Love It, Or Hate It , Current Wedding. Cake Trends!

Decorating By kisamarie Updated 13 Jul 2014 , 11:43pm by Cakes By Alie

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 20 May 2014 , 12:08pm
post #91 of 128

AHere's how the rustic burlapy bridal shower cake came out for my goddaughter - before and after adding the extras. It was actually pretty! [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3238645/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3238644/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 20 May 2014 , 1:10pm
post #92 of 128

AI am trying to figure out how to attach a picture, I can't find the attach button anywhere. Help!

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 20 May 2014 , 1:22pm
post #93 of 128

AJust above the reply box you type in there is an icon that looks like a postcard with mountains. Click that one :)

cai0311 Posted 20 May 2014 , 1:30pm
post #94 of 128

AI see no icon that looks like that. So I will just post a link.

I did a burlap cake, but it isn't the typical burlap cake posted previously. I liked the way it came out. http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3031958/4-tier-cake-covered-with-chocolate-cigarellos/

I am tired of the plain white iced cake, ribbon wrapped around tier and flowers on cake in 3 bunches. I feel like that is all I make.

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 20 May 2014 , 9:29pm
post #95 of 128

The red box is around the icon that you click on to include a picture in your post.

cai0311 Posted 20 May 2014 , 10:15pm
post #96 of 128

AI do not see any of those options when I post.

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 20 May 2014 , 10:38pm
post #97 of 128

Are you on a phone? I don't know what it looks like on a phone.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 May 2014 , 11:00pm
post #98 of 128

A

Original message sent by cai0311

I see no icon that looks like that. So I will just post a link.

I did a burlap cake, but it isn't the typical burlap cake posted previously. I liked the way it came out. http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3031958/4-tier-cake-covered-with-chocolate-cigarellos/

I am tired of the plain white iced cake, ribbon wrapped around tier and flowers on cake in 3 bunches. I feel like that is all I make.

Well that's different! So next time someone contacts you about ordering a wedding cake, before they get a chance to show you a picture of another dang white cake with ribbon, let them know you'll be happy to custom design something. Ask them for their invitations, and pictures of the dress, and what they'll decorate the reception like. Work from there.

cai0311 Posted 21 May 2014 , 12:19am
post #99 of 128

AI always tell a bride to bring an invitation/save the date, color swatches, a picture of their dress and any other elements they have picked out (ie. center pieces, flowers...).

Half my brides bring a picture of a cake they have seen that they want me to duplicate. The other half let me custom design something. But even then I hear all the time "design something simple, with a ribbon and we want flowers on the cake".

cai0311 Posted 21 May 2014 , 12:20am
post #100 of 128

AOn my iPad I see those options pastry pet, but on my work computer I don't.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 May 2014 , 12:40am
post #101 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by 810whitechoc 

I live in a beachside area so my idealised version of a barn looks pretty cool in my head, which got me wondering if your barn is the equivalent of a wedding in the local surf club (very big around here).  At the end of the day it's not it's not a very romantic place to have a wedding, it's just a surf club with memorabilia, surf club stuff etc on the walls.

I live just up the coast from you, and have had my share of Surf Club weddings too! I don't mind them, actually, as long as its not the seashell and frangipani type :-)

We have a fabulous relatively new Surf House venue up here now, and the wedding cake styles have been everything from vintage to ultra modern. But nothing burlap, TG. That's all my Hunter valley clients :-/

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 21 May 2014 , 1:47am
post #102 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311 

I do not see any of those options when I post.

Try moving your cursor slowly over the icons until the words "Insert Image" appear. Click on that icon and a box will open. Follow the instructions.

cai0311 Posted 21 May 2014 , 2:42am
post #103 of 128

AMimi, My work computer has all kinds of restrictions on it. On my iPad all the text options, attachment options...show up. On my work computer, which is what I was posting from earlier, blocks a lot of options on cc.

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 21 May 2014 , 3:33am
post #104 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evoir 

I live just up the coast from you, and have had my share of Surf Club weddings too! I don't mind them, actually, as long as its not the seashell and frangipani type :-)

We have a fabulous relatively new Surf House venue up here now, and the wedding cake styles have been everything from vintage to ultra modern. But nothing burlap, TG. That's all my Hunter valley clients :-/

Ahhh , I have done lots of Seashell and frangis. I could make frangis in my sleep , I would have to admit sometimes I have. I also have every seashell mould known to cake kind. 

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 May 2014 , 3:37am
post #105 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimimakescakes 

Ahhh , I have done lots of Seashell and frangis. I could make frangis in my sleep , I would have to admit sometimes I have. I also have every seashell mould known to cake kind. 

