Wedding Cake Disaster Help! Wwyd?

Decorating By sarascakecreations Updated 24 May 2014 , 10:17pm by Elcee

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 18 May 2014 , 1:27am
post #1 of 24

AHello everyone,

So I made a 5 tier wedding cake today 3 tiers real and 2 tiers fake. Delivered it about 30min away set up took pictures left etc. while I was there the florist said oh we may have to move the table bc it's not center.

Fast forward to tonight I get a phone call from the groom telling me the cake is leaning and looks as if it may fall and the kitchen staff thinks it won't last the night. I am heartbroken! I had a crappy wedding cake and vowed to always do my bet for other brides! The groom tells me no one touched it or moved it.

I really don't know what to do he's going to call me tomorrow to discuss it more, as they were obviously upset and about to begin their wedding. The cake cost was $690 and I was thinking of refunding them $200? Thoughts? I don't know what to do about this it's my 9th wedding cake and this has never happened and I have done 5 real tiers before. I won't know until tomorrow if the cake fell over or if they fixed it or what happened?

I am so nervous for the phone call and so upset that all this happened!

Thanks

23 replies
pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 18 May 2014 , 2:53am
post #2 of 24

If someone else moved the cake, it is not your fault. You have your pictures to prove it was okay when you left. If the bride and groom have an issue with the cake, they should discuss it with the florist.

sarascakecreations Posted 18 May 2014 , 2:58am
post #3 of 24

ABut the groom says the kitchen staff says no one moved the table. I will have no way of ever know the honest truth and I just don't know what to offer them?

Sara

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 18 May 2014 , 3:27am
post #4 of 24

what type of supports did you use? 

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 18 May 2014 , 3:29am
post #5 of 24

Ask them for pictures...

Those may show that the cake was moved from the initial placement... That may help...

sarascakecreations Posted 18 May 2014 , 3:36am
post #6 of 24

AFloraCakes I used the thick plastic hollow cake pillars cut to size. What I have used for every wedding cake so far, so I don't understand how this happened.

AAtKT good idea, although I doubt they will be able to get them to me tomorrow which is when the groom plans to call me to go over the situation.

After thinking it over I am thinking of giving them $200 back? And ofcourse asking for pictures so I can see if the table was moved or not. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 18 May 2014 , 4:26am
post #7 of 24

Several thoughts:

So the groom called and said the cake was leaning and he was worried it might fall? He called you during the reception? In this day and age, I don't know why he wouldn't have sent you a picture???  I don't have the whole story, but I think I'd have headed over there right then.

How would he or the kitchen staff know for sure that no one moved it? Seems to me that, "not that I know of" is the answer, not "no, it was not moved".

When they were talking about moving it, why didn't you stay until the cake was positioned?

If you delivered the cake fully stacked and it looked fine when you left, it sounds like something else probably happened. Which part of the cake was the dummy part?

sarascakecreations Posted 18 May 2014 , 10:36am
post #8 of 24

A[COLOR=blue][/COLOR]

Howsweet

The groom called at 4:30 and his ceremony was to begin at 5:30. I told him I could head over there but I was 1 hr away on the other side of town at a party as well. He said not to come if it would take me 1hr but that he wanted to call and let me know. Your right I should've asked him to snap a pic and send it but I guess in the moment I was just shocked as this has never happened before that I just didn't ask.

Your right there is no 100% way of him knowing of anyone moved it.

When they talked about moving it, it was me over hearing their discussion and I had another delivery to get to so I left. I didn't think anything of it bc we have moved reception tables with my cake on it no problem in the past and my cakes did not fall.

It was a 5 tier cake with the very top tier dummy and then then the 3rd tier dummy.

No one has told me their thoughts yet on if I should give some money back or not? Please help! Should I offer some money to smooth things over or stick to my guns and say it was fine when I left etc.

Thanks!

tomsann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsann Posted 18 May 2014 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 24

Hi, I think I would wait and see what he has to say when he calls you again...

