Cake Business...please Put My Mind At Rest!

Business By Tiddylicious Updated 5 May 2014 , 12:03am by cazza1

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 1 May 2014 , 7:32am
post #1 of 21

First of all hello all ;-D

Is there anyone that can help me sleep tonight!
I recently decided to start up a cake decorating business from home. I have previously run a wedding shop but wanted to do something completely different!
Anyway I have set up a website, been in touch with local council, got the hygiene catering certificate today and spent a fortune on equipment etc...
My main worry is that firstly I have pets :-t and i was initially worried about this but i am lucky enough to have a room that will be solely for the business of decorating the cakes so I wasnt to concerned. I will be baking in the kitchen and transferring straight to said room.
Well today, having completed the hygiene certificate a few things on there have worried me, firstly the pets and secondly my floor! I have oak wood floors and am concerned this will be a no no for my room :-(
Not sure I can afford to replace or want to!
Have any of you had concerns similar? Ive put so much into this now that panic is setting in and causing a few sleepless nights 8-O

Thank you in advance!

Heres a recent creation!

20 replies
DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 1 May 2014 , 8:44am
post #2 of 21

Love the shoe!  Fab!  Not sure where you are based but there have been lots of threads on this topic previously.  I now no longer have any pets and don't intend to get any more - what sort are yours?  Can they be contained somewhere or are they free to roam?  Have a word with your H&S inspector at your council about the flooring is all I can suggest.  I am sure others will be more knowledgeable than me - I just wanted to stop by to compliment your shoe! :wink:

Tiddylicious Posted 1 May 2014 , 9:09am
post #3 of 21

Thank you! :-D

I am in Wales UK. We have two small dogs (easily contained) and a monster white german shepherd! He tends to roam and is very fluffy!

I had even thought of buying the cakes in so the kitchen wouldn't be such a problem but I dont really want to do that.

Just really worried that after all the hard work something like this will stop me in my tracks :x

DaysCakes Posted 1 May 2014 , 10:04am
post #4 of 21

Come over to the UK thread - there are lots of bakers from your part of the world on there and we have a wealth of experience.

Kathy

Tiddylicious Posted 1 May 2014 , 10:19am
post #5 of 21

I have had a look and there seem to be loads :cry: can you post the link please :-D

DaysCakes Posted 1 May 2014 , 10:23am
post #6 of 21

Do you mean to the UK thread?  Sure:  http://cakecentral.com/t/622656/a-thread-for-all-uk-bakers/5685#post_7510214

Tell them Kathy sent you! :wink:

You'll be among friends - they are a great group of people.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 1 May 2014 , 11:16am
post #7 of 21

If the UK is anything like North America in regards to bakery laws, it means they vary from area to area. Get in touch with your local health authorities, and they can give you the answer!

I can't see how wooden floor would be a problem though, I have them in the tasting/show area of my bakery, which is only separated from the kitchen by a partition wall. They only cared about the actual cooking area being able to have a floor drain.
Mine is a commercial kitchen, so the rules are a lot stricter where I am than for home bakers.

anaelisabethlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anaelisabethlee Posted 1 May 2014 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 21

AI have two cats, and was worried about the same thing. However, I had a good chat with my local EHO at the council and he said it was no problem. I have to make sure of the following: I can stop them from being in the kitchen (cat flap locks and door shuts I wash down the kitchen and floors before I start, then disinfect counters etc

I absolutely do both of those before caking for customers. He just said "your home is your home, then if you need it for commercial purposes, then convert it" by cleaning down etc

The only thing I'm wondering about though, is whether you have washing facilities in your caking room - sounded like it was separate to kitchen?

I think wooden floor should be fine, he never asked me the type of floor, counters or cabinets I had.

Oh, I do need a 1+1/4 sink, OR use a bowl for dirty utensils. However, a dishwasher is just as good.

Hope that helps :)

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 1 May 2014 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 21

Kathy - I love your tag line!

Tiddylicious Posted 1 May 2014 , 8:20pm
post #10 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by anaelisabethlee 

I have two cats, and was worried about the same thing. However, I had a good chat with my local EHO at the council and he said it was no problem. I have to make sure of the following:
I can stop them from being in the kitchen (cat flap locks and door shuts
I wash down the kitchen and floors before I start, then disinfect counters etc

I absolutely do both of those before caking for customers. He just said "your home is your home, then if you need it for commercial purposes, then convert it" by cleaning down etc

The only thing I'm wondering about though, is whether you have washing facilities in your caking room - sounded like it was separate to kitchen?

