Weeping Buttercream

Decorating By BeeHappy84 Updated 19 May 2014 , 5:25pm by BeeHappy84

BeeHappy84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeHappy84 Posted 8 May 2014 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 4

Hello! I am making my second wedding cake, due tomorrow. The cake is iced with a Swiss meringue buttercream from (pasturized) fresh egg whites. I finished frosting it, but have noticed that the buttercream is oozing a sugary liquid. How can I rescue this??? Should I just mop up the liquid and pray that it stops? Should I start over? (Please, not that!) 

3 replies
CraftyCassie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyCassie Posted 19 May 2014 , 5:09am
post #2 of 4

AWhat happen? I just had this happen to me this weekend. My cake was super moist and the icing didn't want to stay on it right. Finally got it done, but the next morning I noticed some oozing. Dabbed it off with paper towel. When we cut it at the party it seemed to be fine. Can't explain it, but sure don't want it to happen again.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 19 May 2014 , 7:31am
post #3 of 4

AI've only had weeping SMBC one time and it freaked me out! It happened because I was rushing and I had the mixer on too high when I was integrating the butter that was a little too cold. It didn't look quite right in the bowl and when I went to put it on the cake it was separating. I scraped it off, put half the icing in the freezer. Once the icing was good and hard I melted the other half and then added it to the cold chopped up frosting and mixed on low until it came together again. No more weeping.

BeeHappy84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeHappy84 Posted 19 May 2014 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 4

Pastrybaglady, I think I had the same problem. I suspect that I needed to mix it for a few minutes longer in the mixer. I ended up scraping off most of the buttercream and whipping it again. I still had a little weeping from between the layers, but it was mostly finished by the time of the wedding. Fortunately the cake and icing tasted fine. However, I would hate for it to happen again, so from now on I'll whip, whip, whip! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%