Please Help!

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 16 May 2014 , 12:18am by costumeczar

Chefperl Posted 15 May 2014 , 1:22am
post #1 of 8

I have a wedding cake for sunday. I can't do any work on saturday so I have to work on it friday.   It's a 3 tier cake. I have always done this, no problem.  

The issue is, the bride wants fresh strawberries in the center. So buttercream and fresh strawberries in the layers.  Can I torte and fill the cakes tomorrow (thursday) ?  I am so nervous about the strawberries getting gross and wetting the cake.   I need the cake to settle so it doesn't bulge the fondant at all.

any help with the strawberries?   Never have done this and I am freaking out. 

7 replies
Chefperl Posted 15 May 2014 , 1:33am
post #3 of 8

Thank you!!!!   Do you think that the cake will be OK for Sunday if I torte and fill tomorrow? Then i will fondant them on friday. 

CWR41 Posted 15 May 2014 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefperl 
 

Thank you!!!!   Do you think that the cake will be OK for Sunday if I torte and fill tomorrow? Then i will fondant them on friday. 

Keep in mind, strawberries MUST be refrigerated or they can mold overnight.

costumeczar Posted 15 May 2014 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWR41 
 

Keep in mind, strawberries MUST be refrigerated or they can mold overnight.

Yes, it has to be refrigerated. and yes, you can torte it and do everything ahead of time, just wrap it and refrigerate until you're ready to work on it.

Chefperl Posted 15 May 2014 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 8

thank you!!!!!!   i wouldn't dream of keeping it out of the fridge. 

CWR41 Posted 15 May 2014 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefperl 
I need the cake to settle so it doesn't bulge the fondant at all.

Just sayin' , 'cuz you said you need the cake to settle and they can't settle in the refrigerator (only at room temperature), so I thought I'd give a friendly reminder that it must be refrigerated... no choice with strawberries.

costumeczar Posted 16 May 2014 , 12:18am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41 
 

Just sayin' , 'cuz you said you need the cake to settle and they can't settle in the refrigerator (only at room temperature), so I thought I'd give a friendly reminder that it must be refrigerated... no choice with strawberries.

You can give the cake a good hard press with the palm of your hand to make sure there are no air pockets and no "settling" is needed. Leaving it out at room temp for an hour or so isn't going to matter, either. Strawberries sit out at room temp at the grocery store, and if they're sliced and put inside the cake right away where they're not exposed to the air they're not going to suddenly turn rancid. It should be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%