Dragees And Buttercream Help!!

Decorating By cassie61499 Updated 29 Apr 2014 , 11:28pm by -K8memphis

cassie61499 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 2

I am doing my first (and probably last) wedding cake this week.  I've attached a picture of what the bride wants.  What's the best way to apply the dragees in this situation?  It's only going to be 2 tiers (12 in and 8in 4" high)  I'm using butterceam to frost the cake since they do not want fondant.  Oh....did I mention I only have 2 days left to decorate this cake??  

1 reply
-K8memphis Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 2

set the freshly iced 12" tier on the pedestal turntable--if you don't have one--place an upturned 6" pan on your flat turntable and set the cake on there with something to keep it all from sliding around so you can turn it easy--like nubbly shelf liner-- i have been known to rip it out from under glasses in my cupboard when i couldn't find my stash--ahem--anyhow---

the cake needs to be on a board the exact same sizeas the cake for this to work best--place a pan under there to catch all the loose dragees--get a small one layer handful of dragees and press them up against the fresh icing--if the icing has crusted--just spatula over it so the dragees stick--good news you don't have to totally kill yourself smoothing it because of the dragees--yay!!!

apply the bulk of them just like you would cover the sides of a cake with chopped nuts--then go back and fill in where you need more--one by one--you can pipe a dot of piping gel or brush it on to make the single ones stick--

if you have the pedestal turntable turn it upside down to set the 8" on it so you have enough room to do this--

since the tiers are on boards that are the exact same size --when you are finished decorating you can then set the cake on the larger presentation drum, board, plateau whatever you got--glue the boards together with hot glue or a smear of icing--the board the tier is on when you apply the dragees needs to be inflexible--therefore the larger board does not need to be that thick -- it just for looks kwim --

it's not hard at all--goes pretty fast--no worries--just smash 'em on there & fill in where needed--easy peasy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%