Roses For Cupcakes

Decorating By BakedbyMamaD Updated 18 May 2014 , 8:05pm by LKing12

BakedbyMamaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyMamaD Posted 16 May 2014 , 12:25am
post #1 of 5

I have two weddings in June that I have to do cupcakes and a small cutting cake for.  The first one is a big wedding (200 cupcakes) and it is my son's, and the wedding is out of town, so I'm not going to have a huge amount of time to spend on the second one, which is a week after.

The bride for the second wedding wants roses on her cupcakes.  If I can make the roses about a month in advance, I will be in good shape when it comes time to do the cupcakes/cake for the wedding.  Buttercream is out - although I can pipe a decent rose, handling them is something else, and I can see me ruining quite a few as I put them on the cupcakes/cake.  So I was thinking either fondant or royal icing.  But I want to consider taste too.  I have a good marshmallow fondant recipe, whereas royal icing does not taste very well.  But royal roses would be quick and easy to pipe and they hold up well.   I'm torn, so I am looking to see if anyone has any experience with this.  Someone out here on another thread did post a cool link to a method to make fondant roses that I may try.  But I wanted to see what everyone's opinion is.  Thanks!

4 replies
hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 16 May 2014 , 1:23am
post #2 of 5

AJust make the roses out of buttercream , use a foil square on your nailhead...pop them in the freezer. They pop right off the foil and you can hand place them on your iced cupcakes. A lot faster than making fondant or gumpaste roses. Everyone wants the buttercream rose. I make a lot of my roses this way and freeze just so I can handle them easier.[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2041614/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 16 May 2014 , 4:08am
post #3 of 5

I'm a huge fan of the quickest way -- I vote air-dried buttercream made at least 4 days in advance.

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 16 May 2014 , 5:31am
post #4 of 5

AI was going to suggest air dry but I love the freezer idea. You can make the pretty far in advance and once solid probably cover them tightly?

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 18 May 2014 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 5

I had to make almost 200 butter cream roses for a wedding cake.  Made them two weeks in advance and stored them in a sheet case box.  No problem.  Easy to do and store.  The problem with making fondant is that the color does seems to fade even in a short period of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%