Thai Lotus Cookies

Baking By Pastrybaglady Updated 17 May 2014 , 10:56am by hula1974

Pastrybaglady Posted 16 May 2014 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 13

Hi Cookie People!  I just wanted to share these lotus cookies I made for the first time.  I saw a video on youtube and just HAD to have the wand and make these. You make something like a tempura batter and dip this hot metal wand in and then fry for a few seconds, the wand releases from the batter and then you place the hot cookie over a small bowl to make it's shape. They are light and crispy and taste a little like fortune cookies. Oh, and it's made with rice flour so it's gluten free.  Next time I want to make smaller batches in different colors.

The wand costs about $40 online.  I was telling my mom about them and showed her the video.  I was bummed because she had been in Thailand/Laos recently before I had seen the video.  Just as luck would have it she said she was going back in the next month!  She asked a couple of friends there where she could get the wands and one of her friend's sons works at a restaurant and said he'd pick up one for her.  When my mom asked how much, they said there were SO cheap they would be embarrassed to take money for them - SCORE!

12 replies
MBalaska Posted 16 May 2014 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 13

Beautiful.  Those are really pretty and very decorative.  You're going to have fun with that recipe.!! Looks yummy.   And made with rice flour, that is a plus for your gluten free people.

When we were kids my mom used to make 'rosette' cookies with the metal moulds. It's a Scandinavian recipe I think.  Sprinkled with powdered sugar. Delicious.

Pastrybaglady Posted 16 May 2014 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 13

AYes, that's what they're like, MB. I wondered if I should sprinkle powdered sugar on them, but they have a really nice flavor -I added vanilla and almond extract. They were fun to make but I don't advise it on a 90 degree day like it was yesterday! Phew, I was one hot flash away from becoming a puddle :-D

MBalaska Posted 16 May 2014 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 13

I think they look divine and very unique just like they are, so I don't think they'd look better with powd sugar.

I was just reminiscing to my childhood.......silly old me.  And a display in different colors would be awesome.

howsweet Posted 16 May 2014 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 13

Those are amazing! Thanks for sharing them - soooo cool! :-D

hula1974 Posted 17 May 2014 , 12:49am
post #6 of 13

ACan you post that YouTube video? They are beautiful!

craftybanana Posted 17 May 2014 , 12:54am
post #7 of 13

I have never heard of either the Thai Lotus or the Rosette cookies! So cool! The only "cookie" I have ever fried were canoli shells. I really need to get one of those wands now. By the way, I looked up the rosette cookies and found some wands on the Target website for $20. Can you post the link to the video you saw?

Also, Are they like funnel cakes?

MBalaska Posted 17 May 2014 , 1:49am
post #8 of 13

Funnel cakes (love love love 'em) are donuts, the fried rosette cookies are more like canoli  shells, crispy & fried, only more delicate.          I'm drooling now

pastrypet Posted 17 May 2014 , 2:08am
post #9 of 13

Rosettes are definitely Scandinavian and yummy!

OP, those cookies look beautiful and scrumptious!

enga Posted 17 May 2014 , 2:14am
post #10 of 13

Those are so pretty and different. I went on YT and watched a video about lotus cookies and I must say that I'm intrigued. The seem like they would be light and delicious. 

There's is this huge Asian market where I got the best bowl of Pho that I have ever tasted. I wonder if they may have the wands there?

Pastrybaglady Posted 17 May 2014 , 6:09am
post #11 of 13

Here's the link. Annie says you can find the wands at an Asian market, but I've never seen them at 99 Ranch.

These cookies definitely make an impression! When I presented them to a group of friends they were amazed and all said they were beautiful and they really liked the taste as well.

cazza1 Posted 17 May 2014 , 8:38am
post #12 of 13

They sound as interesting as they look.  I'm off to watch the video.  Thanks for sharing this, it's great to see new things.

hula1974 Posted 17 May 2014 , 10:56am
post #13 of 13

and now I'm obsessed!  They look so cool.  I think the possibilities are endless for using them to decorate around a cake, or maybe to top a cupcake - or make a bouquet!  Now I've got to find a wand :-)  Thanks for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%