Anybody Know What This Wilton 8 Metal Nail Is?

Decorating By UniqueDreams Updated 9 May 2014 , 10:50am by UniqueDreams

UniqueDreams Posted 8 May 2014 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 6


My mother has done cakes since I was a child.  I have inherited a bunch of great stuff from her.  But this is one I'm not quite sure what to do with. :detective:  Anybody know?  


Any help is much appreciated!  :-D



5 replies
MBalaska Posted 9 May 2014 , 1:03am
post #2 of 6

It looks like it might be one of the domed formers.  The old style decorating had a lot of pieces where you pipe Royal icing on them, let them dry, remove them from the former and then you could put the hard icing piece on a cake.  I'm sure I'm not describing it well.........just look for some of the 50 year old Wilton photos.

MBalaska Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:52am
post #3 of 6

found it in my 1979 Wilton book. lace and lattice in three-dimensional forms.  Lattice piped on Australian nails. These metal shapes on stems make it possible to pipe crescent curves, arches, baskets and vases in open line work............Old School. 

Sassyzan Posted 9 May 2014 , 3:24am
post #5 of 6

AWow, thanks for finding that! Totally old school. Love it.

UniqueDreams Posted 9 May 2014 , 10:50am
post #6 of 6

Thank you MBalaska!  You rock!!!  You know some of that looks really familiar.  Kinda wooped me all nostalgic. :roll:  Mom actually had a cake featured in a Wilton book.  Her prize was the first gumpaste tool kit they made.  Which I also inherited and love.  I have all those pieces in the big Sculpey sculpting tool set in the plastic box to choose from and one from the old Wilton set is still my favorite tool.  Thank you so much for finding that.  What fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%