Fondant Decorations Stretching All Out Of Shape When I Try To Apply To Cake...?

Decorating By katespate Updated 30 Apr 2014 , 1:17pm by kellyk1234

katespate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katespate Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 2:59am
post #1 of 9

How do you transfer a large flat fondant decoration, say a lace mold pattern or company logo without it stretching? I tried and my logo stretched all out of shape. Is there a technique that I am missing? Thanks!

8 replies
thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 3:10am
post #2 of 9

Freeze it.

rbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbcakes Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 3:12am
post #3 of 9

AGoogle jessicakes wax paper transfer method. It works really well. Otherwise you need to let the fondant dry more before you move it, or use modelling chocolate which doesn't stretch as much.

rbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbcakes Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 3:12am
post #4 of 9

AFreezing is another option too :)

katespate Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 3:20am
post #5 of 9

AThanks all :)

Jakes Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jakes Cakes Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 4:43am
post #6 of 9

plus add some tylose to stiffen it :-)

katespate Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 11:08am
post #7 of 9

AI added gumtex

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 9

AI suggest Jessica Harris's wax paper transfer method too. Make sure the side you want to face the outside of the cake is laying down on the counter, brush the back with either a little shortening or gum glue (gumpaste dissolved in warm water), and just stick a peice of wax paper (that's a little larger then the decoration) to the back. Then you will be able to pick it up and place it on the cake like a sticker. Just slowly peel the wax paper off after the decoration is pressed against the cake.

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 9

ASorry I meant side you want facing the outside has to face up, put little shortening (NOT gum glue), stick the wax paper on. Flip it over and then apply more shortening or gum glue this time and stick that side to the cake. If there is still a little shortening film on the front of the image after you pull the wax paper off, you can clean it up with a q tip or lightly rub with a paper towel once the fondant has dried. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%