Love It, Or Hate It , Current Wedding. Cake Trends!

Decorating By kisamarie Updated 13 Jul 2014 , 11:43pm by Cakes By Alie

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 1 May 2014 , 9:40pm
post #31 of 128

A

Original message sent by Relznik

Depending on where in the world you are, burlap is also called hessian (in the UK it's hessian....  I had to look it up! :D )

Well shoot...hessian sounds exotic!

AZCouture Posted 1 May 2014 , 9:41pm
post #32 of 128

AThank you [@]kisamarie[/@]!

And [@]MBalaska[/@], that is too kind of ya, I hope if anyone ever gets one of my cakes in their inboxes, they don't wanna "throw it up"...lol :D

AZCouture Posted 1 May 2014 , 9:46pm
post #33 of 128

AI 'spose I can't say there is anything I hate, that's pretty strong, but again yeah, swiss dots and burlap. I remember strongly disliking bare designs until I actually learned how to not make them look like a monkey iced them.

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 1 May 2014 , 9:50pm
post #34 of 128

ALol! Hessian, does sound a lot better!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 1 May 2014 , 9:54pm
post #35 of 128

AZCouture, your cake is absolutely stunning!  It is truly a magnificent piece of art!

AZCouture Posted 1 May 2014 , 10:03pm
post #36 of 128

A

Original message sent by ladyellam

AZCouture, your cake is absolutely stunning!  It is truly a magnificent piece of art!

Secret time: easiest design ever...soooo easy. Thanks!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 1 May 2014 , 10:15pm
post #37 of 128

It's just gorgeous, AZ!

AZCouture Posted 1 May 2014 , 10:49pm
post #38 of 128

AThank you ma'am! Making one this weekend, same flowers and everything. Maybe. I get to do my thang, so maybe I'll do something different, not sure yet.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 May 2014 , 2:43am
post #39 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 
"......I hope if anyone ever gets one of my cakes in their inboxes, they don't wanna "throw it up"...lol icon_biggrin.gif

Well Hay ! there is a good side here you're all forgettin', Ya gotta' eat it first  to toss it later. :D 

ps: edited for punctuation, you know that 'eating grandma' problem

AZCouture Posted 2 May 2014 , 2:54am
post #40 of 128

Heh heh.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:11am
post #41 of 128

I didn't realize Swiss dots made a comeback....those were popular when my friend got married 10+ years ago.

Maybe they never went out, a classic?

AZCouture Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:38am
post #42 of 128

AYeah, I think that's a classic style that is always going to be popular with some. It's immune to "trends".

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:44am
post #43 of 128

Burlap was used for clothing by extremely poor people.  They would cut holes into burlap bags that had contained dry goods and turn them into shifts.  My brain sees it as a bit of an oxymoron- and elegant, expensive cake with cheap burlap on it.

AZCouture Posted 2 May 2014 , 4:02am
post #44 of 128
AZCouture Posted 2 May 2014 , 4:06am
post #45 of 128

Ahttps://blog.etsy.com/en/2011/handmade-weddings-depression-era-hobo/

Here's the lowdown on it from the "creative" couple. (rolling eyes)

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 2 May 2014 , 4:17am
post #46 of 128

My niece, who lives near the very refined, very wealthy, ahem, Princeton, NJ, wants a burlap wrap around her wedding shower cake!! She and my sister in law think it's rustic, and country!!! I actually live in the country and we don't use burlap for anything! If she wants country, I can put some chicken poop from my chickens on her cake, that's country!!

I don't have any idea where these ridiculous trends start. Burlap. Please,

Nancy

AZCouture Posted 2 May 2014 , 4:44am
post #47 of 128

AChicken poop..start a new trend Nancy!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 2 May 2014 , 6:08am
post #48 of 128

Had a quick peek this morning to see what a burlap cake is, not my taste but I can see why someone would want it (this is supposing that I found the right style).

AZ on the other hand your cake is gorgeous.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 2 May 2014 , 8:06am
post #49 of 128

Ha, a cheap hobo wedding (because they didn't have very much money) that ONLY cost $15,000?

pookashnoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookashnoo Posted 2 May 2014 , 9:24am
post #50 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Burlap is a rough woven fabric often associated with livestock and potato sacks. It's not what I think of when discussing fine cakes.

Mimi your description actually cracked me up!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 2 May 2014 , 9:35am
post #51 of 128

AI've seen the threads with people talking about burlap, didn't know what it was, didn't think too much about it. But hessian? Really? It stinks! And I don't mean stinks as in not good, I mean smells really bad and leaves it's smell on anything it touches. Why would anyone want hessian wrapped around something they're going to eat?! I've never seen a hessian wrapped cake, maybe it hasn't caught on over here yet!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2014 , 9:48am
post #52 of 128

thank god for that, maisie

-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2014 , 10:15am
post #53 of 128

it's sprinkling food with the barnyard floor -- yoiks 

-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2014 , 10:32am
post #54 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

it's sprinkling food with the barnyard floor -- yoiks 

oh wow--i'm trying to be subtle saying, 'barnyard dust' while nancylee calls it like she sees it with "chicken poop" yes exactly and o.m.g. that's food borne illness hazard at it's finest -- earlier in my career i would have applied the burlap if anyone wanted it --maybe i have can't remember-- but i would flat out refuse now --diplomatically of course-- no way jose--

this would be good for the divorce cake idea often bandied about but never really caught on -- where the exes give each other the 'eat sh*t' cake  --y'know burlap cakes could be the tipping point :lol: 

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 2 May 2014 , 11:27am
post #55 of 128

I had not heard of this style of cake until I read this thread and it seems a little too rustic to me - plus - I have never liked hessian since I was expected to sew and embroider a table mat when I was at school several hundred years ago.  I couldn't stand the stuff......and it made me itch.....:-(

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 May 2014 , 2:07pm
post #56 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire138 

a burlap cake is, not my taste...  

Great pun, Claire, in light of all the burlap descriptions. 

AZCouture Posted 2 May 2014 , 2:28pm
post #57 of 128

A

Original message sent by cazza1

Ha, a cheap hobo wedding (because they didn't have very much money) that ONLY cost $15,000?

Right? There is so much wrong with that theme, it's hard to pick a place to start.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 2 May 2014 , 7:20pm
post #58 of 128

Oh my goodness- that hobo thing is just gross? I don't event think they had shoes on:roll:

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 May 2014 , 8:19pm
post #59 of 128

for hundreds of years people dressed up for their wedding day, a special celebration.  Even the poorest of the poor, the deepest dweller in the woods, the farmer in the farthest rural farm; bought - borrowed - or made -  something nicer than their normal everyday clothing.  When did themes, and costumes, and comedy acts enter into wedding ceremonies? 

mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 2 May 2014 , 8:23pm
post #60 of 128

AThis is slightly off topic, but my cousin fancies herself a home decorator( her house has been in a couple of magazines). When they decided to adopt a baby, the nursery became her newest showpiece. My mom, aunt and I were tasked with the bedding. We had to make the bumper pads from burlap. Comfy for a little baby. He was born in July, and it got hot. Keeping in mind that we washed all the fabric, when the burlap got hot, a bunch of worms hatched all over the crib. Imagine that happening all over a wedding cake. Mmmm, tasty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%