Ubc For Petite Fours? Also, Cake Types?

Baking By craftybanana Updated 8 May 2014 , 10:56pm by craftybanana

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 4 May 2014 , 1:11am
post #1 of 10

Is the UBC recipe the right kind of recipe for petite fours? I don't really know what gets used for what type. I hear about sponge cakes, yellow cake, butter cakes, mudcakes, etc, but I don't really know what those types are typically used for. If someone could enlighten me I'd be grateful :smile:.

What I want to do is make the UBC recipe this week, then divide it into squares, freeze it, then coat in chocolate, like a square cake pop without the stick. Then I want to decorate it with swirls made out of a thick glaze (glace?) or royal cookie icing. Well, that's my plan anyways.

I've been getting stir crazy lately, so I've been wanting to try out some different recipes.

(Edited for typos)

9 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 May 2014 , 2:05am
post #2 of 10

This gal is awesome!!!   I followed her instructions and made three full batches of Petit fours.

(photos in my gallery)  shout out to ddaigle for the tutorial. I used pound cake and for some crazy reason that I can't explain, the normally firm cake was as tender and soft and melt in your mouth as could be - after being iced with buttercream an encased in poured fondant.

http://cakecentral.com/a/how-to-do-petit-fours-my-way

http://www.woodlandbakeryblog.com/poured-fondant-icing/

craftybanana Posted 5 May 2014 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the link. I had seen that tutorial a while back and had forgotten about it, it is now bookmarked!

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 5 May 2014 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 10

What is UBC?

craftybanana Posted 6 May 2014 , 1:17am
post #5 of 10

Ultimate Butter Cake, it's a recipe you have to buy or google to get the recipe. It got really good reviews :)

@ MBalaska: and I think I will do the petite fours with a pound cake like in that recipe. I'm going to try the Five Flavor Pound Cake recipe I found on here by ltkittakat.

craftybanana Posted 7 May 2014 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 10

So what about cake types? Between yellow, butter, and sponge cakes, which do you guys prefer for cupcakes?

I was reading and saw that an Angel Food Cake is a sponge-type, so that helps me out with that one.

I saw some people have already asked about Mudcakes, so I won't ask about that one. I gather that it's a dense chocolate cake, good for carving. Sounded too dense for cupcakes.

Edit: I guess I'll have to make the 5-flavor pound cake a 2-flavor one for now since I'm missing 3 extracts, lols

MBalaska Posted 7 May 2014 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 10

This is my 'pound' cake recipe that I used in the petit fours, you could put any flavorings in it.

2 - 8" or 2 - 9" rounds

6 oz.   BUTTER  (soft)  

13 oz. SUGAR    (gran.)

Beat together for five (5) mins. On Med.

4    EGGS    (lg.)

2 tsps. VANILLA  EXTRACT        

Add: & beat on low for a few seconds to combine. Scrape bowl.  Beat on Med. 3 mins.

9 oz.    FLOUR A.P.    (sifted)

¾ tsp. BAKING POWDER

½ tsp. SALT

Sift flour in bowl, add BP & Salt. Stir with whisk.

½ cup SOUR CREAM  

½ cup WHOLE MILK  

Add flour alternately with milk & sour cream. On Low.

1/3 flour,   milk,   1/3 flour,  sour cream,  1/3 flour.

Mix on medium for two minutes. 

Bake at 350 until done, start checking at 25 mins.

JerryLINY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JerryLINY Posted 7 May 2014 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 10

What type of flour do you use- bleached or unbleached?

MBalaska Posted 7 May 2014 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 10

all purpose 'gold metal' flour on the grocery store shelf, regular stuff.

craftybanana Posted 8 May 2014 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 10

I will add that recipe to my list of ones to try :). I think you misunderstood though, I wasn't looking for a recipe, there were two different questions being asked, but I ran them together like a run-on sentence, oops, lols. But nevermind on the 2nd question, I'll just bite the bullet and make the butter cake too.... my hubby is going to kill me when he sees the kitchen, especially since I should be sleeping when the baby sleeps. Instead I'm baking :oops:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%