How Many Pearls & What Size?

Decorating By samuir Updated 19 May 2014 , 8:58pm by All4Show

samuir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samuir Posted 16 May 2014 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 16

I'm making a 14" square, 10" round, & 6" round cakes. I will be putting a pearl border on the top of each tier. Any ideas how many pearls I will need? Also, what size of pearl would look best? The same size on all 3 tiers or graduating sizes?  Thanks for the input.

15 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 16 May 2014 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 16

Are you planning on placing individual pearls, or a molded row of pearls?  Individual placing pearl by pearl is a slow and tedious process...if this is what you are doing, did you charge enough to cover the amount of time for your labor?

As to size, it would largely depend on the style and trim of the entire cake.  If the pearls are the only decor, then you could use a somewhat larger one...but if the other trim is small and delicate, you'd probably need something more petite to keep things in scale.

samuir Posted 16 May 2014 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 16

Thank you for the reply Jeff, the only one so far. Yes, individual pearls. As far as the charge it is a gift for my daughter & son-in-law for their wedding, so the price is not an issue. The bottom of each (torted) tier will be bordered in a 2" sparkly ribbon. That & the pearls will be the only decorating besides some small piped dots. So, what is your advice for the pearl as far as size goes? Is an 8 mm big enough? I was think 8mm for the bottom tier. Do you think this is big enough?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 16 May 2014 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 16

ADo you have any pearls yet? Can you place some so you can get an idea? Do you know how to multiply to get an idea once you figure out the sizes? Just takes a little math, I would think.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 16 May 2014 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 16

I usually use a pearl mold for borders. That being said,  I don't want this to come off snarky but does it really matter how many pearls it takes for your border? 
They usually come in good size jars which does not give you a count but rather ounces and size.

You can get multiple sizes to see what works with your design.

AZCouture Posted 16 May 2014 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 16

AThat's what I'm thinking too, and others as well. What does it matter....Might explain the lack of replies.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 17 May 2014 , 12:05am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuir 

Thank you for the reply Jeff, the only one so far. 

I'm surprised that you sniped about the lack of responses. You've been a member for one month and have never posted to help anyone. Our community needs members who post and help other members.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 17 May 2014 , 12:50am
post #8 of 16

OP- this is something that I'm SURE you can figure out on your own, right?  Get yourself a pearl mold or just it be by hand, one by one- you'll get there eventually- pretty simple. 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 17 May 2014 , 1:50am
post #9 of 16

I think an 8 mm will be fine...I personally prefer borders to be rather small....especially when tiers are stacked.

samuir Posted 19 May 2014 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks for all your replies. The reason for my original question of how many pearls it will take is because I will be using individuals & not a mold. I was just trying to get an idea of when to start making them. However, this weekend I found white pearl candy Sixlets that I will be using. Much easier than rolling by hand & tasty also.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 19 May 2014 , 2:53pm
post #11 of 16

AYou know how you're referring to pearl sizes? They're going to touch each other, right? You can determine the circumferences involved in mm and then you have it, right? If you're buying gumballs, the package may not give the size. You may have to wing it.

samuir Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:08pm
post #12 of 16

Whoa MimiFix.....having a bad day? I am a hobby baker, only making a couple of decorated cakes a year for family. I probably do not have the knowledge that is needed to reply to most posts. But thank you for yours. Have a great day.

AZCouture Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:20pm
post #13 of 16

ASo that excuses your sarcastic jab at everyone who [B]didn't[/B] reply?

samuir Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:25pm
post #14 of 16

My intention was not to make a jab at anyone. I was simply surprised. I was hoping that someone had access to a chart that would provide what I was looking for.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:33pm
post #15 of 16

Edit: After I posted and saw that you had posted in the mean time. Sorry, but I don't see how the having a bad day thing isn't some kind of jab. And I think most people thought you wanted them to do your arithmetic for you.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:58pm
post #16 of 16

Round cake circumference= Diameter X 3.14.  Square cakes = Length of one side X 4.  I use a 12 inch long pearl mold  so i just divide my total inches by 12 & that tells me how many times I have to reproduce the mold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%