Has Anyone Tried This Extruder?

Decorating By acakedecorator Updated 11 May 2014 , 8:12pm by acakedecorator

acakedecorator Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:45am
post #1 of 15

I need to get an extruder for a cake next weekend. I was going to get the green Makin's Professional one that I have seen most people use from my local craft store, but I realized that they only sell it online and I wouldn't get it in time. Has anyone tried this Walnut Hollow extruder?

Also, the handle kind of confuses me...do you spin it or push it?

14 replies
MBalaska Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:55am
post #2 of 15

no, but the first review on amazon says it's great for fondant.

acakedecorator Posted 9 May 2014 , 3:01am
post #3 of 15

Duh..Amazon! *facepalm*

That first review answers all of my questions. My apologies for not checking there first, haha!

It is cheaper than the Makin one and sounds much better!

MBalaska Posted 9 May 2014 , 3:03am
post #4 of 15

Take it with a grain of salt, as some one mentioned on another thread, it's pretty easy to make a bunch of fake names and give fake reviews to sell stuff.  However having said that, it seems that doing the winding handle thing might be kinda cool.

acakedecorator Posted 9 May 2014 , 3:07am
post #5 of 15

Yes, definitely. I do think that a crank handle would be much easier than one you have to turn a lot!

acakedecorator Posted 9 May 2014 , 3:08am
post #6 of 15

I love your signature quote by the way!

MBalaska Posted 9 May 2014 , 3:22am
post #7 of 15

Luckily the food police can't make me eat all their chemical concoctions of processed plasma..... yet.

mattyeatscakes Posted 9 May 2014 , 4:56am
post #8 of 15

AHi there :) you can read about different reviews from CC members regarding different clay extruders. They also mention the same extruder that you're thinking of buying. HTH

Boyka Posted 9 May 2014 , 7:30am
post #9 of 15

AMine lasts about 2-3 months, maybe I push it too much..:(

kkmcmahan Posted 9 May 2014 , 11:18am
post #10 of 15

I have that one and am happy with it.  I haven't used it too much recently but it is easy to use and I like the crank handle a lot. 

mallorymaid Posted 9 May 2014 , 1:26pm
post #11 of 15

I had this extruder didn't mind the crank handle, liked that it had a nice selection of disc' to go with it, used it a lot unfortunately it didn't last, some of the threading broke off after about 6 months.  I also had to knead in some extra shortening  to the fondant to make it a little more pliable for ease in extruding.

Norasmom Posted 9 May 2014 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 15

I have that extruder as well.  I took off he little black rubber "washer" at the top because it was getting clogged, but I love how it works.  The black casing on the outside that helps with the grip is also coming off, but I don't need it, gloves will keep a grip.

The fondant needs to be extremely soft or it is very difficult to extrude.

Good luck!

810whitechoc Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:05pm
post #13 of 15

I had the Walnut Hollow extruder and it broke after about 6 months of regular use. I now have the green Makin one, have had it for about a year and it's still going strong.

810whitechoc Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:08pm
post #14 of 15

"Touch Wood" :-D

acakedecorator Posted 11 May 2014 , 8:12pm
post #15 of 15

Wow, I was just able to come back to this thread and I hadn't realized how many people had responded. Thanks everyone! I ended up buying the Walnut Hollow one and made a tiara last night and it turned out wonderful. The extruder worked great and I do like the crank handle. I am not planning on using the extruder too, too much, so hopefully it will last!

Quote by @%username% on %date%