I Am Stuck!! Need Help With A Tiered Cake With Pillar Supports..!

Decorating By mandsie Updated 7 May 2014 , 9:10pm by mandsie

mandsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandsie Posted 7 May 2014 , 11:44am
post #1 of 4

Hi all, I really hope someone can help me here. 

I'm a self taught cake decorator of about 2 years experience.. I've been asked to do something like this.. and I'm a bit stuck!

The bottom tier is going to be a dummy.. with two tiers of mud on top. Will this make the cake too top heavy??

Also regarding the edges.. I'm not 100% sure how to go about it, but I figure I can use a board the size of the lower tier, and carve the sides from the outer top edge to the board..?

I've also never used the pillar supports, and quite frankly am freaking out a wee bit! The top is going to be fiddly as hell..

Appreciate any help you can offer, thanks!! x

3 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 May 2014 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 4

That shouldn't really be too hard to do.  Are you talking about using a plate and pillar system?  If so, you will need to choose plates slightly smaller than the cake above so that the pillars will have enough space in the cake below that they can be pushed in without breaking the sides of the cake.  You can then place the next cake on whatever side board you need to support it then set it on top of the plate below.  You will have to likely cut the pillars off to get the space between the tiers as shown, but over all this should be pretty easy and would be sturdy.

If you don't want to use a plate and pillar system, you could use a base board with a wooden or steel center rod centered in it.  You then cut a hole in the center of each cake board you plan to put the cakes on (wooden or masonite boards would be great here) to allow it to be slide down over the center rod.  You would but and place a dowel in the corner of each cake the height needed for the space, then, as you slid the cakes down over the center rod, they would come to rest of the dowels placed in the corner of each cake.

Either way would work fine.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 May 2014 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 4

Also, as to the shape, the easiest way to accomplish that would be to carve your layers upside down.  Place the cake on a board the size of the top of the cake, place the smaller bottom board on top and use the two board to guide your carving, then flip the cake over and you've got the shape carved and ready to cover.

mandsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandsie Posted 7 May 2014 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much Jeff! I'm going to have to do a little more research on the plate and pillar system.  I think that's the main part I'm nervous aboout because it's something new. Thanks for your help!! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%