Client Not As Thrilled About The Flavor As You Had Hoped?

Business By RMBCakes Updated 29 Apr 2014 , 11:42pm by costumeczar

RMBCakes Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 3:46am
post #1 of 7

AI had a client (I'm a newbie on my 6th cake) who loved how it turned out. Since I know her from Facebook I asked how it tasted. Now, I honestly expected her to say amazing because I had about 12 people try it and, being a cake aficionado, I really felt it was one of the best I've ever had. It was lemon with lemon curd and lemon buttercream. I'm a new baker so when she said her husband didn't like it as much as she did (he likes tart lemon and she didn't tell me that), I got discouraged. Is this a normal thing?

6 replies
bubs1stbirthday Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 3:58am
post #2 of 7

Of course it is normal - peoples tastes are all incredibly different, if you love the taste and are proud to stand by it then I wouldn't worry too much. We used to sell a lemon tart at the café where I worked (house made of course :-) ) and it was sweet instead of tart and while most people loved it you would certainly get others that would say they preferred more of a tart note to their lemon desserts.

Pastrybaglady Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 6:43am
post #3 of 7

AI think it's very normal. The range of lemon is very wide from just the essence or scent of lemon to mouth puckering, gland twitching tartness. My preference leans towards the latter but it makes my husband wince.

RMBCakes Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 6:50am
post #4 of 7

AYou all are making me feel so much better. I want my cakes to look and taste amazing. I guess I should be happy that at least 12 people tried my test batch and thought it was out of this world. So, it's just one person. Sure would have been nice if they had told me they like tart. But I also didn't ask which is my fault. I will be working on a new recipe to add to my offerings...a super, duper, crazy tart lemon.

TheSugarLab Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 7

Oh yea! It's totally common for people to have different tastes. I love when I do tastings because its an easy way to get feedback on flavors. With my lemon cake, I have some people say its nice and light while others will say its very lemon. It just depends on people's palate. 

If you are ever worried about a flavor, go with the general consensus. You aren't going to please everyone but if many people don't like something, then that's when you tweak it. 

DeliciousDesserts Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 7

AThis is the exact reason there are so many flavor possibilities. I'm always amazed at the varied tastes of my clients.

I have noticed that those who like the white vanilla typically prefer it to the yellow almond and vice versa. It's rare someone likes both of those equally.

Some people love the subtle taste of my lemon while others prefer the baker down the street with a more prominent lemon flavor.

People vary in size, shape, color, and taste!

costumeczar Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 7

I can do tasting appointments back to back and have people with  the exact opposite reactions to the same flavors. Sometimes people at the same appointment will like different things. Nobody likes everything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%