Drizzle Effect

Decorating By Budrowsaba Updated 19 May 2014 , 7:55pm by fondantslinger

Budrowsaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Budrowsaba Posted 12 May 2014 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 14

Looking for suggestions to achieve this drizzled effect on top of buttercream?  I thought of royal icing, but I'm worried it would slide down or not set fast enough.  Someone suggested candy melts but, again, I'm worried it won't harden fast enough. Thoughts?  Thanks for any assistance!  :-)

13 replies
LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 13 May 2014 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 14

Hi...I've done this using candy melts.  I melt the chocolates w/ just a small amount of shortening.  I then place it in a pastry bag using a tip w/ a small hole and drizzle.  HTH

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 13 May 2014 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 14

I made a very similar cake last year, and I used coloured royal icing.  I found that although the colour looked strong enough in the tub, once I'd splattered it on the cake (just using teaspoon), it was a bit less intense than I'd have liked.  The royal was fine and set well enough - just make sure you get the consistency right.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 May 2014 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 14

LizzieAylett that cake is wild!  I'm wondering if you added a bit of white coloring to the royal icing if it would help you get a more opaque icing.  Not that it needs it, the colors stand out pretty well.

LizzieAylett Posted 14 May 2014 , 7:09am
post #5 of 14

Thank you, MB.  I will try that next time (if there is a next time:-) ).  It was only the pink really that disappointed, and that may have been because I don't have a pink colouring, so had to experiment.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2014 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 14

lizzieaylett, that is an awesome cake--love it and i love the footed stand too --very classy and so well done

LizzieAylett Posted 15 May 2014 , 7:24am
post #7 of 14

Thank you K8.  I think it's the cake I have had the most fun with, as you literally just wildly splatter away :-)

The stand was a ceramic vase I bought for 50p in a charity shop, painted with black acrylic paint and turned upside down - et voila!

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 15 May 2014 , 8:18am
post #8 of 14

I did this cake with colored piping gel with a little bit of Wilton white coloring to make it opaque. But here's the kicker...I added a bit of Tonic water to thin out the gel. Under a black light, the colors glowed in the dark!

It was for a 13 year old who was celebrating her birthday at the bowling alley where they have Cosmic bowling. All the lights go out and only black lights are used. The cake was the talk of the bowling alley!

LizzieAylett Posted 15 May 2014 , 11:20am
post #9 of 14

Great idea, Dora!

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 19 May 2014 , 2:01am
post #10 of 14

Where does one find tonic water at and how much would you use...Is there a recipe as far as the ratios?

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 19 May 2014 , 7:54am
post #11 of 14

Tonic water is always available in the Alcohol section at your super market. Sometimes its right next to the ginger ale. It contains no alcohol but it is commonly used as a mixer for drinks, usually a Gin and Tonic.

I don't have exact measurements for I used but it was just enough to make the piping gel a bit runny. 

Here are some links. There is a frosting recipe in the 2nd link

http://www.thekitchn.com/party-trick-use-tonic-water-to-make-your-frosting-glow-food-snots-173830

http://www.ehow.com/list_7222083_tips-cake-glow-black-light.html

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 19 May 2014 , 6:05pm
post #12 of 14

Thank You

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2014 , 7:15pm
post #13 of 14

dora, that cake and the tip regarding how you made it glow in the dark are awesome!

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 19 May 2014 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 14

Absolutely have to agree with everyone...that is one of the smartest tricks I ever heard of....& with just tonic water -who knew?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%