guides from the app can help those clients who are cutting their own cake. But in most venues where the caterer is cutting the cake, I have a feeling they are just going to cut the cake in the industry standard way and ignore any charts they are given, but I am not a business (just a hobbyist) and I have never worked with wedding venues or caterers so I may be wrong about this (and would love lots of input on this!). 

Besides all of this, if you have any problems getting the settings correct, please don't hesitate to email us (or just pm me) and I will help you out!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:31pm
post #48 of 64

If you read much on these boards, you must have noticed that lots of people who might want to use your app wouldn't buy Apple products.

jenbug1 Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:46pm
post #49 of 64

Our charts currently have settings for cutting in the industry standard way. I was just stating that even though that seems to be the norm, we still get lots of requests from cake artists (with a business) that it account for taller tiers and change the servings accordingly. So hearing both things, it just makes me wonder what exactly is happening out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

If you read much on these boards, you must have noticed that lots of people who might want to use your app wouldn't buy Apple products.

I read the boards a lot actually and I have never gotten that impression. Of course I hear people say occasionally that they don't own an Apple product, but I don't see a lot of Apple hate in here. Maybe I'm missing something though? We are iOS only for several reasons but a major one is that my husband is only one person with a day job and toddler and a teenager. There are hardly enough hours in a day to code one platform let alone for every device out there. It's just not plausible, so he focuses his efforts in to putting out the very best he can on one platform.

howsweet Posted 27 May 2014 , 8:16pm
post #50 of 64
Quote:

I read the boards a lot actually and I have never gotten that impression. Of course I hear people say occasionally that they don't own an Apple product, but I don't see a lot of Apple hate in here. Maybe I'm missing something though? We are iOS only for several reasons but a major one is that my husband is only one person with a day job and toddler and a teenager. There are hardly enough hours in a day to code one platform let alone for every device out there. It's just not plausible, so he focuses his efforts in to putting out the very best he can on one platform.

Apple hate? No, I'm saying Apple products are more expensive and many people making cakes are doing it because they are already hurting for money. Plus, the cake business has suffered from the cottage food laws and people actually supporting themselves making cakes may be just making it. My customers tend to have iPhones, but I use one of the better androids.

And from what I've been reading, iPads aren't competing well with other similar products and have lost traction in the market.

Personally, I don't consider myself an Apple hater, just someone who wants value for my money and I'm not seeing it with Apple so much. A lot of people labeled as Apple haters are just people who don't care about using their phone as a status symbol.

jenbug1 Posted 27 May 2014 , 9:19pm
post #51 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

Apple hate? No, I'm saying Apple products are more expensive and many people making cakes are doing it because they are already hurting for money. Plus, the cake business has suffered from the cottage food laws and people actually supporting themselves making cakes may be just making it. My customers tend to have iPhones, but I use one of the better androids.

And from what I've been reading, iPads aren't competing well with other similar products and have lost traction in the market.

Personally, I don't consider myself an Apple hater, just someone who wants value for my money and I'm not seeing it with Apple so much. A lot of people labeled as Apple haters are just people who don't care about using their phone as a status symbol.

Thanks for your post! I hope you didn't think I was saying you are an Apple hater.  You do seem to feel very strongly about Apple though :) and thats perfectly fine. I use and love Apple products but I don't care if others don't.. I actually do think they are a value for my money and have never thought of my phone as a status symbol (people can be so strange haha) Of course what I perceive as value may not be the same for you (or someone else). Thats why there are all kinds of tablets and phones are available in different price ranges and with varying levels of innovation and technology. There is something for everyone! 

I do understand your points though and appreciate them. It just doesn't change what we have the ability to do with our apps. My poor husband has given up every second of free time in his life. No video games, reduced family outings and acitivities and less time watch Star Trek with me!! He does what he can and it's not because we are Apple elitists or any such silliness. Of course we would love to offer our product to as many people as possible!

