How Much And How Many??

Decorating By monamicupcake Updated 16 May 2014 , 1:09am by SystemMod1

monamicupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monamicupcake Posted 10 May 2014 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 20

AI never makes cakes but someone asked. How much should I charge for this cake? How many people will it feed approximately?? I was thinking $50 and I need it to feed 30. The bottom is 12" the top a tall 9". Thanks for your help!! [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3233804/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

19 replies
LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 13 May 2014 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 20

First of all, that is too much cake for 30 people.  The 12" alone will feed more than 50 people cut 1"x2"x4".

You may want to go w/  8" and 6" rounds if cutting as mentioned above.  An 8" and 6" tiered cake in my area would go for around $125 and up.  You need to check around your area and see what people are charging for similar cakes.  Also, if you are not that skilled in decorating you will need to take that into consideration when pricing.  Have you checked the cottage laws in your state?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 May 2014 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 20

AYou never make cakes, but someone wants to give you money to make one for them? Huh?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 13 May 2014 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 20

From her name it sounds like she just makes cupcakes, but someone asked her to make a cake?  Or someone else who baked a cake asked this cupcake maker how much they should charge for the cake in the picture?

AZCouture Posted 13 May 2014 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 20

ASo confused.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 13 May 2014 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 20

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

You never make cakes, but someone wants to give you money to make one for them? Huh?

Exactly what I was thinking! Just because someone asked you to do it, that doesn't mean you have to do it! And if you don't know how, you probably shouldn't do it. Whatever "it" is!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 May 2014 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 20

Since you've already made the cake and personalized it with writing, just give it to them.  How much to charge is something to be calculated long time before you make someone a cake.

monamicupcake Posted 13 May 2014 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 20

A

Original message sent by Pastrybaglady

From her name it sounds like she just makes cupcakes, but someone asked her to make a cake?  Or someone else who baked a cake asked this cupcake maker how much they should charge for the cake in the picture?

Thanks for understanding! I didn't mean for this to get that serious these woman are brutal! It's just cake ha. I make cupcakes only usually so yes obviously I can "craft" a cake just needed a guideline on future reference.

monamicupcake Posted 13 May 2014 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 20

AI

Original message sent by AZCouture

You never make cakes, but someone wants to give you money to make one for them? Huh?

I make cupcakes, so very sorry to "confuse you" thanks for the helpful advice....wait.

monamicupcake Posted 13 May 2014 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 20

ATh

Original message sent by LeeBD

First of all, that is too much cake for 30 people.  The 12" alone will feed more than 50 people cut 1"x2"x4". You may want to go w/  8" and 6" rounds if cutting as mentioned above.  An 8" and 6" tiered cake in my area would go for around $125 and up.  You need to check around your area and see what people are charging for similar cakes.  Also, if you are not that skilled in decorating you will need to take that into consideration when pricing.  Have you checked the cottage laws in your state?

Thanks! I usually make cupcakes so cakes just aren't my norm. But I'll take all that into consideration.

Pastrybaglady Posted 15 May 2014 , 4:46am
post #11 of 20

A

Original message sent by monamicupcake

Thanks for understanding! I didn't mean for this to get that serious these woman are brutal! It's just cake ha. I make cupcakes only usually so yes obviously I can "craft" a cake just needed a guideline on future reference.

I got it right? Yay! If you're going to get into cakes read these boards very carefully. There is so much good advice, good links to follow and business straight talk. If you utilize the search button you will save yourself a lot of drama (especially regarding pricing)! Best of luck and happy baking!

jsmith795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith795 Posted 15 May 2014 , 8:10am
post #12 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady 

I got it right? Yay! If you're going to get into cakes read these boards very carefully. There is so much good advice, good links to follow and business straight talk. If you utilize the search button you will save yourself a lot of drama (especially regarding pricing)! Best of luck and happy baking!

This, make sure you have a good look over the forums and pick up what you can :) Happy baking!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 15 May 2014 , 1:35pm
post #13 of 20

A

Original message sent by Pastrybaglady

Are you talking about the drama that ensues when people who know what they're talking about explain pricing and then people who don't try to tell them that's all wrong?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 May 2014 , 2:03pm
post #14 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by monamicupcake 
How many people will it feed approximately?? I was thinking $50 and I need it to feed 30. The bottom is 12" the top a tall 9".

A single layer 12" serves 28, and a double layer 9" serves 32...

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Pastrybaglady Posted 15 May 2014 , 3:48pm
post #15 of 20

A

Original message sent by howsweet

Are you talking about the drama that ensues when people who know what they're talking about explain pricing and then people who don't try to tell them that's all wrong?

Absolutely! It's much easier to see things objectively when the comments are not directed to or at you. We all want comfort and encouragement but that's not always what we need or what's best for us.

AZCouture Posted 15 May 2014 , 7:14pm
post #16 of 20

A

Original message sent by monamicupcake

I I make cupcakes, so very sorry to "confuse you" thanks for the helpful advice....wait.

Oh, that's sarcasm! Good one, almost missed it.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 May 2014 , 7:34pm
post #17 of 20

Welcome to CC, monamicupcake! You've been a member for only a few days so you probably don't know how wonderful and helpful our members can be. 

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 15 May 2014 , 8:33pm
post #18 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady 

Absolutely! It's much easier to see things objectively when the comments are not directed to or at you. We all want comfort and encouragement but that's not always what we need or what's best for us.

I see what you're saying now - thanks for clarifying. :-D

Pastrybaglady Posted 16 May 2014 , 12:05am
post #19 of 20

A

Original message sent by howsweet

I see what you're saying now - thanks for clarifying. :D

No problem Howsweet. It is so easy to be misunderstood on the forums. I've learned so much here and you in particular have made me see things in an entirely new way, so thanks for that!

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 16 May 2014 , 1:09am
post #20 of 20

This thread is closed to new comments.  Thank you,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%