I think wooden floor should be fine, he never asked me the type of floor, counters or cabinets I had.

Oh, I do need a 1+1/4 sink, OR use a bowl for dirty utensils. However, a dishwasher is just as good.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Hi, I do have a seperate sink with a elbow tap too so not worried about that :grin: Im going to stop stressing about it now lol but thank you!

DaysCakes Posted 1 May 2014 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 21

:-D Thanks Claire!  Love your avatar!

Kathy

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 1 May 2014 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 21

Last time I checked, in Texas, it's perfectly legal to bake and decorate with a parrot on your shoulder, while carrying your ferret in a little sling while your monkeys swing around from cabinet to cabinet.  And... you can bring your cat along on cake deliveries. I mention that last part  because at a state health committee hearing a health department official complained that she's had reports of cats on deliveries and was powerless to investigate do anything about it.  I could probably locate the video if anyone is skeptical.

howsweet Posted 1 May 2014 , 9:54pm
post #13 of 21

And regarding the oak floors - it would be a shame if there was an objection to that. Best of luck to you! :D

anaelisabethlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anaelisabethlee Posted 1 May 2014 , 9:55pm
post #14 of 21

A

Original message sent by howsweet

Last time I checked, in Texas, it's perfectly legal to bake and decorate with a parrot on your shoulder, while carrying your ferret in a little sling while your monkeys swing around from cabinet to cabinet.  [I]And[/I]... you can bring your cat along on cake deliveries. I mention that last part  because at a state health committee hearing a health department official complained that she's had reports of cats on deliveries and was powerless to investigate do anything about it.  I could probably locate the video if anyone is skeptical.

Good grief!!

Makes for an amusing mental image - thanks! ;)

howsweet Posted 2 May 2014 , 5:21am
post #15 of 21

It was such a bizarre story that no one believed her.  How could anyone bring a cat on a cake delivery?

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 2 May 2014 , 5:47am
post #16 of 21

AI had a general idea of what I needed to do in order to build a seperate kitchen in my home (the rules in my state and county are more strict) even though there are several bakers in my area that dismiss the rules but that's a different story. The first thing I did was contact my local Heath department (I've been baking & decorating before but hadn't decided to turn it into an actual business) anyway, they were super helpful. They gave me checklist, room layouts, contact info, just tons of info. I purchased some used equipment along the way, it took a while, so I can understand your frustration! My daughter has begged for a dog every Christmas and birthday for as long as I can remember. So there will be struggles and things you have to sacrifice along the way but if your determined to make it happen then you will. Obviously the rules are probably quite different in the UK. Good luck and hang in there!

DaysCakes Posted 2 May 2014 , 7:35am
post #17 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

Last time I checked, in Texas, it's perfectly legal to bake and decorate with a parrot on your shoulder, while carrying your ferret in a little sling while your monkeys swing around from cabinet to cabinet.  And... you can bring your cat along on cake deliveries. I mention that last part  because at a state health committee hearing a health department official complained that she's had reports of cats on deliveries and was powerless to investigate do anything about it.  I could probably locate the video if anyone is skeptical.

Oh my goodness!  Funny, but I am guessing totally serious - it takes all sorts, eh?

howsweet Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:58pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysCakes 

Oh my goodness!  Funny, but I am guessing totally serious - it takes all sorts, eh?

A lot of craziness in this state. It's embarrassing sometimes to tell people I'm from Texas because people from other places make certain assumptions. We are not allowed to create a separate kitchen like Smkinney above.. Apparently that made sense to somebody.

But right now the state of Georgia has topped even our bizarre laws. They just passed a law saying it's ok to take concealed handguns into bars, churches and airports.Can you imagine? Honey, we're going to be late to church hurry up! Hold on sugar, I just have to grab my gun and we can go. Wth?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 May 2014 , 4:11pm
post #19 of 21

Cats on deliveries? Probably legal in Tennesee too!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 May 2014 , 11:17pm
post #20 of 21

AWe used to have a tenant who had a kitten she would stick inside the front of her jacket when she went somewhere. The cat would just stay there, which I could never believe. If i tried to do that with any cat I've ever owned it would have clawed the living .$)(;?$ out of me in an escape attempt.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 5 May 2014 , 12:03am
post #21 of 21

Ha, I'm not even allowed to take a pair of embroidery scissors in to the main part of the airport and you are allowed to take guns!  Go figure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%