Best White Chocolate For Ganache?

Decorating By lcubed83 Updated 1 May 2014 , 1:04am by kellyk1234

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 8

What is the best white chocolate for ganache?  shopping local grocery store and Walmart

Thank you!!

7 replies
kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 8

I use either Bakers Brand or Ghirardelli baking bars. Ghirardelli is a little better quality than Bakers brand (tastes better too), but it's a bit more expensive, like maybe 10 cents.  Just make sure the white chocolate has cocoa butter listed in the ingredients, it's a crucial ingredient. White chocolate chips do not have this ingredient in them.  

lcubed83 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 12:05am
post #3 of 8

Thanks!  I went back and got the Ghirardelli bars.  Ganache setting now...

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 3:10am
post #4 of 8

AI know you already made this, but just wanted to chime in and say that Aldi's white chocolate is really good. The brand is Choceur (I think, not sure on spelling), and I think it has a great flavor. sometimes white chocolate can taste a but funky to me, but this tasted very good. It is real cocoa butter as well.

Just for the future or others who stumble on this thread.

Also..it's way cheaper than ghirardelli.

lcubed83 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the heads up on Aldi!  I never thought to look there, where I get almost everything else!

What a night last night!!  I have ganached cakes before, but never had the issues I had last night.  I finally got the 12 inch tier covered at 2am, then got the other two tiers torted and filled by 3am!!  I made up a 4:1 ratio white ganache using 56 oz of chocolate, and have none left!  I tried hot knifing, but still have rough spots.  I put in the fridge, so will try again this morning.  I am really not looking forward to the other two tiers, esp since I have to go get more white choc!!

Fondant has to go on today, as we pack and head out tomorrow.  My son's Scholar Bowl final tourny is today too!  Never a dull moment!

kellyk1234 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 8

ASorry to hear about that long night you had! Been there too! But white chocolate ganache should be a 3:1 ratio. I can imagine that it would be way too soft with 4:1

lcubed83 Posted 1 May 2014 , 12:31am
post #7 of 8

Thanks, Kelly!  Actually adding more chocolate made it firmer.  (I researched A LOT before going ahead!)  Mixing up fondant color now, and have to cover three tiers tonight.  We hit the road in the morning!!

kellyk1234 Posted 1 May 2014 , 1:04am
post #8 of 8

AOh yea, I'm having a "DUH" moment! I was thinking more cream to the chocolate! :roll:

Post some pictures of your finished cake! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%