Fondant Vs Buttercream

Decorating By cherlie694 Updated 6 May 2014 , 10:53pm by cherlie694

cherlie694 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherlie694 Posted 1 May 2014 , 3:14am
post #1 of 9

Hello!

I am doing a 12x18x2 graduation cake for my niece next month for graduation and she has asked for polka dots.

My original thought was I would use buttercream for the base and do the polka dots out of fondant but the more I think about it, I think I need to do one or the other because the look of it might be weird. I've worked more with buttercream but I have experience with fondant so I could do either or. So my question is this .... which is better?

And if I do buttercream, how could I do the polka dots so they are all different sizes and shapes?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

8 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 1 May 2014 , 3:30am
post #2 of 9

My suggestion would be to ask the person who wants the cake to be made because there are many people who do not even know what fondant is.  Before I knew about cakes, all I had ever tasted was butter cream and would have hated having fondant on a cake. Some people love fondant and others hate it. So the choice should be left up to the person ordering the cake. That way, there are no surprises and less chance of people complaining. 

acakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakedecorator Posted 1 May 2014 , 3:43am
post #3 of 9

I use fondant accents on buttercream all the time and I do not think it looks weird, neither do any of my customers. :)

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 1 May 2014 , 4:44am
post #4 of 9

Very common to use fondant accents on buttercream.  In fact, a client recently gave me the option to do all fondant or buttercream with fondant accents, and I chose buttercream because I liked the look of contrast between the two.  You should check out CorrieCakes.  She does amazing work with fondant on buttercream.  

Honestly, I've never done polka dots in buttercream because they end up looking weird to me.  Fondant accents are so much neater and cleaner, IMO!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 1 May 2014 , 5:25am
post #5 of 9

Wow! I did and she doesn't incredible work with buttercream

Look at this one - lots of sheet cakes, too. I wonder what kind of icing this is.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 1 May 2014 , 5:39am
post #6 of 9

ABeautiful, right?!? Definitely buttercream with fondant accents, but no clue which recipe she uses.

mhcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhcl Posted 1 May 2014 , 12:16pm
post #7 of 9

I believe she says on her fb page that it's a crusting buttercream.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 1 May 2014 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 9

ACorrie is a robot I think, I don't know how else to explain her perfect work. ;-)

cherlie694 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherlie694 Posted 6 May 2014 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you everybody for the information. I was overthinking it, probably :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%