Tried And True Scratch Wasc Recipe?

Baking By kparks2 Updated 29 Apr 2014 , 1:55pm by kparks2

kparks2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kparks2 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 12:00am
post #1 of 7

AI have seem many WASC recipes so I apologize for adding another. I market myself as making cakes and cupcakes from scratch and some of the scratch recipes I have seen get mixed reviews and no new ones have been posted in the past two years. Has anyone found any tried and true scratch WASC record from scratch?

6 replies
pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 1:35am
post #2 of 7

WASC uses a cake mix. What do you mean by scratch WASC?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 2:05am
post #3 of 7

White almond sour cream   scratch cake recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/a/a-better-white-scratch-cake

MBalaska Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 2:12am
post #4 of 7

Posted by edencakes

This recipe has been slowly modified by me until I reached something I was quite happy with. Perfect for wedding cakes, birthday cakes and cupcakes, this recipe is very easy to adjust into any flavor you want. I've added: orange juice (subbed for some liquid), instant chai tea powder, peanut butter - you name it! Always a very moist, fine texture, but sturdy enough for wedding and sculpted cakes.

A Better White Scratch Cake

Ingredients

• 5 c cake flour 3 1/3 c sugar 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder 2 tsp salt 2 1/2 c milk 1 1/3 c shortening 16oz sour cream 1 Tbsp vanilla or almond extract 10 egg whites (or 10oz carton egg whites)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven. Prepare your pans as you normally would.
  2. Sift dry ingredients together into mixer bowl.
  3. Add everything but egg whites and mix just until combined. Beat on high for 2 minutes, turn down mixer and add egg whites, return to high and beat for another 2 minutes.
  4. Pour into pans and bake.
  5. This recipe makes 10 cups of batter, but can be halved or doubled (if your mixer can handle it).

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 2:52am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for reposting MBalaska.  I really want to switch to all scratch, but food allergies prevent me from trying new recipes myself and my customers love my doctored box mix cakes, so it's tough to switch.  I hope to make this for a few taste testers and hopefully they can convince me it's as good as my usual cakes!

Thanks again!

MBalaska Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 3:42am
post #6 of 7

FrostedMoon I've been trying a wider variety of new things in the last year from reading about them on this forum, than in the 30 years previous.   And boy have my recipe notebooks gotten fat.:)

kparks2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kparks2 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 7

Pastry Pet.  I know the original recipe is a box cake mix but to me it is a recipe and it does not have to be made solely from a box.  I think the box recipe looks great and I have nothing against it but when I market my services I specifically state that all cakes and frostings are fresh, made from scratch and for me (even thought the customer may not know, using a box as half or the majority of the recipe is not staying true to what I market.  If it were just a few tablespoons I would not mind but a whole box is involved so I was looking for something without the use of a box.

Quote:

WASC uses a cake mix. What do you mean by scratch WASC?

MBalaska.  Thank you so much,  I will try that one out soon and report back but I think I will do half as that looks like I could get a four layer 9" cake from that recipe alone lol.  So since WASC is a popular recipe...do you guys use that solely regardless if a client asks for yellow or white cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%