Corn Allergy -- Need Help!

Decorating By Swayman2202 Updated 29 Apr 2014 , 2:37am by FrostedMoon

Swayman2202 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 1:19am
post #1 of 8

Hey everyone! My husband is a firefighter and one of his fire buddies has a daughter that will be turning 1 in June. They have asked me to make her birthday cake. I told them I would do my absolute best to find a recipe. I have dedicated the last month to this and have turned up short. This is my last effort. I am determined to do this!! Please can someone give me a recipe, link to a recipe, or anything?? I will also need an icing recipe I haven't even began looking for that one yet as I wanted the cake recipe first. 

Please, please help me, help this sweet girl get a birthday cake!!! 

7 replies
pastrypet Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 1:23am
post #2 of 8

Have you Googled corn-free cake recipe? I found several including this:

Sassyzan Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 1:28am
post #3 of 8

AWhat is the corn source in your regular cake recipe?

Swiss meringue buttercream is made with regular sugar instead of powdered sugar, so that would avoid the cornstarch. That should work right?

Rfisher Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 1:36am
post #4 of 8

AIf she has a serious allergy, and you already do not have a dedicated allergen free kitchen that included tried and true recipes, I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. I couldn't handle that on my conscience. At all. Good intentions aside.

Swayman2202 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 1:44am
post #5 of 8

That is very true about the allergen free kitchen I did not consider that. 

Baking Powder from my recipe has corn from my research. I use cornstarch in my BC. Powdered Sugar has dextrose. Vanilla extract and food coloring also has corn product. I think to have the best result I just need a fresh recipe.

I did find that website but nearly everything called for baking powder.

Sassyzan Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 1:46am
post #6 of 8
Swayman2202 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 1:58am
post #7 of 8

Thank you!!

FrostedMoon Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 2:37am
post #8 of 8

I have a corn sensitivity, not an anaphalactic reaction, and I can say it is incredibly difficult to find truly corn free products!  I've had reactions to things that don't have corn in them, but were most likely made in a factory with corn, or have ingredients that were derived from corn but don't have to list where they came from.  I'm guessing you prefer a scratch cake, but it may be safer to go with a guaranteed corn free mix from a company like Namaste Foods.  Also, I agree with the concerns about cross contamination in your kitchen.  You may want to talk with the parents more about how cautious they have to be.  Some people react to certain shampoos, tea bags, styrofoam cups, etc etc.  Others like me can tolerate tiny amounts unless they have too much within a specific time frame, then a reaction occurs.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%