My thoughts would be if it completely fell and you can't find out if it was moved etc I

would give them a full refund.....

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 18 May 2014 , 12:37pm
post #10 of 24

If you overheard them talking about moving the cake then I am sure they moved it which probably caused it to lean!! Not your fault!! Always, from now on take close up pictures of where cake is situated and close up of cake so if they move it, you will know right away that it was not your fault. A five tier cake could easily get crooked if it was moved improperly.

I only do as a hobby, so hopefully others here will give you advice. Too bad you do not personally know someone who was at the wedding to find out where the cake was sitting. Photographers always take pictures of cake so there had to be some pictures showing the cake. I think you should tell the couple that you overheard them saying that they were going to move the cake. The kitchen staff does not want to get in trouble so naturally they will never admit to moving the cake even if they did move it.

Sorry this happened to you. I know it must be frustrating for you!!! My heart goes out to you!!!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 18 May 2014 , 1:23pm
post #11 of 24

If it was leaning due to the build of the cake and nothing to do with whether it was moved or not I would offer a full refund. The cake is a focal point for not only the reception but also the cutting. All eyes and cameras are on the bride and groom for that moment and if the cake is damaged in anyway which isn't their fault I would refund in full.

However...

When the groom calls say to him something along the lines of, I apologise that there was an issue with the cake at your reception. I was of the understanding that there were plans to move the cake due to the positioning of the table. Unfortunately, this can damage the structural integrity of the cake and as such I am the only person who should move the cake. You have mentioned that it is unclear whether the cake was moved or not so to rectify the situation I am offering a full refund on receipt of photography from your wedding showing that the cake was leaning and was in the same position as when I left it. I am sure your photographer or guests will be able to provide these photographs and I will compare them to my own pictures of the cake. Ya da ya da ya da... 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2014 , 6:35pm
post #12 of 24

i would totally hold off on your decision to give back x amount--do not commit to anything too early in the process except to request and review the photographs they provide you as proof--yes that will prolong the tension--that's ok--it's just gonna be tense --you need to take care of your interests rather than just toss money on it

howsweet Posted 18 May 2014 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 24

That's good advice^^

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 May 2014 , 7:33pm
post #14 of 24

AI always took close up pics and full cake pics for my book, and a couple across the room pics to show tbe position of the cake in the room. Good insurance. There are a couple of venues around here that always move the cake. Always. I also had it in my contract that unless I moved the cake, I could not be held liable for damage if moved by someone else.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 18 May 2014 , 7:48pm
post #15 of 24

Before I set any cake anywhere, I do "the cake walk".  I go into the venue and see where they want the cake and talk to the planner, mother of the bride-whoever is in charge.  I have had people tell me to just set it down and they will move it.   UH, NO  this cake does not get moved after I place it.  I waited one time for thirty minutes while they decided where they wanted the table and then decorated it and I PLACED the cake.  The Florist?  Who is the Florist?  I wouldn't have gone anywhere with that thought in the air.  And to have an amount already in mind of what to return?  No, I would wait for pictures and then take time to figure this one out.

howsweet Posted 18 May 2014 , 8:03pm
post #16 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKing12 

Before I set any cake anywhere, I do "the cake walk".  I go into the venue and see where they want the cake and talk to the planner, mother of the bride-whoever is in charge.  I have had people tell me to just set it down and they will move it.   UH, NO  this cake does not get moved after I place it.  I waited one time for thirty minutes while they decided where they wanted the table and then decorated it and I PLACED the cake.  The Florist?  Who is the Florist?  I wouldn't have gone anywhere with that thought in the air.  And to have an amount already in mind of what to return?  No, I would wait for pictures and then take time to figure this one out.

100% agree. The OP mentioned she had another delivery to get to which could have presented a dilemma, but I don't leave until the cake is in it's final place.