I have too many silicone and chocolate (plastic) seashell moulds too. Frangis, I actually used to like them before the freaking back-of-the-car deluge of frangipani stickers craze a few years ago! They are definitely one of the easier flowers to make :-)

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 21 May 2014 , 3:52am
post #106 of 128

I still teach my students how to make them , I find it gets them used to manipulating petals and making an unwired arrangement . Without them getting too frustrated. 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 21 May 2014 , 11:20am
post #107 of 128

Frangipanis were one of the very first flowers I learned to make 25 years ago.  They were extremely uncommon back then.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 21 May 2014 , 2:39pm
post #108 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311 

Mimi,
My work computer has all kinds of restrictions on it. On my iPad all the text options, attachment options...show up. On my work computer, which is what I was posting from earlier, blocks a lot of options on cc.

I suppose employers have computer restrictions so employees don't spend work time doing personal things while at work. :wink: 

cai0311 Posted 22 May 2014 , 3:32am
post #109 of 128

AHow else does one get through a work day?:lol:

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 May 2014 , 6:54am
post #110 of 128

It used to be by reading books.......in the stone age before the internet.  I watched an antiques show today and saw a bunch of stuff that we used in Alaska when I moved here.  Antiques my sweet big toe :evil:

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 22 May 2014 , 10:10am
post #111 of 128

cai buy a Kindle

cai0311 Posted 22 May 2014 , 2:28pm
post #112 of 128

AI have an iPad

gen2026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gen2026 Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 8:46pm
post #113 of 128

That is definitely not a look I have seen around here.....but then our area is usually way behind the trends! :)  

Is that cake fondant or buttercream based AZ?   it is very artistic looking........

gen2026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gen2026 Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 9:12pm
post #114 of 128

I am sorry, it has been quite a while since I have been on this site, and I posted the above post while on page 1 - looking at the cake AZ posted................. didn't realize there were so many more pages to the post!   I was referring to her cake.  Sorry for the confusion

Being in the south and in a rural area I see a lot of burlap themed weddings and cakes......

I am not a decorator - just a novice trying to learn, but my son is recently engaged and his finance wants me to do their cake.  Thankfully she wants the rough or rustic buttercream and I am thinking SURELY I could do that ....who would know if I messed it up! LOL    Not sure how easy it is, but I am thinking it must be easier than my attempts to get buttercream perfectly smooth! :)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 12:42am
post #115 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by gen2026 

I am sorry, it has been quite a while since I have been on this site, and I posted the above post while on page 1 - looking at the cake AZ posted................. didn't realize there were so many more pages to the post!   I was referring to her cake.  Sorry for the confusion

Being in the south and in a rural area I see a lot of burlap themed weddings and cakes......

I am not a decorator - just a novice trying to learn, but my son is recently engaged and his finance wants me to do their cake.  Thankfully she wants the rough or rustic buttercream and I am thinking SURELY I could do that ....who would know if I messed it up! LOL    Not sure how easy it is, but I am thinking it must be easier than my attempts to get buttercream perfectly smooth! :)

I love doing the rustic icing, bang bang bang, it's done and you can go take a nap. I like naps.

AZCouture Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 4:10am
post #116 of 128

I agree with you @costumeczar. Took a few years, but I don't mind them now. Just last Saturday, I went from wrapped individual layers of cake, to delivered four tier cake in two hours flat. That included the prep of two batches of SMBC, chilling time for stacking, etc. Don't ask.....

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 11:38am
post #117 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I agree with you @costumeczar. Took a few years, but I don't mind them now. Just last Saturday, I went from wrapped individual layers of cake, to delivered four tier cake in two hours flat. That included the prep of two batches of SMBC, chilling time for stacking, etc. Don't ask.....

Hahaha! Sounds like a moment of panic was involved...

AZCouture Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 3:31pm
post #118 of 128

AIndeed.

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 4:50am
post #119 of 128

ASigh..... Consultation day tomorrow, with 8 different brides, let's take bets on how many pick burlap :(

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 10:26am
post #120 of 128

Thanks, made me laugh.  My bet will be 5 out of 8.  It is winding down, but not fast enough.  Neither is birch bark.  Here's one from yesterdays wedding.  The Groom made the birch bark display in the background which will eventually hold pastries.  The cake has both molded and stenciled ferns.  No I didn't make the chairs.  I do have a mold for them but this couple wanted the wood grain showing/natural look.   Good luck today and let us know if I was right.  :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%