How Do I Make An Arch With Stars?? Help

Decorating By whiteangel Updated 11 May 2014 , 3:04pm by whiteangel

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 10 May 2014 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a graduation cake due next weekend.  Here is what I "want" to do:  Make a big star in the middle with graduating smaller stars to the sides in an arch.  The stars would be out of 50/50 gum paste and mmf.  I have wires that you can stick into cakes (I would put them inside straws for stability and to keep the metal away from the cake). 

Now, how can I do this and have it be stable so I can arch it over the cake?   The big star fills and piece of printer paper.  Do I pre-shape the arch and then attached dried stars to it with more gum paste?  So that it isn't very heavy, otherwise it will pull the wires down, the stars will likely need to be pretty thin.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

7 replies
whiteangel Posted 10 May 2014 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone have any ideas on how to make an arch of stars over the cake?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2014 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 8

i would make thin stars and sandwich the wire in between two of them with a brush of water that you blot off so the surface is not too wet--let it all dry up and arrange them-- maybe i would bend the tip of the wire so there's more surface adhering within the two stars-- 

maybe something like that

-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2014 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 8

you could even place a few wired stars coming out of the big star too--and since you're using different sizes -- you could possibly put more than one on one wire --

whiteangel Posted 10 May 2014 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 8

Sounds like a good idea.  Possible attaching small stars to the bigger ones also.  Working on the wire now to make an arch that will stay together....me and wire don't mix, lol

nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 10 May 2014 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 8
-K8memphis Posted 11 May 2014 , 2:35am
post #7 of 8

is your wire coated with paper or something porous so there's something to stick to? --if it's just slick wire it can be most frustrating-- 

whiteangel Posted 11 May 2014 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your help!  I love CC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%