How Long Will Fondant Last

Decorating By cherlie694 Updated 7 May 2014 , 5:56pm by Gingerlocks

cherlie694 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherlie694 Posted 6 May 2014 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everybody.

I've only used fondant a few times so I need some help. I bought some Wilton fondant today and need to practice with it before I do the final cake in 2 1/2 weeks. If I open the package now, will it still be okay by the time I need it again and how is the best way to store it?

2 replies
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 6 May 2014 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 3

If you open it, best to seal it in a plastic freezer bag and store that in an airtight plastic container. As far as I know , it will then last forever. haha Seriously, I've never kept it long enough to find out. Someone probably knows.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 7 May 2014 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherlie694 

Hi everybody.

I've only used fondant a few times so I need some help. I bought some Wilton fondant today and need to practice with it before I do the final cake in 2 1/2 weeks. If I open the package now, will it still be okay by the time I need it again and how is the best way to store it?

Since you are using the Wilton fondant; kneed it really well first and the give it a good coating in shortening, and then put it in the freezer bag and container. Wilton will get these odd little hard bits in it if you leave it..and it doesn't have to be for very long; even just a week or so. 

But the shortening coating should help it last. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%