People Touching Your Cake...

Decorating By SugarJen Updated 7 May 2014 , 9:14pm by SugarJen

SugarJen Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 12

Yes, you read correctly. I was delivering yesterday a cake to my son's class . It was teacher appreciation day and we (my son and I.....well mostly me) made a dog that ate the homework cake. Well as I am delivering, I put the cake down to sign in at the front desk. When I turn the security guard and cleaning staff memeber (i assume) were TOUCHING the cake- because they couldn't believe it was real. Of course, I kinda flipped, because they had already asked me if it was cake and I said yes. What would posses 2 adults to touch something that other people are going to eat. I mean, I've had children touch cakes before- but thats normal for a child.

 

does this happen to you all? how do you react?

11 replies
SugarJen Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 12

 

SugarJen Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 12

MimiFix Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 12

What a cute cake idea! Thanks for the photo. But, Yech... Unfortunately, it does happen, especially cakes that are as unusual as yours. If it's within reach of anyone, whether by touching or airborne coughing/sneezing, consumables should be covered to help stop contamination. 

SugarJen Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 
 

What a cute cake idea! Thanks for the photo. But, Yech... Unfortunately, it does happen, especially cakes that are as unusual as yours. If it's within reach of anyone, whether by touching or airborne coughing/sneezing, consumables should be covered to help stop contamination.

Thank you- I made it after buying Elisa Stauss' class on Craftsy. I put it in a box, but cut off the top portion of the box, because it would not have fit. I agree- next time I need to cover it up. Maybe some plastic wrap?

as you wish Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 12

AAwesome cake! I am betting the touchers were men. Nothing against men, but they are so tactile! I am amazed at what my husband will touch because he wants to "know what it feels like"; I can usually tell what something will feel like just looking at it.

7031annie Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 12

AThat is cute. I know what you mean about adults touching the cake. I once made cupcake bouquets for a charity auction. They were kept covered until right before auction started. I had to keep repeating myself that the roses were indeed made of icing. One guy just could help himself I guess as he touched one and said " they just look so real, if they taste as good as they look they are amazing " I then told him " well you can find out because you just bought it as I can't leave it on the auction as you are not wearing gloves. thank you for your donation to our auction" I don't think he will be touching any cake he doesn't want to buy anymore as it embarrassed him and with my price quote the charity received a nice donation. We were auctioning off many donated sometimes dusty things besides foods and we had boxes of gloves for each food item if they needed to be handled in anyway. I had no idea what he had on his fingers and grossed me out .

SugarJen Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by as you wish 

Awesome cake! I am betting the touchers were men. Nothing against men, but they are so tactile! I am amazed at what my husband will touch because he wants to "know what it feels like"; I can usually tell what something will feel like just looking at it.

HAHA! you'd be surprised. Both were women.

as you wish Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 12

A

Original message sent by SugarJen

HAHA! you'd be surprised. Both were women.

Go figure! I guess there are all kinds out there! :)

SugarJen Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7031annie 

That is cute. I know what you mean about adults touching the cake. I once made cupcake bouquets for a charity auction. They were kept covered until right before auction started. I had to keep repeating myself that the roses were indeed made of icing. One guy just could help himself I guess as he touched one and said " they just look so real, if they taste as good as they look they are amazing " I then told him " well you can find out because you just bought it as I can't leave it on the auction as you are not wearing gloves. thank you for your donation to our auction" I don't think he will be touching any cake he doesn't want to buy anymore as it embarrassed him and with my price quote the charity received a nice donation. We were auctioning off many donated sometimes dusty things besides foods and we had boxes of gloves for each food item if they needed to be handled in anyway. I had no idea what he had on his fingers and grossed me out .

That was a great way to handle that!

BeesKnees578 Posted 7 May 2014 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by as you wish 

Awesome cake! I am betting the touchers were men. Nothing against men, but they are so tactile! I am amazed at what my husband will touch because he wants to "know what it feels like"; I can usually tell what something will feel like just looking at it.

 

That's funny...that is normally ME!  I have to touch everything in the stores.  Rather annoying really....but sometimes things look luxurious but feel cheap.  My kids hate it.  Then I get annoyed when I see them touching stuff!

 

No wonder I was my hands immediately when I get home from shopping.  I hate the feeling of my hands touching the cart handle, plus all the stuff I touch. 

 

But NOOOOOOO would I ever touch someone else's food, except my kid's, course!

 

Yuck!

SugarJen Posted 7 May 2014 , 9:13pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 
 

But NOOOOOOO would I ever touch someone else's food, except my kid's, course!

 

Yuck!

But you'd think that it's common sense. I love touching too, especially furry things,  but like you, I'd never touch something that was meant to be eaten.  lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%