Glass Effect For Mg Sports Car ?

Decorating By Stables Pantry Updated 22 May 2014 , 5:44am by Stables Pantry

Stables Pantry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stables Pantry Posted 17 May 2014 , 8:23am
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

Could any of you clever people out there advise me on how to get "glass effect" for a front windscreen on

a carved car cake please ?

I have been asked to do an MG sports car andso also need advice on how to make it stand upright

from the bonnet as the roof will be down !

Thanks

Cathy

5 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 21 May 2014 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 6

About the windshield, are you using buttercream or fondant?    I've seen fondant hit with steam to make it shiny. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 May 2014 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 6

Have ou worked with isomalt before? That will give you a glass look, if you can get it clear enough. 

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 22 May 2014 , 12:16am
post #4 of 6

AI made a convertible car, and used sheet gelatine (unsoaked of course!) for the windscreen. I then just added a thin extruded rope of fondant to trim the exposed edges. I put the gelatine into the main part of the car (just in front of the dash) when I had just covered the body of the car, so the fondant was still soft and the gelatine could slide into the fondant to be held in place. It won't give you a perfectly glass-like look, the isomalt will do that, but it's simple if you don't have access to isomalt.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 May 2014 , 12:27am
post #5 of 6

Gelatin is a good idea too.

Stables Pantry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stables Pantry Posted 22 May 2014 , 5:44am
post #6 of 6

Hi All,

Thank you for your suggestions.   I have never heard of Isomalt - not sure if it's available in the UK but

think the gelatine idea is a good one !

The car itself will be made from cake then covered in sugarpaste (fondant) so I should be

able to fix the gelatine as you suggested.

Thanks

xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%