tessholly1 Posted 2 May 2014 , 8:49am
post #1 of

AI would really love some advice on what are the best cake tins to buy, where to get them from and more importantly how much should I be looking at paying?? My orders are increasing so I think it may be time to get some decent cake tins however iv had a quick browse and they seem very expensive!!..is this normal, should I be expecting to pay a lot to begin with??

20 replies
pastrypet Posted 6 May 2014 , 7:35pm
post #2 of

I, like a lot of people, use Parrish Magic Line. Some I got from Amazon. Lots of people also like Fat Daddios.

Claire138 Posted 6 May 2014 , 8:23pm
post #3 of

Magic Line, Magic Line, Magic Line. End.

howsweet Posted 6 May 2014 , 10:10pm
post #4 of

I agree. And I hate the several square tins I have from Fat Daddios with the rounded corners.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 6 May 2014 , 10:23pm
post #5 of

Hmm. Regarding Magic Line: from the pictures, I can't quite make out how the corners are formed. For some reason, I was expecting folded corners (like some Chicago Metallic pans I've seen), but these look like they might be arc-welded (if so, that would explain why they fetch a premium price). I've got to get a better look at one.

 

For Bundt molds, my understanding is that Nordic Ware (the inventor of the Bundt mold, and the trademark owner of the name) is the best, but I do just fine with a Calphalon. On the other hand, I think my best 9x13 sheet pan (the heavy-gauge stamped- or hydro-formed aluminum one with the snap-on plastic lid) is a Nordic Ware. On the other hand, my 8x8 square is a cheap Wilton, but it works just fine.

 

Seems to me that folded corners would be a nightmare to keep clean, and a cross-contamination incident waiting to happen.

Natka81 Posted 6 May 2014 , 10:28pm
post #6 of

I use Magic Line too.

howsweet Posted 7 May 2014 , 4:07pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 
 

Hmm. Regarding Magic Line: from the pictures, I can't quite make out how the corners are formed. For some reason, I was expecting folded corners (like some Chicago Metallic pans I've seen), but these look like they might be arc-welded (if so, that would explain why they fetch a premium price). I've got to get a better look at one.

 

For Bundt molds, my understanding is that Nordic Ware (the inventor of the Bundt mold, and the trademark owner of the name) is the best, but I do just fine with a Calphalon. On the other hand, I think my best 9x13 sheet pan (the heavy-gauge stamped- or hydro-formed aluminum one with the snap-on plastic lid) is a Nordic Ware. On the other hand, my 8x8 square is a cheap Wilton, but it works just fine.

 

Seems to me that folded corners would be a nightmare to keep clean, and a cross-contamination incident waiting to happen.


I haven't seen the folded corners, but I put up to 16x16 in in the dishwasher. Edit: Oh I know what you're talking about - I have a loaf pan with folded corners. No, the magic line pans don't have them.

morganchampagne Posted 7 May 2014 , 5:47pm
post #8 of

A

Original message sent by Claire138

Magic Line, Magic Line, Magic Line. End.

Basically this.

leah_s Posted 7 May 2014 , 6:18pm
post #9 of

^ agreed.

AZCouture Posted 7 May 2014 , 6:29pm

AAnd don't forget Magic Line.

SugarJen Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:21pm

Haha- I'm only a hobby baker. But I have to agree with everyone else. Magic Line. And they're really not expensive!

mhcl Posted 8 May 2014 , 1:34am

Ta-Da!!!  Get it?  Because if you get it, you'll get it. :wink:

AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 1:47am

AAbracadabra?

mhcl Posted 8 May 2014 , 2:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Abracadabra?


Haha!  Is that the new line? I hear it's far superior than it's previous line Poof!

 Maybe it's just me but when I hear that word..Abracadabra..I can't help but hear Bugs Bunny singing in my head...Ladadeedadada..abracadabra...ladadeedadada...hocus pocus..

If nobody else knows to what I'm referring, I just embarrassed myself in front of the whole interwebs and I need to stop watching so much dvr'd Looney Tunes with my kids.

AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 2:46am

A[@]mhcl[/@], nothing to be embarrassed about, I am [B]quite[/B] sure more than one person "SMDH" at what I write often. Actually, I know of at least one that does. ;-)

JWinslow Posted 8 May 2014 , 3:42pm

Love my Magic Line - especially the square ones.  Love the sharp corners my cakes have even before I start with icing and ganache. 

MBalaska Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:14am

One thing that I don't like is the silicone cupcake and cake pans.  Everything stuck to them, so I had to grease them up like regular pans, and It was really annoying to have the so called pans flopping and bendy like jello.  Into the trash they went.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 9 May 2014 , 6:14am

ANever tried silicone pans; I suspect that people either love them or hate them. I don't like non-stick coatings, myself, except on things like Bundt molds and waffle irons, where they're almost a necessity. Although I wonder if the new ceramic nonstick coatings might be more to my liking. For that matter, I don't care for nonstick sprays ("edible mold-release") (although I note that the silicone oil in them is none other than simethicone, the same de-foaming agent used as an anti-flatulence additive in certain antacids, and as the active ingredient of older flatulence remedies, like Mylicon and Gas-X, and except for de-foaming your stomach contents, it's about as bio-inert as anything)

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 4:12pm

Re: Magic Line

 

I did some window shopping last week, when I picked up the edible print for my "52-pickup, still playing with a full deck" cake. The cake supply shop had some Magic Line pans, so I was able to get a good look at them.

 

I see why they command such a high price. The workmanship is beautiful; the corners appear to be arc-welded, probably either TIG or MIG, and as with pressed, spun, or hydroformed pans, there are no impossible-to-clean recesses that might harbor contaminants.

 

If I did enough baking to justify the cost, I'd have bought it in a second.

craftybanana Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 4:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcl 
 


Haha!  Is that the new line? I hear it's far superior than it's previous line Poof!

 Maybe it's just me but when I hear that word..Abracadabra..I can't help but hear Bugs Bunny singing in my head...Ladadeedadada..abracadabra...ladadeedadada...hocus pocus..

If nobody else knows to what I'm referring, I just embarrassed myself in front of the whole interwebs and I need to stop watching so much dvr'd Looney Tunes with my kids.


I know exactly what you're talking about :party: I think we had that on vhs as a kid, along with Mr Ed and other nice memorable ones. I am looking at putting Magic line on my Christmas list though.... or I might buy them now... ;)

craftybanana Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 4:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 
 

One thing that I don't like is the silicone cupcake and cake pans.  Everything stuck to them, so I had to grease them up like regular pans, and It was really annoying to have the so called pans flopping and bendy like jello.  Into the trash they went.


I actually have some silicone cupcake molds I bought from the Target dollar spot several years ago. They clean up nice and are dishwasher safe. I do use cupcake liners though, so nothing really sticks. For my nice silicone round pan though, if I don't dust it with plenty of flour, stuff does stick, but it cleans up nice. The only thing I don't like about it is that I have to adjust the oven, and I forgot up or down it's been so long since I used the round one.:grin:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%