Baking With A Sick Child In The House?

Decorating By aluvs2bake Updated 30 Apr 2014 , 3:09pm by aluvs2bake

aluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aluvs2bake Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 5

Hi!

So, my child has a sore throat.  He did have a fever on Sunday and Monday, but has been fever free since Monday evening.  He has no other symptoms except his throat and cough.  My other two children have just started coughing a little, but no fevers.  I have a cake for a friend due on Saturday for an 8-year old.  It is a cake that I could easily get done in one day if I had to.  If my children do not get better though, I was thinking of baking and decorating at night only when they are asleep.  Is that okay?  What would you do?

Thanx!

~Amanda

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 5

you are free & clear when they are fever free--with only cough & sore throat -- 'course don't let them near anything--but you knew that--just saying--i know you know this but wash your hands like you're a surgeon--really get hyper vigilant about it before during and after you touch anything--you can wear disposable gloves too--and keep changing them as needed through out the process --

if someone gets a fever and you can securely quarantine them like your bakery is in a separate building go for it--otherwise maybe get the cake going now while it's safe to proceed -- that way if you get all deco, baking, icing done in the free zone--

wow though hmmm i would disenfect the entire world of my house and if you had a air purifier i would whip it out in the kitchen too--

probably would be ok if no fevers and then be as down & dirty serious as you can get with food safety and disenfecting even  the air if possible--

i'd bake it now--this is why freezers are important indespensible tools--or i'd cancel erring on the side of safety

aluvs2bake Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you for your advice!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 5

I agree, you will be fine baking, as long as you wash your hands and don't let your kid cough all over your cake.  The stomach flu is the virus I would stop baking over until my house was sanitized.

aluvs2bake Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 5

Thanx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%