Mini Mouse Face , Really ?

Business By wafawafa Updated 4 May 2014 , 7:24pm by Traceya8777

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 3 May 2014 , 11:04am
post #1 of 13

AHi every body ,

I have this order in the weekened , the customer asked for 3 tier cake topped with minni mouse face standimg topper

Here is the pic [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3229461/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

She called me at the end of the day complaining the cake was hard to cut ( i assumed she was talking about ganache i p ut underneath fondant )

Her big complain wy the minni mouse face was has a brown tape in the back [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3229896/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

She thinks its unprofessinal to have brown tape in the back of minni mouse face And its not prifessional to have straws in the cake ( the bubble straws was only for the top tier , the middle and bottom tiers were supported by sps ) Then she asked for refund

Relly ? U want a refund coz the topper was supported from the back by brown tape !!!

P.s. She didnt tell me to make it edible topper , she only said minni mouse topper and its the brown tape which bother h

12 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 3 May 2014 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 13

Well.....I actually see her point about the tape.  Had the cake been in the center of a room and viewable from all sides, it would have been a huge problem.  Given that it looks like it was displayed in front of a mirror, it probably was a problem, anyway.

It's always better to professionally, properly finish things.  In this case, if the only option for supporting the topper was taping it to the straw, then a blank head silhouette of fondant (or even black paper) should have been adhered to the back with double sided tape or chocolate.

As for the straws, she just needs to know that they were necessary for support and are an accepted professional practice.

If it were me, no refund.  Maybe a small discount on a future order.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 3 May 2014 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 13

AWhy wasn't the top edible? Unless otherwise specified, you always make items edible. Second, we may expect that a cake has a front and a back, but the back can't be unsightly. Third, this is why I don't use straws - some customers are going to think it's cheap.

That said, I'd be inclined to see if she'd accept a refund for the topper. I'd have probably charged something like $45 for something that size and detail and I'd over that.

I can't see the pictures very well, but it looks like there are some other problems like with the name placard maybe?

What did you charge her?

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 3 May 2014 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 13

AI get weird looks for using bubble tea straws too! A client even asked if they don't melt during baking!! Bwahahaha ;) but really, it's no different than using wooden dowels which i think is worse because in my mind i think the cake surrounding the dowel will have a "woody" taste to it. And bubba straws are food safe! Hello?! We drink from it! Sigh, cake muggles! ;)

Ps. Cute cake! :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2014 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattyeatscakes 

I get weird looks for using bubble tea straws too! A client even asked if they don't melt during baking!! Bwahahaha icon_wink.gif but really, it's no different than using wooden dowels which i think is worse because in my mind i think the cake surrounding the dowel will have a "woody" taste to it. And bubba straws are food safe! Hello?! We drink from it! Sigh, cake muggles! icon_wink.gif

Ps. Cute cake! icon_smile.gif

melt during baking --that is hysterical! hahaha lol

the wooden ones certainly can impart that woodsy off flavor--some peeps dip them in wax to prevent this--

the biggest problem i see with the plastic straws is if they are all inserted then snipped off--could be big trouble--what you do of course is insert & measure one, pull it out and then cut all to that height then all inserted--

and if you need to reinforce the straws--you can slide wooden dowel in there

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 3 May 2014 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 13

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

[I][COLOR=FF0000]melt during baking --that is hysterical! hahaha lol[/COLOR][/I]

and if you need to reinforce the straws--you can slide wooden dowel in there

[COLOR=00FFFF]♥[/COLOR]

That, my friend, is overkill!!!! Bwahahaha ;)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2014 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 13

have it your way ;)

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 3 May 2014 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 13

Sorry to say it but I am going to have to agree that the topper looks terrible and if it were stuck on my cake like that I would be embarrassed, it should have been double sided or backed in some way. I will also have to agree with Howsweet that the cake does indeed have other flaws.

The name plate looks like someone scribbled on it instead of a beautiful classy name plate that I would want as a paying customer. The fondant ribbon around the top tier is also rather bumpy due to the fondant strips running underneath it. The picture is very grainy so it is hard to see the cake clearly.

I know that my cakes are far from perfect (and I would be the first to point out the flaws rather than just accept praise from my friends ...... mental note to self..... must stop that lol) however if you sell your cakes you really must hold yourself to a higher standard than a home baker.

I agree that the topper most certainly should have been agreed upon with your customer as to whether it was made edible or not.

Hopefully you learn from this experience.

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 3 May 2014 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 13

I do agree that the topper wasn't done as nicely as it maybe should have been but a full refund? No way! Like others stated maybe offer a discount on a future cake or a small percentage back for good measure.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 May 2014 , 12:55am
post #10 of 13

AYou also shouldn't be selling trademarked or copyrighted characters...do a search on here for copyright violations, there are loads of threads about it on here.

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 4 May 2014 , 8:45am
post #11 of 13

AThanks all for ur replies

When she made the order she said she want a minni face topper standing on the top The medium cant be edible coz its too hot here too humid , and the cake will be outdorr for a long time

Regards the name plaque , she didnt tell me to put a name in the cake , when we assembled the tiers , she said oh please put a name on the cake i forgot to tell about the name So i put the place in that place when we were in her garden , and she was ok with it

Maybe i did a mistake , yes i should cover the back of the cardboard so it doesnt show up

Thanks everybody

Phaedramax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phaedramax Posted 4 May 2014 , 4:51pm
post #12 of 13

My exp: 2 Flat pop cycle sticks sold at craft stores work best that way you could have done face on both sides as for the name gumpaste would have stayed flat better than fresh fondant.

Traceya8777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Traceya8777 Posted 4 May 2014 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 13

AInvest in a glue gun and white foam core board. I think the topper is fine. If you cut it out of the white foam core it is neater looking and you can glue gun a dowel to the back and stick it into the cake. As far as a refund is concerned its a personal choice. Some sort if gesture is always good business practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%