Ganache Is Melting My Fondant

Decorating By monthmonopoly Updated 9 May 2014 , 2:33pm by kellyk1234

monthmonopoly Posted 8 May 2014 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 10

AI am new here so I'm not sure I'd this is where I post. Here goes. I'm using ganache for the first time and now it is melting my fondant. There are huge holes with ganache coming through. My fondant was rolled 1/8 " thick. How do I fix this and will the rest of my layers do this ?

9 replies
kellyk1234 Posted 8 May 2014 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 10

Did you put the ganache on while it was still hot? That's the only thing I can think of. 

AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 10

AWhat kind of ganache are you making? I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence, but you [B]are[/B] making the kind that is thick and creamy, and not the kind you pour, that is very liquidy, right? Had to ask, because I've seen people confuse the two before. Apologies if that upsets you. ;)

monthmonopoly Posted 8 May 2014 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 10

AI used 3 to 1 ratio white ganache. It had set firm prior to putting on the fondant. I put it in the fridge to speed the process a bit. Now that it had begun to come to room temp the ganache is no longer firm and the fondant is disolving in spots.

kellyk1234 Posted 8 May 2014 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 10

Hmmm, that's weird.  Ganache shouldn't melt fondant, unless it was warm/hot. Maybe you didn't let it set up on the cake long enough, and the ganache that was in between the layers was still soft and pushed out as the cake settled. I always ganache a cake the day before applying fondant so it's nice and firm. 

kellyk1234 Posted 8 May 2014 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 10

If that is the case (where the ganache just pushed out from the layers) then I would take the fondant off, scrape away the ganache that oozed out, smooth again, let it set up longer, and re-apply the fondant. Hope this helps, maybe someone else has a better solution, because I've never had this happen before.

AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 10

ADefinitely avoid the fridge if you're not using perishable filling. I do the same as Kelly, giving it a good long while to set up.

monthmonopoly Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:18am
post #8 of 10

AI ended up remaking all the cakes with buttercream. The ganache had made the cakes soggy. Thank goodness I had extra layers. Thank you all for your suggestions. I will keep them in mind for next time.

810whitechoc Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 10

Ganache should set firm to touch before applying the fondant, also not trying to insult your intelligence, but maybe you didn't use chocolate with a high enough cocoa butter content?

kellyk1234 Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 10

AYes what type/brand of white chocolate and cream did you use? Seems like your ganache must have been runny, because it shouldnt soak into the cake at all. It should be a stiff buttercream or peanut butter consistency. Also, what ratio did you use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%