6" Tiers Instead Of 4" Tiers....how Much Extra Do You Charge?

Business By lkern777 Updated 6 May 2014 , 5:03pm by AZCouture

lkern777 Posted 5 May 2014 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 10

I'm just curious how others charge for extended height tiers.

 

Do you charge more for a cake that is 6" tall instead of 4" tall? It's obviously more cake, so I think it should cost more, but I don't know how much more.

 

Any suggestions?

 

Thanks! 

9 replies
matthewkyrankelly Posted 5 May 2014 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 10

You should charge 50% more for the six inch cake.  So if you charge $3.50 for the 4 " cake, charge $5.25 for the 6 " cake.  There is half-again more cake in the 6 inch cake - no matter the diameter.

lkern777 Posted 5 May 2014 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly 
 

You should charge 50% more for the six inch cake.  So if you charge $3.50 for the 4 " cake, charge $5.25 for the 6 " cake.  There is half-again more cake in the 6 inch cake - no matter the diameter.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking.

Boyka Posted 5 May 2014 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 10

AWoww, I would just ask the same question. If I do a 8 inch cake, should I split it into 2 x4 inch, if I do that, how I cut the cake then?!? Would not it be messy?:(

costumeczar Posted 6 May 2014 , 2:03am
post #5 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyka 

Woww, I would just ask the same question.
If I do a 8 inch cake, should I split it into 2 x4 inch, if I do that, how I cut the cake then?!? Would not it be messy?icon_sad.gif

Yes, venues hate the taller tiers because they don't fit on dessert plates and they're hard to cut without making the whole piece fall apart.

TheItalianBaker Posted 6 May 2014 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 10

A

Original message sent by Boyka

Woww, I would just ask the same question. If I do a 8 inch cake, should I split it into 2 x4 inch, if I do that, how I cut the cake then?!? Would not it be messy?:(

Do you mean 8inch tall? Well you need to put a cardboard in between, dowels and everything.. Like it was a tiered cake, just same size. That's what I would do at least!

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 10

yes keeping venues happy is actually higher in importance than keeping the bride happy imo--both are vital of course

Claire138 Posted 6 May 2014 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheItalianBaker 


Do you mean 8inch tall? Well you need to put a cardboard in between, dowels and everything.. Like it was a tiered cake, just same size.
That's what I would do at least!

 

I recently did a DB cake and that's what I did. Would have been way to nervous to do it without the internal support.

costumeczar Posted 6 May 2014 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 10

8" tall should definitely be done with a boards and support in between two four-inch tiers. There are a lot of cakes that have three 2" layers being done now, though, and those are the ones the venues don't like. I could give you a laundry list of things they don't like that a lot of bakers think are the "right" thing to do, but if you make a venue's job more difficult they won't be the right thing for your business because you'll lose referrals from them!

AZCouture Posted 6 May 2014 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 10

AOh heck yes to that costume. Need to be besties with the good venues in town!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%