How Do I Prevent My Seven Minute Frosting From Soaking Into My Layers?

Decorating By Elaine2581 Updated 20 May 2014 , 2:19pm by Elaine2581

Elaine2581 Posted 18 May 2014 , 3:17am
post #1 of 7

My father-in-law wanted a coconut cake for his 90th birthday.  I made one and it looked so pretty when I finished it but a few hours later the seven minute frosting started soaking into the layers and leaving some "bare" spots.  Did I not cook or beat my frosting long enough, or too long or was there another reason for this?  Thanks for any advice.

6 replies
Erihu Posted 18 May 2014 , 3:59am
post #2 of 7

AI'm probably writhing in the wrong post but I don't know where should I do it. Please I need your help how much should I charge for a cake like this. Thank you very much[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3237411/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2014 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 7

idk how or why that happened--

but i just had a thought as to how to salvage the whole thing if in fact it's still pre-birthday party -- by adding more icing if necessary and pressing coconut into it

sorry that happened -- it certainly sounds delicious

as you wish Posted 18 May 2014 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 7

AWas your cake completely cool? If it was still warm at all it would melt your frosting.

Elaine2581 Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 7

The cake was completely cool and I had already pressed the coconut onto the sides.  It was frozen coconut that I had thawed.  I had extra frosting but threw it away when I thought I was finished.  I did try to move what was on there around a little bit but I still saw a few nearly bare patches.  It tasted great so I was probably the only one who noticed.  Thank for the replies just the same.  I'll keep searching for an answer.

Elaine2581 Posted 20 May 2014 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the links.  It was a cool day here and I did not refrigerate my frosting to cool it before using it nor did I refrigerate the cake afterwards.  I also used the frozen coconut that had a lot of moisture so I believe I have learned a lot and will try again for my own birthday in July, if not before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%