Thai Lotus Cookies

Baking By Pastrybaglady Updated 17 May 2014 , 10:56am by hula1974

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 16 May 2014 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 13

Hi Cookie People!  I just wanted to share these lotus cookies I made for the first time.  I saw a video on youtube and just HAD to have the wand and make these. You make something like a tempura batter and dip this hot metal wand in and then fry for a few seconds, the wand releases from the batter and then you place the hot cookie over a small bowl to make it's shape. They are light and crispy and taste a little like fortune cookies. Oh, and it's made with rice flour so it's gluten free.  Next time I want to make smaller batches in different colors.

The wand costs about $40 online.  I was telling my mom about them and showed her the video.  I was bummed because she had been in Thailand/Laos recently before I had seen the video.  Just as luck would have it she said she was going back in the next month!  She asked a couple of friends there where she could get the wands and one of her friend's sons works at a restaurant and said he'd pick up one for her.  When my mom asked how much, they said there were SO cheap they would be embarrassed to take money for them - SCORE!

12 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 May 2014 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 13

Beautiful.  Those are really pretty and very decorative.  You're going to have fun with that recipe.!! Looks yummy.   And made with rice flour, that is a plus for your gluten free people.

When we were kids my mom used to make 'rosette' cookies with the metal moulds. It's a Scandinavian recipe I think.  Sprinkled with powdered sugar. Delicious.

Pastrybaglady Posted 16 May 2014 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 13

AYes, that's what they're like, MB. I wondered if I should sprinkle powdered sugar on them, but they have a really nice flavor -I added vanilla and almond extract. They were fun to make but I don't advise it on a 90 degree day like it was yesterday! Phew, I was one hot flash away from becoming a puddle :-D

MBalaska Posted 16 May 2014 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 13

I think they look divine and very unique just like they are, so I don't think they'd look better with powd sugar.

I was just reminiscing to my childhood.......silly old me.  And a display in different colors would be awesome.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 16 May 2014 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 13

Those are amazing! Thanks for sharing them - soooo cool! :-D

hula1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hula1974 Posted 17 May 2014 , 12:49am
post #6 of 13

ACan you post that YouTube video? They are beautiful!

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 17 May 2014 , 12:54am
post #7 of 13

I have never heard of either the Thai Lotus or the Rosette cookies! So cool! The only "cookie" I have ever fried were canoli shells. I really need to get one of those wands now. By the way, I looked up the rosette cookies and found some wands on the Target website for $20. Can you post the link to the video you saw?

Also, Are they like funnel cakes?

Edit:typo

MBalaska Posted 17 May 2014 , 1:49am
post #8 of 13

Funnel cakes (love love love 'em) are donuts, the fried rosette cookies are more like canoli  shells, crispy & fried, only more delicate.          I'm drooling now

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 17 May 2014 , 2:08am
post #9 of 13

Rosettes are definitely Scandinavian and yummy!

https://www.google.com/search?q=rosettes&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

OP, those cookies look beautiful and scrumptious!

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 17 May 2014 , 2:14am
post #10 of 13

Those are so pretty and different. I went on YT and watched a video about lotus cookies and I must say that I'm intrigued. The seem like they would be light and delicious. 

There's is this huge Asian market where I got the best bowl of Pho that I have ever tasted. I wonder if they may have the wands there?

Pastrybaglady Posted 17 May 2014 , 6:09am
post #11 of 13

A[URL=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U2dVX9SprNU]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U2dVX9SprNU[/URL]

Here's the link. Annie says you can find the wands at an Asian market, but I've never seen them at 99 Ranch.

These cookies definitely make an impression! When I presented them to a group of friends they were amazed and all said they were beautiful and they really liked the taste as well.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 17 May 2014 , 8:38am
post #12 of 13

They sound as interesting as they look.  I'm off to watch the video.  Thanks for sharing this, it's great to see new things.

hula1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hula1974 Posted 17 May 2014 , 10:56am
post #13 of 13

and now I'm obsessed!  They look so cool.  I think the possibilities are endless for using them to decorate around a cake, or maybe to top a cupcake - or make a bouquet!  Now I've got to find a wand :-)  Thanks for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%