Isomalt Gem Not Shiny

Sugar Work By pmom01 Updated 8 May 2014 , 5:58pm by pmom01

pmom01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmom01 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 6

AFirst time ever using Isomalt to make Gem..I created my own silicone mold using Amazing Mold Putty...heated isomalt nibs in microwave per instructions...then added drop of color after melted and stirred. Poured into silicone mold...after it cooled I removed from mold.....back of gem is shiny but front side is dull...do not understand why....any ideas? Anyone else ever used this type of mold with Isomalt? Works great for fondant.

5 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 1 May 2014 , 12:18am
post #2 of 6

Do you have a blowtorch?  Just "kiss" it with the torch and it should clear up.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 May 2014 , 12:23am
post #3 of 6

god yes that's the best reason to work with sugar--bphwooshshshshsfffftttts--

stand back, kids--she's gotta blow torch! heheheheheh :lol: 

need to make some creme brulee

pmom01 Posted 1 May 2014 , 1:04am
post #4 of 6

AOh Thank you so much! I do not have a blowtorch but I'm going to get one since I am excited about working with sugar.....I had done some research and read that you could use to remove bubbles in sugar but not dullness...I really appreciate your quick reply...Cake Central is really a Great website!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 May 2014 , 1:53am
post #5 of 6

Any type of silicone mold tends to make jewels that have a slight texture to the surface when you pour isomalt in. The torch will work, or you can try rubbing them with some vegetable oil first, sometimes that takes care of it. To get really shiny jewels you need the hard plastic molds, or silicone molds that are made from glass jewels, not the plastic ones that you get at the craft store. (I've noticed that the molds I make from vintage pins with glass stones work better than the ones made with plastic jewels.)

pmom01 Posted 8 May 2014 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 6

AThank you costumeczar for the information! I wii keep that in mind for next time

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%