AFirst time ever using Isomalt to make Gem..I created my own silicone mold using Amazing Mold Putty...heated isomalt nibs in microwave per instructions...then added drop of color after melted and stirred. Poured into silicone mold...after it cooled I removed from mold.....back of gem is shiny but front side is dull...do not understand why....any ideas? Anyone else ever used this type of mold with Isomalt? Works great for fondant.
Do you have a blowtorch? Just "kiss" it with the torch and it should clear up.
god yes that's the best reason to work with sugar--bphwooshshshshsfffftttts--
stand back, kids--she's gotta blow torch! heheheheheh
need to make some creme brulee
AOh Thank you so much! I do not have a blowtorch but I'm going to get one since I am excited about working with sugar.....I had done some research and read that you could use to remove bubbles in sugar but not dullness...I really appreciate your quick reply...Cake Central is really a Great website!
Any type of silicone mold tends to make jewels that have a slight texture to the surface when you pour isomalt in. The torch will work, or you can try rubbing them with some vegetable oil first, sometimes that takes care of it. To get really shiny jewels you need the hard plastic molds, or silicone molds that are made from glass jewels, not the plastic ones that you get at the craft store. (I've noticed that the molds I make from vintage pins with glass stones work better than the ones made with plastic jewels.)
AThank you costumeczar for the information! I wii keep that in mind for next time