We get the "make it for Android" statement some, but honestly not that often at all and really quite rare these days. We have actually been told by several users that our app solidified their choice to purchase an iPad over other tablets and that feels pretty darn good :)

howsweet Posted 27 May 2014 , 10:04pm
post #52 of 64
Quote:

Thanks for your post! I hope you didn't think I was saying you are an Apple hater.  You do seem to feel very strongly about Apple though :) and thats perfectly fine. I use and love Apple products but I don't care if others don't.. I actually do think they are a value for my money and have never thought of my phone as a status symbol (people can be so strange haha) Of course what I perceive as value may not be the same for you (or someone else). Thats why there are all kinds of tablets and phones are available in different price ranges and with varying levels of innovation and technology. There is something for everyone! 

I don't understand pretending like you don't know it's a status symbol. That's not to say it's why you have one, but it's why lots of people have them. Why would you act innocent of that fact, or surprised or whatever "people can be so strange haha" was meant to convey?

I do understand your points though and appreciate them. It just doesn't change what we have the ability to do with our apps. My poor husband has given up every second of free time in his life. No video games, reduced family outings and acitivities and less time watch Star Trek with me!! He does what he can and it's not because we are Apple elitists or any such silliness. Of course we would love to offer our product to as many people as possible!

We get the "make it for Android" statement some, but honestly not that often at all and really quite rare these days. We have actually been told by several users that our app solidified their choice to purchase an iPad over other tablets and that feels pretty darn good :)

Well, Apple will thank you for that.

I'm not sure why you think the number of requests you're getting for this translates into whether or not you should do it.  There are so many other possible reasons you're not getting requests. Like maybe android users have never heard of you? Or maybe someone has already filled the void on android?

You're out of touch with potential customers to the point that you misunderstood my first comment and thought I was talking about Apple haters. That by itself makes you sound like Apple elitist.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 May 2014 , 12:12am
post #53 of 64

Apple fans are very loyal, but I don't know if that makes them elitists, other than the hardcore hipsters. My son is an apple-hater but he's heavily into coding for PCs and he has no interest in learning the apple coding language. I have an iPad and when it craps out I'll probably get an android tablet instead because the iPad makes it difficult to do certain things that I need to do and am used to doing on the PC. For me it's about the convenience of being able tote the tablet around and get work done, who cares what brand it is as long as it gets the job done.

It's too bad the Tiered Caker app isn't available for android (yet) but NO VIDEO GAMES? What kind of torture is that poor man going through? The Star Trek I can pass on, though. I'd hire someone to code it for android, though, you are missing out on a big segment of sales that you could be getting.

kisamarie Posted 28 May 2014 , 12:35am
post #54 of 64

AI am a small business owner and I have 3 kids, plus a husband who is a photographer/videographer/ police officer. I also have 2 computers 4 laptops and 4 tablets, all mixed between Apples PCs and androids. For the photography/ videography and graphics we use the Apples, for gaming and business uses, we use the PCs . I prefer my iPad for portable business use, but the kids like the androids for Netflix and gaming. It doesn't make you an elitist, it makes you knowledgable in what works for you. I like this app on my iPad, and I am enjoying figuring out how to better utilize it. I think launching it for Apple was the wise choice because those users tend to be more geared words the graphic design end of things, as this app caters more to those people who know how to use programs for designing, as opposed to apps that just calculate prices and servings.

howsweet Posted 28 May 2014 , 1:35am
post #55 of 64
Quote:

I am a small business owner and I have 3 kids, plus a husband who is a photographer/videographer/ police officer. I also have 2 computers 4 laptops and 4 tablets, all mixed between Apples PCs and androids. For the photography/ videography and graphics we use the Apples, for gaming and business uses, we use the PCs . I prefer my iPad for portable business use, but the kids like the androids for Netflix and gaming. It doesn't make you an elitist, it makes you knowledgable in what works for you. I like this app on my iPad, and I am enjoying figuring out how to better utilize it. I think launching it for Apple was the wise choice because those users tend to be more geared words the graphic design end of things, as this app caters more to those people who know how to use programs for designing, as opposed to apps that just calculate prices and servings.

