Red Velvet Cake With Sour Cream

Baking By vmanbakes Updated 29 Apr 2014 , 7:22pm by howsweet

vmanbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmanbakes Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 2

I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for red velvet cake that has sour cream in it. I read that sour cream makes a cake moister. I have seen cake recipes that uses butter that also use sour cream but I have not seen any oil based cake recipe that call for sour cream, I wonder if the oil based cake would be too moist if you add sour cream to it?  I tried Cake Boss's white velvet cake recipe which uses butter and sourcream and it was good and I am planning on using it as a base for a red velvet cake. The thing is I wanted to use popcorn oil found on the popcorn oil in the grocery store, since it is buttered flavored to see if it produces a better tasting cake than plain vegetable oil.

Here is the recipe

Cake Boss White Velvet cake

18.25oz cake mix with pudding in the mix(Pillsbury or Betty Crocker) which is one 15.25oz box plus 3 oz from another box.

1 cup of cake flour'

1 cup of sugar

3 eggs

1/2 cup butter

8oz sour cream

1tsp vanilla extract

1 cup water

1 reply
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 2

AVelvet is just a word people like to use to name a cake flavor. So a white velvet cake recipe is not likely to have anything to do with red velvet cake. Red velvet cake is a subtly flavored buttermilk cake. To use a mix to make red velvet, I think I'd start with a red velvet mix and look for doctoring recipes which involve sour cream. I'm sure there are plenty if you Google it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%