Never Done A Cake With Real Flowers - Would Anyone Mind Giving Me The Low Down?

Decorating By howsweet Updated 13 May 2014 , 6:46pm by -K8memphis

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 13 May 2014 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 2

-Would the florist who's doing the flowers usually provide these? The plan is that they match her bouquet.

-I think she just wants a cluster of roses on top and maybe one or two scattered on lower tiers. How do i keep them from wilting?

-Should the roses be waiting for me at the venue? Would I arrange them with floral tape or something myself? Or would I tell the florist that I need a cluster in a certain size for the top and they would have them in a little bundle?

-Would I wrap them in floral tape?

-Is there anything I'm forgetting to ask?

Thanks in advance :)

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 May 2014 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

-Would the florist who's doing the flowers usually provide these? The plan is that they match her bouquet.

yes -- they usually just leave them in an inglorious bucket of water-- and you scoop them up and make the magic-- don't be hesitant to go harvest a few from other arrangements if need be--doesn't happen often

-I think she just wants a cluster of roses on top and maybe one or two scattered on lower tiers. How do i keep them from wilting?

roses are pretty sturdy-- if you are setting up at the reception they should be fine without any real water source

-Should the roses be waiting for me at the venue? Would I arrange them with floral tape or something myself? Or would I tell the florist that I need a cluster in a certain size for the top and they would have them in a little bundle?

99% of the time should be waiting unless you've made other arrangements like for tower of roses where you might need to assemble in advance to conform with your own schedule or whatever-- i almost always contacted the florist in these cases so i was sure we were on the same page-- sure advise them if they can accommodate the cake dimension exactly in whatever kind of arrangement -- i never use florist tape on fresh flowers--well i say never-- i don't remember using it --

you can definitely get yourself acquainted with floristy-y type products so you can get what you need for the cake-- they have little clear dishes and foam they make little dooeys out of--when i had the florist make arrangements the big deal was that they often made them way too big--but that's my experieince--cut flowers left in the 5 gallon bucket of water was always my favorite

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%