Trident II Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trident II Posted 19 May 2014 , 4:16am
post #17 of 24

AI'm coming in a little late, and I'm also in troubleshooting mode, in an effort to prevent this from happening to me as well as others. Were the hollow pillars up against the cake dummy, or was there a piece of cardboard or cakeboard between the dummy and the hollow pillar? Any chance that the weight of the cake pushed the pillar into the dummy because the pillar had a thin wall and worked like a cookie cutter? Sadly I don't have any advice on how to handle this. I would think you'd have to negotiate based on evidence showing whether or not the cake was moved after you set it up. My heart goes out to you and the wedding party. I hope you all can come to an agreement.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 19 May 2014 , 4:41am
post #18 of 24

ACan you post the pictures you took? That might make it easier for us to see if there were issues before you left.

For future cake orders, wedding or party, I recommend a contract. Mine states that the table needs to be setup and decorated prior to my arrival-I also go over these points and have them initial the important ones (it's all important but things that can effect/damage the cake once I'm gone or if they pick it up, etc.)

It's also a good idea to get contact info of the Planner, Mother of the Bride, or whoever will be there when I arrive so they can initial that the cake was delivered and setup successfully. Taking pictures is also good practice but I have learned its in everyone's best interest to cover yourself as much as possible. Obviously, you can't anticipate every potential problem, I've learned a lot from others mistakes and my own.

I definitely would have head over with my emergency kit or simply spoke up when you overheard them discussing moving the cake. Did you notice the table wasnt level?

It's done, things happen and I'm sorry youre in this situation! I am curious to know what happened, hopefully it wasn't that bad.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 20 May 2014 , 10:34am
post #19 of 24

Before you offer any kind of refund ask to see photos, photos would definitely have been taken of the cake and compare them to yours.  I know your first instinct is to hand over money and forget this ever happened, but you need to figure out what happened.  If it is something you have done you need to know what so it doesn't happen again.  I know this is probably too late but I would tell the groom that you take pride in your work and want to work out what happened.  If you bought something from a large company (no matter what it was) they would not just hand over a refund but would want to see the faulty item - not that I'm saying your cake was faulty, but you know what I mean.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2014 , 3:47pm
post #20 of 24

any update on this?

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 23 May 2014 , 2:46pm
post #21 of 24

Love your quote K8 bwoowahahaha

sarascakecreations Posted 23 May 2014 , 3:50pm
post #22 of 24

AThal you so much! Wonderful advice everyone!

The groom told me he woul call on Sunday and he never did. Either the cake didn't fall, or he just let it go? I'm sure they are on thir honeymoon so I guess now I sit and wait.

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 23 May 2014 , 3:58pm
post #23 of 24

NEVER EVER EVER go to a venue with a cake or where ever it has to be delivered without THE CONTRACT IN HAND.........my contracts need to be signed a few weeks after a deposit has been made. In that contract it states all info of venue, along with a place that has to be signed by a venue staff member that that cake was delivered in perfect condition & then also signed by the delivery person of the bakery.......the venue gets a copy & you keep the original.......The contract states once cake is delivered, signed for by venue responsible party YOU NO LONGER HAVE ANY OBLIGATION.........your job is done. anything happens from that point on is a matter between bride/groom & venue.......

NO REFUND SWEETY,.......you did your job, hopefully you have pictures of proof tho or something as it seems there was too much talk about it getting moved around, so you know somebody did it & won't own up ! Don't take the fall on this one.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 May 2014 , 10:17pm
post #24 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarascakecreations 

The groom called at 4:30 and his ceremony was to begin at 5:30. I told him I could head over there but I was 1 hr away on the other side of town at a party as well. He said not to come if it would take me 1hr but that he wanted to call and let me know.

I know it's too late for this but had it been me, I would have gone back regardless of the groom's wishes. If my reputation was on the line, and there was even a possibility the cake could have fallen, I'd want to know what was going on. Had you arrived and the cake had been moved, you could have shown evidence of that with your pictures, and you'd be clear. If, however, there was any kind of problem with the cake or structure, you could have dealt with it right then and there, and in person.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%