Help!!! Dry Cracking Fondant!

Decorating By sdbj1114 Updated 18 May 2014 , 8:58pm by -K8memphis

sdbj1114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdbj1114 Posted 9 May 2014 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 6

AMy fondant is always dry and cracking..what am I doing wrong?? I use corn starch because it gets too sticky..any tips?

5 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 13 May 2014 , 1:09am
post #2 of 6

Is it homemade? You may need to add in some glycerin.

If it's store bought, are you kneading in a tiny bit of vegetable shortening (crisco) ?

Corn starch is a drying agent.  I won't use it with fondant at all.  I roll on a smear of crisco, only.

sdbj1114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdbj1114 Posted 13 May 2014 , 1:14am
post #3 of 6

ANo its bought. Don't use vegetable shortening. .so that will make it better? It doesnt get sticky at all? How much do you put in?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 13 May 2014 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 6

I just rub a small amount on my hands as I knead the fondant, repeating until the fondant feels smooth. 

I never find that it takes very much if the fondant is OK to begin with.  If you add a lot, you ruin the consistency of the fondant and it will be worse than ever.

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 18 May 2014 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 6

ASome way to use cornstarch, Don't! It will dry it out. Use confectioners sugar and keep a liitle Shortening on your hands. Regards:-)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2014 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 6

all good answers--i'm one who recommend cornstarch kneaded into fondant for making things like flowers & bows etc.but not for covering a cake--

sometimes all you need to do is let the blob of fondant air dry a tad -- like for black or colored or sticky fondant that often works for me --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%