Oh my goodness, if you think this shows you to be knowledgeable...you are just so wrong about "people who know how to use programs for designing".  You're just hitting at the stereotype level.  Let me just say that even though you can probably fool a lot of people, this is no way to be representing your company.

Fwiw, the correct answer to the android questions on this thread would have just been something along the lines of "we hope to be able to eventually provide it for android, but won't be in the foreseeable future".  Instead you just showed your prejudices like the one in bold above. You barely even responded to the nice person up thread who posted twice about the android issue.

People can read this and form their own opinions, if they care at all.

kisamarie Posted 28 May 2014 , 2:02am
post #56 of 64

A

Original message sent by howsweet

Oh my goodness, if you think this shows you to be knowledgeable...you are just so wrong about "people who know how to use programs for designing".  You're just hitting at the stereotype level.  Let me just say that even though you can probably fool a lot of people, this is no way to be representing your company.

Fwiw, the correct answer to the android questions on this thread would have just been something along the lines of "we hope to be able to eventually provide it for android, but won't be in the foreseeable future".  Instead you just showed your prejudices like the one in bold above. You barely even responded to the nice person up thread who posted twice about the android issue.

I was stating my impression of users who are knowledgable in graphic design. I am not saying it shouldn't be developed for android users, I'm just telling you my impression of the many devices we as a family own and their uses. I wasn't trying to offend you.

howsweet Posted 28 May 2014 , 2:13am
post #57 of 64

Quote:

I was stating my impression of users who are knowledgable in graphic design. I am not saying it shouldn't be developed for android users, I'm just telling you my impression of the many devices we as a family own and their uses. I wasn't trying to offend you.

Your "impression" was based on a completely wrong Apple elitist view.

And I don't think you were trying to offend me. If I was offended, that happened without your trying at all. As to what you were trying to do,  I'm sure you accomplished it for a certain percentage of people.

jenbug1 Posted 28 May 2014 , 2:25am
post #58 of 64

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

Apple fans are very loyal, but I don't know if that makes them elitists, other than the hardcore hipsters. My son is an apple-hater but he's heavily into coding for PCs and he has no interest in learning the apple coding language. I have an iPad and when it craps out I'll probably get an android tablet instead because the iPad makes it difficult to do certain things that I need to do and am used to doing on the PC. For me it's about the convenience of being able tote the tablet around and get work done, who cares what brand it is as long as it gets the job done.

It's too bad the Tiered Caker app isn't available for android (yet) but [B]NO VIDEO GAMES? What kind of torture is that poor man going through?[/B] The Star Trek I can pass on, though. I'd hire someone to code it for android, though, you are missing out on a big segment of sales that you could be getting.

HAHA!! I know right?? It's so sad and just evil! He did slip up and play some games on his last birthday though!

As for hiring an Android developer, it would be so expensive! We are still such a new and small company that we just don't have the funds for that.

kisamarie Posted 28 May 2014 , 2:28am
post #59 of 64

A[quote name="howsweet" url="/t/776320/tiered-caker-ap/45#post_7520186"]

Your "impression" was based on a completely wrong Apple elitist view.

And I don't think you were trying to offend me. If I was offended, that happened without your trying at all. As to what you were trying to do,  I'm sure you accomplished it for a certain percentage of people. [/

I'm not sure why your being hostile "howsweet", but this was a thread for people trying to use a new app available in the Apple store. I think while your opinions have been acknowledged and noted, you being irritated with my comments isn't really necessary. I respect your opinions and if you want to voice your irritation with my impressions of Graphic Designers systems of choice, it's best to do it in a PM.

jenbug1 Posted 28 May 2014 , 2:30am
post #60 of 64

A

Original message sent by howsweet

howsweet I might be mistaken but I think you have the OP - kisamarie mixed up with me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%