Square Cake Questions

Decorating By teresadutton Updated 12 May 2014 , 4:04pm by cakebaby2

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2014 , 5:08pm
post #31 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by teresadutton 

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH K8memphis!! I love this "bloom, where you're planted" That is EXACTLY what I intend on doing!!! THANK YOU!!

*:-)/\:-) high five 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 May 2014 , 5:49pm
post #32 of 46

I was summoned by@AZCouture...

Exactly, ignore everyone who run profitable businesses who are warning you about REAL problems it looks like you're facing and choose to listen only to the advice that says you just go right ahead and do what you want even if it doesn't make financial sense. That's an excellent business plan.

You need to really look at whether there's a place for custom cakes that will make you a profit in your area. I've lived in some small towns and it's not the same type game as larger areas. There might not be a way that you can ever charge enough to make any money at cakes, unless your idea of making money is $3 an hour. It's very nice to hear someone say bloom where you're planted, but it doesn't always work out. You need to be realistic. If you're not making money at something you have a hobby, not a business.

I'll post the link AZ was talking about and another one:

http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2012/04/no-theres-not-enough-work-for-everyone.html

http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/search?q=small+towns

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 10 May 2014 , 9:26pm
post #33 of 46

AThanks for posting that, I just need to bookmark the dang thing for future reference. Google will [B]not[/B] find it for me when I ask!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 10 May 2014 , 9:30pm
post #34 of 46

Agree ^^^ Not even sure why I bothered with all this below after reading that.

OP, if you're 20 miles form the suburbs of a major metropolitan area, that's not rural in terms of being able to sell high end cakes in a big city. I say 20 miles because that's how the Inn at Little Washington is situated. That's why the food critic bothered to drive out to him three weeks after opening - it wasn't that far.

The phrase "met with immediate success" should have been a tip of to somebody.  This guy marketed himself as a getaway for the rich and powerful, because he was right in their backyard. Btw, dinner is now $168 per person there. He is not serving his neighbors.

You were so lucky to get advice from people who actually know what they're taking about. You think they were rude to give you the truth? You think it was clever to not read all their posts? Hmmm...well, each to his own, I guess.

A little forum savvy for you - here are some common types of posters you'll see on any forum. It's far from a comprehensive list.

1) Some will post to give you the benefit of their expert experience

2) Some post to be liked - they'll say anything to make you like them. And they want everyone to see that you like them. It can a way to feel superior to those who are less or not liked.

3) Some are "forum experts" meaning they have no practical experience or real knowledge. They pretend to know a lot, but are parroting what they've read. The ae experts of the forum, but not the subject of the forum.

4) Some have an agenda, as in pushing a product

5) Some are trolls, people who get a kick out of upsetting you

6) Some are forum "helpfuls" - typically nice people not pretending to be experts, but are repeating stuff they've read that sounds good to them. They probably let you know it's something they've read.

7) Forum helpfuls type 2 - they aren't experts, but give you the benefit of their personal experience

8) Speculators - these people don't believe anything is established fact and think an uneducated or inexperienced opinion is as valid as the opinion of a person who really knows the answer.

9) Can't we just all get along types. These people care more about peace than accurate information. Sometimes they are very concerned about how things are worded.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 10 May 2014 , 9:46pm
post #35 of 46

AThat's a pretty good breakdown, Howsweet.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 May 2014 , 9:52pm
post #36 of 46

so, not much point in anyone joined in forums then. 

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 May 2014 , 9:56pm
post #37 of 46

Sometimes I get notes of thanks, which is nice. But mostly, MB, I've made some good friends here. Not what I expected when I first joined, but those folks have made it worth my time.

howsweet Posted 10 May 2014 , 10:01pm
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

so, not much point in anyone joined in forums then. 

???

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 10 May 2014 , 10:14pm
post #39 of 46

AI think anymore advice will just fall on deaf ears, ladies. Why bother.

howsweet Posted 10 May 2014 , 10:15pm
post #40 of 46

Yep :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmPamCakes 

That's a pretty good breakdown, Howsweet.

Lol, it's just what came to mind. I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg. I just looked to see if someone had made a real list and came across this. Mostly applies to Facebook, but i got a kick out it.

howsweet Posted 10 May 2014 , 10:26pm
post #41 of 46

Besides...It's Caturday!!

natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 10 May 2014 , 10:40pm
post #42 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

not at all that anyone here was antagonizing but he had bazillions of hurdles to climb over-- i'm just saying:

"nothing worthwhile is easy"

But not everything that is a struggle is worthwhile. Just sayin'.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 May 2014 , 11:27pm
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I think anymore advice will just fall on deaf ears, ladies. Why bother.

Deaf ears on that one, yes. But we did get to read howsweet's awesome list of common types of posters.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 May 2014 , 12:24am
post #44 of 46

A

Original message sent by natt12321

But not everything that is a struggle is worthwhile. Just sayin'.

So true! [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3224728/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 May 2014 , 1:06am
post #45 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Sometimes I get notes of thanks, which is nice. But mostly, MB, I've made some good friends here. Not what I expected when I first joined, but those folks have made it worth my time.

That's a nice note to receive.  Glad that you're still active in teaching and sharing your knowledge.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 12 May 2014 , 4:04pm
post #46 of 46

A

Original message sent by teresadutton

I am a newbie and I am going to be making a square 2 tier (10" and 8") cake soon. Do you dowel these just like you would a round? Do you double layer just like you would a round? Any secrets I need to know about the corners?

THANK SO MUCH!!

I think the op is off to practice her corners.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%