Double Board Ganache Method

Baking By bubs1stbirthday Updated 8 May 2014 , 12:46am by FlourPots

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 6 May 2014 , 4:19am
post #1 of 6

With all the talk that has been going on about Ganache lately I thought I would give it a go, I can now see how much easier it would be to cover Ganache with fondant as compared to buttercream :-)

My question is about the double board method.

When I lifted the board after smoothing the sides of the cake I expected to find a nice smooth top, however I found a lumpy mess that I had to try and fix by hand. Unfortunately I also managed to wreck the sides while doing so and so got plenty of practice.

Does anyone else use the double board method or have one that they can recommend for ganache?

Do you have any tips for getting a level finish on top.

Can you give me some advice on how to avoid/fix drag marks that came about, particularly at the corners while smoothing.

Thankyou.

5 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 6 May 2014 , 4:41am
post #2 of 6

ATry the upside down method. You still use two boards..but you spread the icing on a piece of parchment and you are able to smooth it out to make it even. You can google it jessicakes has a tutorial. She's using buttercream but it's the exact same principle. There's also a tutorial on YouTube by Tlbcakes that Shows you. It's fast and the tops are always nice and even

bubs1stbirthday Posted 6 May 2014 , 11:35am
post #3 of 6

Thankyou for your advice Morgan, I will have a look into the upside down method.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 6 May 2014 , 11:59am
post #4 of 6
bubs1stbirthday Posted 7 May 2014 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 6

Thankyou for the link to the tutorial FlourPots. I was also hoping to get other peoples opinions on how they found the method I used and how they found other ones they had tried:-)

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 8 May 2014 , 12:46am
post #6 of 6

You're welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%